Tarp
    HG Cuben w/ doors
    Insulation
    HG uq + Down Bag
    Suspension
    DIYwhoops+MuleTape
    Images

Twisted Root Underquilt?

I'm wondering if anyone has personal experience or opinions about this UQ.

I have a budget minded friend who asked me about them... When I looked them up I found a few dinosaur threads but wanted fresh thoughts.

My main questions are, does it have a secondary suspension or a way to cinch up the ends to keep draft out?

The pics I see aren't showing them.

All thoughts are very welcome. Thank you in advance!
    "It's not the man who's catching lots of fish and shooting lots of game who's having fun, it's the chap who's getting ready to do it."
    ~Horace Kephart

Hammock
    Go! Outfitters 11'
    Tarp
    YO Walkabout
    Insulation
    AHE New River
    Suspension
    Rallt strap, biner
    Images
    No secondary suspension but it's cut in such a way that the shape is kind of like a pita pocket so the fabric doesn't really need cinching at the ends to keep it close and keep out any drafts.

I grabbed a couple of them on a deal last summer and my wife and I used them pretty successfully on a few camping trips this past year. They replaced a couple of DIY's that I made from cheap sleeping bags that were more hassle to set up and adjust than they were worth.

They wouldn't work for very cold nights, we used them down to about 55 with no problems though on a week long backpacking trip.
    They aren't great for longer hammocks depending on how diagonal you lay as they shape restricts your angle a little.

For the price you can usually get them, the size they compress to, and the simplicity of using them (no tweaking necessary really, just put it up and you're all set) I think they are a great deal and I'm glad I got a couple.

Eventually I plan to get some good full length down UQ's for us but the Twisted Root ones are just fine for now and we will probably use them for at least another full camping season next year.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    Mamajamba
    Insulation
    HG Econ 20* & 40*
    Suspension
    Straps with buckle
    I have this UQ and it is what it is. I actually used it down to temps in the high 30s / low 40s, although it was not a comfortable night. I am a fairly warm sleeper, and would not recommend it for anything lower than 50*. This was my first UQ to go along with my first hammock (a 10’ Yukon Outfitter). I just upgraded to a WBBB XLC so I will be in the market for a new UQ to go with it, as I don’t think the Twisted Root will work well with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    WB RR, DIY Bridge (Dutch Kit)
    Tarp
    Kammok Glider
    Insulation
    DIY TQ, DIY BQ
    Suspension
    Whoopsie Slings
    I have a Yukon Outfitter's UQ and TQ. I believe the Twisted Root is almost identical. They were my first and for the price are a good bargain. They are good for summer and maybe early fall. The suspension is pretty basic but does an OK job of hanging. I'm currently using the TQ opened flat for my blanket at home and it's pretty nice but the velcro is annoying so I may rip that out and replace it with Kam Snaps.

If you want to get into hammocking and are dipping your toes in and don't want to spend a lot of money these are excellent.

Hammock
    Hennessy Expedition-Equip Mosquito-
    Tarp
    Hennessy and Yukon
    Insulation
    Snugpak Underblank
    Suspension
    Daisey chain
    I picked up an underquilt that is built the same way as the twisted Root. Got it for $28 and change. Like the Twisted Root and the Kindle from Yukon Outfitters it works in mildly cold weather but would not go for real cold times. They are now available for around $31 and change. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Outdoor-War...item3ad58c62fe

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Hennessy Hex
    Insulation
    PLUQ!
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    So...signifigantly better than a PLUQ ? or not ?

Hammock
    Dutch Halfwit
    Tarp
    HG Cuben w/ doors
    Insulation
    HG uq + Down Bag
    Suspension
    DIYwhoops+MuleTape
    Images
    Thanks for the replies! I don't see anything saying RUN AWAY. My buddy is using ccf pads and was thinking about supplementing with one of these.

Looks like it would help some, not a waste of money.
    Thanks again!
    "It's not the man who's catching lots of fish and shooting lots of game who's having fun, it's the chap who's getting ready to do it."
    ~Horace Kephart

• + New Posts