Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Wookie
    Suspension
    buckles and straps
    Quote Originally Posted by Two Speed View Post
    Thanks to everyone who helped me working the demons out of my sewing machine the other day. I was able to finish up my winter tarp(first) and take a few pictures to share.

The tarp was made of Xenon wide from DutchWare and dimensions were 11'x10'. I learned(made many many mistakes) more than I wanted to about making a tarp but I am super happy to have gone through the experience. The tarp in its mesh bag with rigging weighed in at 24 oz. If any of you have any more detailed questions let me know.

Attachment 158948
    Attachment 158949
    Attachment 158950
    Attachment 158951
    Very nice! I'm envious of the skills

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk

Senior Member Tyroler Holzhacker's Avatar
    Hammock
    DH DL Sparrow/SL Darien
    Tarp
    MacCat/WBSuperfly
    Insulation
    LL/JRB/DIY down
    Suspension
    MSH/Whoopies/strps
    Images
    Nice setup. Is it about 14 oz or a tad more?

Hammock
    Half-Zipped
    Tarp
    DIY Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    Underquilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyroler Holzhacker View Post
    Nice setup. Is it about 14 oz or a tad more?
    It is right at 24 oz so a tad more. I have looked at some other winter tarps and my corners and ridge line are most likely over reinforced but I'd rather it be a little overdone until I figure out exactly where I need the extra material if I ever get crazier and decide to make another tarp.

Hammock
    Dutch Netless -n- Summer Sock
    Tarp
    Superfly / Noah 12
    Insulation
    Jarbridge, blubber
    Suspension
    Cinch -n- Whoopie
    Two Speed,

Can you share some of the mistakes? All machine related? With the Xenon being wide is this a one seam tarp - along the ridge-line?

There is a YouTube out there of a fellow using a MSR Twin Brothers Tarp as a hammock hot tent (yes, I know about smokehouse and others). The Twin Brothers reminds me of the old US Army Shelter Half pup tent but bigger. I have been thinking of trying my first DIY project using that as a design and Xenon wide. Most winter tarps have the ends tucked in, I would want mine tucked out and house the stove in the beak of the tarp - similar to this.

I would appreciate any tips you learned with your project.

Also, would really appreciate if you had a scrap or two if you hit it with a sparker and/or match and commented on if it was highly combustible or just combustible. Like does it pin hole burn or go up like a Wile E Coyote science project?

Hammock
    Half-Zipped
    Tarp
    DIY Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    Underquilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Quote Originally Posted by stryder View Post
    Two Speed,

Can you share some of the mistakes? All machine related? With the Xenon being wide is this a one seam tarp - along the ridge-line?

There is a YouTube out there of a fellow using a MSR Twin Brothers Tarp as a hammock hot tent (yes, I know about smokehouse and others). The Twin Brothers reminds me of the old US Army Shelter Half pup tent but bigger. I have been thinking of trying my first DIY project using that as a design and Xenon wide. Most winter tarps have the ends tucked in, I would want mine tucked out and house the stove in the beak of the tarp - similar to this.

I would appreciate any tips you learned with your project.

Also, would really appreciate if you had a scrap or two if you hit it with a sparker and/or match and commented on if it was highly combustible or just combustible. Like does it pin hole burn or go up like a Wile E Coyote science project?
    Mistakes

-Cutting one half of tarp too short right off the bat. I was a little confused at the intent of the cut and this one caused me to have a lot of material left over.
    -Sewing machine not set up correctly. Get all the info for your sewing machine and watch youtube videos and follow them exactly.
    This step is important, seam ripping a 12' hem is no fun. Neither is seam ripping a corner reinforcement after its fully sewn.
    -Using 1/2" grosgrain for the tieouts. While this worked out ok its tricky to get that tiny of a piece of grosgrain to stay in place on each side of the tarp. If I were to do it over id probably use 5/8".
    -trimming a little too close during assembly. I accidentally nicked the top of the trap when i was trimming a section so just be careful with cutting things around your tarp.

As for your second question I have A lot of material left over. I took a piece outside and used a magnesium fire starter and threw sparks all over the top of it. As expected where the tiny sparks landed it melted through the fabric but didn't really catch fire. Then I took a lighter and held it against the fabric it melted it but didn't really catch fire at all so id say its just combustible.

Hammock
    Dutch Netless -n- Summer Sock
    Tarp
    Superfly / Noah 12
    Insulation
    Jarbridge, blubber
    Suspension
    Cinch -n- Whoopie
    Quote Originally Posted by Two Speed View Post
    id say its just combustible.
    Thank you! Very much appreciate that.

so this is dutches winter tarp kit?
    i made the xenon asylum tarp kit he has and really want the winter version also

Hammock
    Half-Zipped
    Tarp
    DIY Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    Underquilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    well it was gonna be his kit but I had to piece it together on his website since you can chose the wide material. I followed the instructions for his kit except on the ridge line. For that I sewed both sides together then put a piece of grosgrain on top of that stitch and sewed either side of that followed but sealing the bottom. No rain test yet but it seems to be adequately reinforced at the ridge line.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12