Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Hammock
    DIY 1.6 oz HyperD XL
    Insulation
    New River long
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    I kind of wonder if the new UHMWPE webbing will make tree huggers, whoopies, buckles, etc. obsolete. It's very light weight. All you need is a piece of UHMWPE webbing with a loop on one end around the tree, tie the other end on to your hammock continuous loop and you're good to go.

Hammock
    Dutch 11ft
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Huggers/Muletape
    Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    I am attracted to the idea of the soft shackle so I tried it with straps at the tree end of the suspension. Since I haven't learned how to make them yet and I was anxious to give them a shot, I got some from whoopieslings.com (They are beautifully made, BTW. )

Worked great but for winter they are difficult to disengage when it's 8°F in the morning, while wearing gloves. That, and the trees where I normally hike just aren't all that large in circumference and don't have branches down low, which means I can simply loop the strap back thru itself.

Although I've yet to try huggers, from all the reading I've done I think I will stick with straps for now.
    Anything that takes precision finger action is not great in freezing temperatures! That’s why TATO tarp connectors have more appeal to me in the Winter vs soft shackle prusicks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Winnie View Post
    I kind of wonder if the new UHMWPE webbing will make tree huggers, whoopies, buckles, etc. obsolete. It's very light weight. All you need is a piece of UHMWPE webbing with a loop on one end around the tree, tie the other end on to your hammock continuous loop and you're good to go.
    This can already be done with Kevlar straps, using Becket hitch or J-bend to attach to the CL.

Hammock
    DIY TCF Sage Green
    Tarp
    Noah's Tarp 12x12
    Insulation
    MAMW TQ, UGQ UQ
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Winnie View Post
    I don't think it will make the other stuff obsolete. Each individual still has preferences about how they do things. Hardware appeals to some and not others, etc. Even within a certain "realm", such as whoopies and straps for instance, there are still hundreds of different variations, and most tinker around with it until it's dialed in just the way THEY like it, which is usually a little different than what someone else does.

I love seeing the innovation with new equipment and new ways to use old equipment. Vive la difference!

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234