Tarp
    Free Soldier
    Insulation
    Still in testing
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images

Hummingbird Hammock

Came across this hammock at my brother-n-lasws Christmas party. Anyone seen this hammock suspension before?

Pretty light weight. Kinda like a whoopie sling but made from different materials...not sure what yet but will find out soon. Very, very interested in this setup!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk
    Gamut
    RLTW!!
    “Attitude is a little thing that makes a big difference.”
    — Winston Churchill

Hammock
    Ticket To The Moon
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Quilt
    Suspension
    Hammock Straps
    Found their website. They describe their suspension as being standard whoopie slings attached to tree straps, but then on the hammock they describe it as being their button link system. Seems they using the same system for their suspension extensions.

Hammock
    Hummingbird Single+
    Tarp
    Hummingbird Heron
    Insulation
    Gemini DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Hummingbird Strap+
    Quote Originally Posted by Gamut View Post
    Came across this hammock at my brother-n-lasws Christmas party. Anyone seen this hammock suspension before?

Pretty light weight. Kinda like a whoopie sling but made from different materials...not sure what yet but will find out soon. Very, very interested in this setup!!

I have their single+ hammocks and their tree straps+. The straps are made out of 1" milspec webbing, and the whoopie sling is made out of 1500 lb test Spectra cord. The webbing has 1100 lb break test. All the hammocks other than their rec hammock and constructed with PIA certified reserve parachute material. That material has a test rating of 50lbs per square inch. You can find videos on YouTube where they load up the hammock with big sacks of dirt to test it's breaking strength. The single plus is rated for 350 lbs. In the tests, the load it up with about 1100lbs. of dirt. At the breaking point the webbing broke in both tests, the Spectra cord and hammock were still intact.

On top of that, they pack down super small and super light.

I hope this helps some. If it also helps,on their website they link to GitHub where the have files in all their products, materials lists, and diagrams for construction.

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk

Hammock
    ENO Eagles Nest DoubleNest Hammock
    Tarp
    Free Soldier
    Insulation
    Still in testing
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ian.tompkins View Post
    I have their single+ hammocks and their tree straps+. The straps are made out of 1" milspec webbing, and the whoopie sling is made out of 1500 lb test Spectra cord. The webbing has 1100 lb break test. All the hammocks other than their rec hammock and constructed with PIA certified reserve parachute material. That material has a test rating of 50lbs per square inch. You can find videos on YouTube where they load up the hammock with big sacks of dirt to test it's breaking strength. The single plus is rated for 350 lbs. In the tests, the load it up with about 1100lbs. of dirt. At the breaking point the webbing broke in both tests, the Spectra cord and hammock were still intact.

On top of that, they pack down super small and super light.

I hope this helps some. If it also helps,on their website they link to GitHub where the have files in all their products, materials lists, and diagrams for construction.

Nice! Awesome info and thanks for sharing this! Looked up the specs on this and quite impressed. Deffinitally going to have to acquire this gear!

Gamut
    RLTW!!
    — Winston Churchill

Hammock
    Hummingbird Single+
    Tarp
    Hummingbird Heron
    Insulation
    Gemini DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Hummingbird Strap+
    Nice! Awesome info and thanks for sharing this! Looked up the specs on this and quite impressed. Deffinitally going to have to acquire this gear!

Yea, I like how simple their setup is. Less things to go wrong ad if something does break, then it is easy to repair or replace the one broken part instead of the whole thing. They seem to use this line of thought in the rest of their products. And on top of that, their products seems to be competitively priced, similar to ENO and such.

Hammock
    ENO Eagles Nest DoubleNest Hammock
    Tarp
    Free Soldier
    Insulation
    Still in testing
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ian.tompkins View Post
    Yea, I like how simple their setup is. Less things to go wrong ad if something does break, then it is easy to repair or replace the one broken part instead of the whole thing. They seem to use this line of thought in the rest of their products. And on top of that, their products seems to be competitively priced, similar to ENO and such.

Yes, its very simple and super light weight. Thats part of my favorite aspect of it.

Gamut
    RLTW!!
    — Winston Churchill

Hummingbird Hammock

Got the single + and suspension for Christmas. 9oz total. Hung it up but have not slept in it yet....don't have the quilts for the zero degree temps!

Hammock
    Half-Zipped
    Tarp
    DIY Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    Underquilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    I used this suspension set up and their single hammock for about 700 miles on the AT until I switched out for a bigger hammock. Now that I have a bigger netted hammock I switched out the continuous loops for the hummingbird button link suspension system above to use their tree strap combo without needing a dutch biner. This is the lightest suspension setup I have used and it works great for me.

Hammock
    Hummingbird Single+
    Tarp
    Hummingbird Heron
    Insulation
    Gemini DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Hummingbird Strap+
    Quote Originally Posted by paulb View Post
    Got the single + and suspension for Christmas. 9oz total. Hung it up but have not slept in it yet....don't have the quilts for the zero degree temps!
    I'm in the process of building one of the Gemini DIY UQ posted elsewhere in the forums. I like how thorough the details are and simple to follow.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Hammock
    ridgerunner
    Tarp
    superfly
    Suspension
    buckles
    Came here to look at the button link, but instead came across this picture. What an interesting way to hang a hammock to meet minimum hanging distance. Thanks for that!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast