Tarp
    Mambajamba
    Insulation
    Wooki 30 degree UQ
    Suspension
    Straps & buckles

Campfires

And hammocks....

What are everyone’s general rules? I was thinking of this today as I always try to have a small campfire when camping. It’s bush TV and my assertion of many skills and just part of it. So I try to camp where and when they are allowed but I’m wondering how different it will be doing this with a hammock as opposed to when I used a tent. Any thoughts?

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair, Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG, Zpacks, DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre, HG
    Suspension
    MyersTech
    Images
    No different other than building one big enough to provide some warmth into the night, especially this time of year! I agree with the bush TV analogy too... nothing like sitting around the campfire at night before you hit the sack. Peaceful. I try & tidy up my campsite too & leave the area like I found it before I head out the next morning.

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    A fire is a fire whether you are in a tent or hammock just do not get that fire too close or your tarp may leak.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC and DIY Double Layer
    Tarp
    DIY Hex
    Insulation
    Wooki / Top quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    I've just gone to a titanium wood stove specifically so I can have a small, controllable fire to provide some heat and light (and bush TV).
    The fact that I can cook on it as well is a bonus but not the main reason I bought it.

I will still be keeping it well away from my hammock/tarp.

Senior Member Pennsy Camp and Canoe's Avatar
    Hammock
    Dutchware 11' netless - Dark OG
    Tarp
    DIY 12' Winter hex
    Insulation
    LLG UQ, HG TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch Buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TrailSlug View Post
    A fire is a fire whether you are in a tent or hammock just do not get that fire too close or your tarp may leak.
    agreed, and you'd be surprised how far those hot embers float.

Hammock
    SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images
    The only thing that could be different is how you pick your campsite. If you're stopping at a regular campsite with fire ring, then nothing is really different. However, lots of overused campsites aren't very good for hammocks due to the lack of good medium size trees. Usually a lot of small trees along with big widowmakers. Or, you might just want to hike until you're done and camp where you are, which is more possible in a hammock. For me, its too much trouble to build a fire ring, plus I kind of enjoy the darkness and the ambient light. As I've gone along, I've done a lot more just stopping where I am, and as a result I just don't do fires anymore, even when I have a nice fire ring and some available wood around.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    HG cf w/ doors 12'
    Insulation
    EE TQ
    Suspension
    WB buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisJHC View Post
    I've just gone to a titanium wood stove specifically so I can have a small, controllable fire to provide some heat and light (and bush TV).
    The fact that I can cook on it as well is a bonus but not the main reason I bought it.
    I started this mini wood stove/bush TV ritual on my past couple of trips. When I lived in Wisconsin I'd build a bigger fire--more decent firewood available, more easily than where I camp in Florida. And I wanted the heat. Now I love the little fire right next to me in my camp chair. Although it's dang cold this morning!IMG_3715.jpgfullsizeoutput_2791.jpg

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    I rarely do them for warmth. I like to test/trust my gear and don't like to rely on them. But when it gets dark at 5PM and you're alone, that's a long time to sit without the entertainment factor. As usual, I'll keep them fairly small and low impact. I hate when people feel the need to "build" firepits in the backcountry, digging up rocks and whatever they can find. They're obviously leaving them there when they go and it just turns a nice pristine place into a state park. Then others find them and "improve" the site, making it bushcrafter village. I never needed a "firepit" in my life; clear the ground and don't do anything stupid. I'm sure it may be different out west with -22% humidity in a pine grove, but at that point skip the fire to begin with.

If everyone would keep them modest and clean up afterwards, it would be more enjoyable. Keep the wilderness a wilderness. At least that's my take. I remember Fallkniven doing a nice before/after photo of this...I have no idea which thread, sorry.

Senior Member Wilderness Seeker's Avatar
    Hammock
    SLD TL, AMOK
    Tarp
    SLD TH, WB SF
    Insulation
    JRB GL3,GL4,HSS
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    When out hiking I skip the fire, but if I fell the need to watch brush TV or just want the companionship of a fire I use a candle lantern. If I am car camping I usually have a fire.

Hammock
    DIY TCF Sage Green
    Tarp
    Noah's Tarp 12x12
    Insulation
    MAMW TQ, UGQ UQ
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopies
    Images
    I normally don't do fires on a backpacking trip. However, I just got back from a trip with a low of 13 and it was cold for this GA boy, so I had a small fire in the evening to help keep me warm while I cooked dinner. Like OneClick mentioned above, I just cleared a small area in a sheltered spot, had a small fire just big enough for me, and when i was done I stomped it out and the next morning covered it back up with leaves. Unless someone moves those leaves for some reason no one will ever know there was a fire there.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast