WBBB. WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    HG Cuben w/ doors
    Insulation
    HG 20 UQ, HG 0 TQ
    Suspension
    Straps w/ buckles

standard or wide Chameleon?

I'm trying my best to give hammocks a try. I have the blackbird and just cannot solve the calf pressure issue. I think I will try the Dutchware Chameleon but dont know if the wide would be better for eliminating calf pressure? Any suggestions?
    Thanks

Hammock
    Dutch 11ft
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Huggers/Muletape
    More importantly than fabric width is proper setup of your hammock. Wider hammocks don’t eliminate calf ridge.

Check out this video

https://youtu.be/YgqbxZLV4RU

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have both a Blackbird and a wide Chameleon. I can't eliminate the calf ridge with the Blackbird (although I can deal with it), but I can in the Chameleon.

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    DIY silpoly 11x10
    Insulation
    DIY down TQ, WL UQ
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    I have a standard gathered end hexon, and a wide hexon. The wide still has calf ridge, but it’s much less. It doesn’t make sense, because wider really shouldn’t alleviate the stress. I suspect that I lay on a bigger angle in the wider though, and that stress point is adjusted by it, and is made less noticeable.

Hammock
    WBBB. WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    HG Cuben w/ doors
    Insulation
    HG 20 UQ, HG 0 TQ
    Suspension
    Straps w/ buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by DuctTapeMessiah View Post
    More importantly than fabric width is proper setup of your hammock. Wider hammocks don’t eliminate calf ridge.

Check out this video

https://youtu.be/YgqbxZLV4RU

I've made more adjustments than there are uses for duct tape and still can't get it comfortable.

Hammock
    Dutch 11ft
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Huggers/Muletape
    Quote Originally Posted by mountaindreamer View Post
    I've made more adjustments than there are uses for duct tape and still can't get it comfortable.
    Understood. I had the same woes with my WBBB. After some time I learned to appreciate it but a hammock with an integrated bug net isn’t as comfy as a standard hammock for me. I bought a WBRR for the summer months when weight isn’t an issue and I have a bottom entry “Fronkey” style bugnet for my standard gathered end hammock. Maybe that’s something to consider?

Hammock
    Hybrid 1.7 GE, Happy Medium Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Xenon Winter
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    All of them! Ugh.
    Images
    Isn't the BB a 10 footer? The Chameleon is 11ft. THAT's where you'll find the greatest difference regarding calf ridge. You didn't mention your height. As a very general rule of thumb, those 6' and over may prefer a bit more width.

I'm 5'4" and I made a chameleon clone at 61". It's perfect for me because it moved the zipper and inside d-rings away from my toes, which otherwise would get irritated with the standard width. My wife is about the same height as me and she has no such issues with her standard width chameleon. Go figure. I must lay in it at more of an angle than she does, I guess. I also wanted detachable end caps (via kam snaps) to make setup and takedown of the double dutch system far easier.

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Insulation
    HG TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Dutchware/Beetle
    I will second the motion about length of the hammock. There is a world of difference between a 10 and 11 footer. I have all sorts of issues in 10 footers that I don't have in an 11 Footer.

As far as the rest of your question goes I have been in both the regular and wide Cameleon's. I had slight calf ridge issues with the regular, that was taken care of with the wide. Which is what I bought.

For me personally calf ridge has been more of function of fabric types (this important for heavier guys like me). For example I have been in hammocks of the same fabrics and cut but different fabric weights. 1.9oz and up fabrics are too stiff for me and I have problems with them cause they don't stretch. On the flip side the 1, 1.1, and 1.2 weights are too stretchy and I have the same types of problems in them. I have settled on the 1.6 and 1.7oz fabrics because they hardly give any issues and are the most comfortable to me.

You will probably have to experiment around with this and the best way to do this is to get a few netless ones to experiment around in before buying a integrated one or to go to a hang and try out some rigs there. Also if you go to a hang the people who are there can look over your rigs and give you pointers on how to fix stuff.

I hope this helps.

Hammock
    WBBB. WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    HG Cuben w/ doors
    Insulation
    HG 20 UQ, HG 0 TQ
    Suspension
    Straps w/ buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by sqidmark View Post
    Isn't the BB a 10 footer? The Chameleon is 11ft. THAT's where you'll find the greatest difference regarding calf ridge. You didn't mention your height. As a very general rule of thumb, those 6' and over may prefer a bit more width.

I'm 5'4" and I made a chameleon clone at 61". It's perfect for me because it moved the zipper and inside d-rings away from my toes, which otherwise would get irritated with the standard width. My wife is about the same height as me and she has no such issues with her standard width chameleon. Go figure. I must lay in it at more of an angle than she does, I guess. I also wanted detachable end caps (via kam snaps) to make setup and takedown of the double dutch system far easier.
    I'm 6'. How long is the blackbird xl?

Hammock
    WBBB. WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    HG Cuben w/ doors
    Insulation
    HG 20 UQ, HG 0 TQ
    Suspension
    Straps w/ buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by Chiefstryker View Post
    I will second the motion about length of the hammock. There is a world of difference between a 10 and 11 footer. I have all sorts of issues in 10 footers that I don't have in an 11 Footer.

As far as the rest of your question goes I have been in both the regular and wide Cameleon's. I had slight calf ridge issues with the regular, that was taken care of with the wide. Which is what I bought.

For me personally calf ridge has been more of function of fabric types (this important for heavier guys like me). For example I have been in hammocks of the same fabrics and cut but different fabric weights. 1.9oz and up fabrics are too stiff for me and I have problems with them cause they don't stretch. On the flip side the 1, 1.1, and 1.2 weights are too stretchy and I have the same types of problems in them. I have settled on the 1.6 and 1.7oz fabrics because they hardly give any issues and are the most comfortable to me.

You will probably have to experiment around with this and the best way to do this is to get a few netless ones to experiment around in before buying a integrated one or to go to a hang and try out some rigs there. Also if you go to a hang the people who are there can look over your rigs and give you pointers on how to fix stuff.

I hope this helps.
    Thanks Chief.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast