DIY Hexon 1.0
    Tarp
    DIY Xenon Sil,
    Insulation
    3s Yeti
    Suspension
    straps & buckles
    Images
    I solved most of my tangle issues when using Mara 70 thread by using a metal bobbin instead of the plastic ones. Ladies at the local quilt shop said the metal bobbins, being heavier, don't bounce around as much as the plastic ones. I also use at least a 90/14 needle and sometimes a larger one. My preferred thread for all my projects is Gutterman Tera 80 and a 70/10 needle. It can be hard to find, but ripstopbytheroll does have it. But, definitely check out the tension discs for thread dust, dirt, etc.

Hammock
    DIY ROBIC 1.2 double layer
    Tarp
    Kelty's Noah 12
    Insulation
    DIY bottom quilt
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies
    I haven't read all the responses, so I don't know if this has been suggested, but it looks like you may be threading the machine with the presser foot down. The top thread tension discs close when the presser foot is down, and open when the foot is lifted. If you thread the machine with the foot down, the thread won't go between the tension discs, and you won't have proper tension on the top thread, which will cause loops in the bottom threads.
    Just your average kayak-paddlin', fish-stalkin', gun-totin', hammock-hangin' Critical Care Paramedic

Hammock
    Half-Zipped
    Tarp
    DIY Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    Underquilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Quote Originally Posted by Kayak_Medic View Post
    I haven't read all the responses, so I don't know if this has been suggested, but it looks like you may be threading the machine with the presser foot down. The top thread tension discs close when the presser foot is down, and open when the foot is lifted. If you thread the machine with the foot down, the thread won't go between the tension discs, and you won't have proper tension on the top thread, which will cause loops in the bottom threads.
    I was threading the bobbin wrong as others suggested this time but there have been a few other times when I may have been guilty of threading the upper thread wrong too. Thanks for your help.

Hammock
    Ol' ugly
    Tarp
    Hanger12/ DIYasym
    Insulation
    Bandit/Pheonix
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    I just got the same machine for my projects. Had to replace my old vintage Singer when it broke over the summer and I can't find anyone to fix it. The lady I bought it from said she never could get the tension right, but for $20 I couldn't pass it up. So when I get time I'll be testing some of these tricks out. Thanks everyone!
    Where the trail ends the adventure begins!

Quote Originally Posted by Kayak_Medic View Post
    The top thread tension discs close when the presser foot is down, and open when the foot is lifted. If you thread the machine with the foot down, the thread won't go between the tension discs, and you won't have proper tension on the top thread, which will cause loops in the bottom threads.
    Thanks! I didn’t know this but it explains why sometimes it goes in easily and sometimes it doesn’t.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Kelty's Noah 12
    Insulation
    DIY bottom quilt
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by DrPhun View Post
    Thanks! I didn’t know this but it explains why sometimes it goes in easily and sometimes it doesn’t.
    Yep, and many times you won't even realize the thread isn't in the tension discs since they're mostly hidden from view, generally within the first slot in the front before the thread goes back up to the take up arm. The only clue you'll have that the thread isn't between the tension discs is looping of the bottom thread while sewing. Easy test is if you don't feel any change in resistance when pulling the tail of the top thread with the foot down versus the foot up, you are most likely not threaded right. That, or your top thread tension is set to zero.
    Just your average kayak-paddlin', fish-stalkin', gun-totin', hammock-hangin' Critical Care Paramedic

Hammock
    11" 1.1 ripstop
    Tarp
    1.1 DIY 10X10
    Insulation
    HG 20* TQ, UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    This doesn’t look like a tension problem to me it looks like missed stitches. Tension usually will be every stitch not sporadic like this. I had this happen to me a couple of times but right not i can not remember exactly what I did to correct it. When sewing if you watch and listen you can see and hear when it happens, just a little glitch.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Kelty's Noah 12
    Insulation
    DIY bottom quilt
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by Charliev View Post
    This doesn’t look like a tension problem to me it looks like missed stitches. Tension usually will be every stitch not sporadic like this. I had this happen to me a couple of times but right not i can not remember exactly what I did to correct it. When sewing if you watch and listen you can see and hear when it happens, just a little glitch.
    I will get missed stitches occasionally when my needle gets dull, but they don't look anything like this. They simply look like the machine took a long step between stitches. I've even had my machine miss 4 or 5 in a row, and it just looks like the needle jumped a half inch before stitching the next one.

Senior Member Tyroler Holzhacker's Avatar
    Hammock
    DH DL Sparrow/SL Darien
    Tarp
    MacCat/WBSuperfly
    Insulation
    LL/JRB/DIY down
    Suspension
    MSH/Whoopies/strps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gargoyle View Post
    Your bobbin needs to be wound properly. Maybe rewind a new one, if this bobbin looks loosely wound.
    A sloppy bobbin will not perform well.

Your bobbin is adjustable for tension. Make sure your bobbin is installed and laced properly for YOUR machine.

Bottom snarls are from loose tension or poor lacing in the bobbin assembly, normally. The top and bottom threads tension each other to give a smooth stitch pattern. So, if the last project was using thick thread, you may need to adjust (tighten in small increments) the tension. Once the bottom tension is good you can play with the top tension.
    Always check that the top and bottom are threaded per your instruction manual. Make sure the top tension discs are clean and free of any lint/fuzz.
    Always clean and examine the bobbin and the bobbin compartment for loose and stray threads and bits of fuzz.

Grab some scrap fabric till you get things dialed in. Practice and adjust.

What machine are you using?
    Sloppy Bobbin

That'd be a funny trail name.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123