DIY ROBIC
    Tarp
    OES MacCat SilPoly
    Insulation
    down bag, Klymit
    Suspension
    Kevlar+Str.Anchors

Sewing Parts Score

We have a local "creative reuse" store, and they've got a lot of odds and ends for sewing -- fabric, trim, thread, etc. Also about a dozen sewing machines of all vintages, most for only $15.

I've been shopping for various snap-on feet for different DIY sewing tasks. It dawned on me that this reuse store might have some feet... and sure enough, today I found they had two bins of 'em! Many old and heavily built, many I have no idea what they are. But I scored a few today, $1 each:

IMG_0847.jpg

Clockwise from top left: a walking foot (seems much better built than the new one I just bought, which will be returned), what I think is a binder attachment foot, a 1/8" rolled hem foot, and a teeny-tiny rolled hem foot.

There were others that looked really cool... may have to try to ID them.

I hope that you take this in the intended informative spirit, but I don't know how know much you know about sewing machine attatchments. I just want to help, and to be sure that you don't mess up your machine or a project. I am assuming that you have a normal, recent sewing machine, which unless it is a high end model that takes specific feet, will be a machine that uses short shank feet.

If you haven't already, check the part number on the walking foot to make sure that it isn't a slant shank foot instead of a short shank. Most Singer parts are stamped with the part number somewhere, and easy to Google. That will also probably get you a manual, or at least some lubrication and usage info. Don't try to use it until you've cleaned it up. The older ones are better than the new ones. Better manufactring practices and standards.

The one below it looks as if it might be a long shank foot, but I can't be completely certain from the photo. If so, it will only fit a small number domestic machines. Short shank and long shank are not interchangable.

None of these are snap on feet, just normal feet. Which you probably do know, but I'm just being careful.

Hammock
    DIY ROBIC
    Tarp
    OES MacCat SilPoly
    Insulation
    down bag, Klymit
    Suspension
    Kevlar+Str.Anchors
    Ha, yeah, they are not snap-on -- the new feet sets I was looking at were snap-on (with an adaptor) and these are not snap-on.

My machine is older, from the 80s, and it has a short shank. The walking foot lines up exactly with the new one. (I also realized that it's missing the actual foot part, but I think I might have seen it floating around in the bin... will go back and check, and can always return it if the part is gone.)

I haven't tried the others yet but am looking forward to it. That 1/8 rolled hem foot does look longer, but if I recall correctly, the back divot for the screw went down pretty far... in any case I can bring it back if it doesn't fit.

Thanks for your help -- I agree, better safe than sorry.

Maybe I'll get some photos of some of the other, weirder and more complicated feet in the bin...would be interesting to know what they're for.

Walking feet (aka even feed feet) for home machines are very helpful for some things, like matching pattern pieces when sewing clothing or piecing together quilt tops. Some kinds of industrials, many sergers, and a small number of home sewing machines have a built in version. One of my machines, a Pfaff, has that feature, but I rarely use it. Having the pressure of the presser bar correctly adjusted, using the right foot for the job, matching pieces carefully, and going slowly are more important than even feed, generally. I use a 70s Kenmore for most of my sewing, because it is sturdy and simple.

And I see that last night I called it a long shank. Sorry, I misnamed, the correct term is high shank. Best way to know is to measure. High shank feet measure about an inch tall, low/short shank about 1/2 an inch. I've spent a lot of time sorting out boxes of presser feet and trying to identify them. I'd be happy to make an educated guess, if you ever want a second opinion.

Hammock
    11' 1.6 Hexon
    Tarp
    D.I.Y. 12' winter
    Insulation
    cool weather
    Suspension
    Poly. S.S. Beckett
    Images
    I think that bottom right is a Blind hem foot. Lots of utubes on it.

Images
    Perusing "vintage sewing machine attachments" on Ebay is a good way to learn more about them. Usually the seller doesn't give a lot of info but some listings are quite informative.

• + New Posts