Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings

Hang backpack on ridgeline?

Hey guys,
    Just wondering where you put your backpack at night and why you put it there? So far I've just put my backpack on some Tyvek sheeting underneath my hammock. I always use a winter tarp so it stays pretty dry underneath me. I know some people attach them to trees or hang them from their ridgeline maybe? Is there a reason why I shouldn't keep it on the ground? Mice? I've always been a little nervous hanging it from my ridgeline. I know it should be able to handle the weight; it's just that it seems so HUGE and cumbersome hanging on there. Any advice?

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair/WB XLC
    Tarp
    SLD Trail Haven
    Insulation
    HG, WB and WL
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I made my own but you can just buy it from Dutch...

https://dutchwaregear.com/product/big-carl-pack-hanger/
    -Jameson
    Proud Member of the North Country Trail Association-Hiawatha Shore to Shore Chapter
    http://www.northcountrytrail.org/

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Hanging from the ridgeline works great - especially if there are rodents and such around, or if it's raining cats and dogs. I sleep head right, feet left, so I clip the pack on the right side at the foot end. I never even know it's there.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird, DL 1.1
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I found this guy's https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Wrsoj5g38o and I like it but I just wondered about hanging my pack outside the tarp. I'd rather keep it dry.
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Flounder View Post
    I made my own but you can just buy it from Dutch...

https://dutchwaregear.com/product/big-carl-pack-hanger/

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird, DL 1.1
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    Hanging from the ridgeline works great - especially if there are rodents and such around, or if it's raining cats and dogs. I sleep head right, feet left, so I clip the pack on the right side at the foot end. I never even know it's there.
    Ok, I was wondering if it would get in the way. I don't know why I'm so hesitant to do it.

Do you guys hang it from your hammock ridgeline or the tarp ridgeline? Seems too heavy for the tarp, plus my tarp lines don't go under or over my tarp. They are attached to the ends. If you hang it from the hammock ridgeline how does that work with an attached bug net? I think I've avoided hanging it from my woopie slings (right next to the end of the hammock) because it's so close to my drip lines.

Again, is there any reason not to just put it on Tyvek under my hammock? If I don't have any food in my backpack, are rodents even going to bother it? Does it help keep out bugs to hang it from the hammock?

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair/WB XLC
    Tarp
    SLD Trail Haven
    Insulation
    HG, WB and WL
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I've left my pack on the tyvek under my hammock before but i prefer hanging it because of rodents. If it rains I'll put my pack cover on my pack as it's hanging on a tree.
    -Jameson
    Proud Member of the North Country Trail Association-Hiawatha Shore to Shore Chapter
    http://www.northcountrytrail.org/

Images
    Lately I have been clipping mine on to the head end on the suspension with a caribiner. Then it turns into a giant pocket I can toss all my stuff into at night.

If I do put it on the ground when it's raining hard, I lay it on the pack cover I brought with me anyway. No reason to take extra ground sheets.

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    WB SF and WL TP
    Insulation
    UGQ & HG
    Suspension
    multiple
    Images
    I normally just leave my pack on the ground underneath the hammock. That way it's within reach if I need to grab something from it while I'm in the hammock. There's only been one time that I hung it instead, and I think that was due to having a high number of chipmunks hanging around our campsite this past summer.
    Scarecrow on Instagram

"If somebody tells you there's a rule, break it. That's the only thing that moves things forward."
    -Hans Zimmer

I know I have a lot of mice. I do car camping and any thing with food gets explored by rodents. So cooler or car always stays shut. Tree works for bags though but when dry. Or you use a cover when wet but I feel the same that stuff gets when when left out. I do hang a day pack on the hammock lines, tree straps not the ridge line. But I find a large stick that is about the same height as the tree straps and prop up the tree strap, and hang the day pack there. Normally the tree straps can handle the extra weight but it makes the hammock sit funny or pop up when I get in and out of the hammock. And the stick supports most of the weight of the extra daypack. If you think of it the hammock tree straps keep the stick from falling over because of the weight of the daypack. And it can be under the tarp. I just hate putting my stuff down when it "could" become a puddle on the ground.

Dreaming of camping or aquaponics and the pond.

Hammock
    Amok,Clark NX270, ENO junglenest
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Wooki
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    If I'm really concerned, regular trash bag over pack than traditional bear hang method. I don't do this all the time, only when I see a lot of rodent signs.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast