Half-Zipped
    Tarp
    DIY Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    Underquilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie

Sewing Machine Set Up for Xenon Sil Poly or similar

I am currently working on a winter tarp. I am using a singer simple sewing machine with the 90/14 needle and Guttermann Mara 70 Tex 40 Thread. I cant seem to stop forming loops on the underside of my fabric. I have tried raising and lower the thread tension and even changing out needles for bigger and smaller ones. I have attached a picture of the underside of one of the corner tie outs I will probably redo once I solve this issue.

Any advice or can anyone share what kind of setups they have used successfully?

HGloop.jpg

Thanks for any help!

Hammock
    Ticket To The Moon
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Quilt
    Suspension
    Hammock Straps
    Double check your threading and make sure that it's going through everything correctly. Try sewing on a different fabric to see if it's just the difference in fabric that is the problem or if the same thing happens with other fabrics. Try adjusting the pressure foot pressure. Make sure your presser foot is down.

Hammock
    Half-Zipped
    Tarp
    DIY Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    Underquilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Quote Originally Posted by LadyFaile View Post
    Double check your threading and make sure that it's going through everything correctly. Try sewing on a different fabric to see if it's just the difference in fabric that is the problem or if the same thing happens with other fabrics. Try adjusting the pressure foot pressure. Make sure your presser foot is down.
    I have checked threading several several times. Similar issues happen on different fabrics. Not sure how to adjust pressure foot pressure and the lever on mine is either up or down no in between.

Hammock
    Ticket To The Moon
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Quilt
    Suspension
    Hammock Straps
    Look for a nob something like this...

https://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl...bnClMQ9QEILTAA

That happened to me when I didn’t have it threaded correctly. I was behind the top tension adjustment (which for me is a knob with disks behind it) rather than in it. I was behind the disks rather between them.

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    Your bobbin needs to be wound properly. Maybe rewind a new one, if this bobbin looks loosely wound.
    A sloppy bobbin will not perform well.

Your bobbin is adjustable for tension. Make sure your bobbin is installed and laced properly for YOUR machine.

Bottom snarls are from loose tension or poor lacing in the bobbin assembly, normally. The top and bottom threads tension each other to give a smooth stitch pattern. So, if the last project was using thick thread, you may need to adjust (tighten in small increments) the tension. Once the bottom tension is good you can play with the top tension.
    Always check that the top and bottom are threaded per your instruction manual. Make sure the top tension discs are clean and free of any lint/fuzz.
    Always clean and examine the bobbin and the bobbin compartment for loose and stray threads and bits of fuzz.

Grab some scrap fabric till you get things dialed in. Practice and adjust.

What machine are you using?
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

Hammock
    DIY TCF Sage Green
    Tarp
    Noah's Tarp 12x12
    Insulation
    MAMW TQ, UGQ UQ
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopies
    Images
    When I start sewing, I sort of press down on the top and bottom threads on the back of the machine to keep them tight so loops don't form for the first few stitches. I saw someone do it on YT.

It's also possible that your thread tension needs to be adjusted. I don't know how but I bet you can find that out on YT too.

Good luck, that's a big project!

Hammock
    Half-Zipped
    Tarp
    DIY Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    Underquilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Quote Originally Posted by gargoyle View Post
    Your bobbin needs to be wound properly. Maybe rewind a new one, if this bobbin looks loosely wound.
    A sloppy bobbin will not perform well.

Your bobbin is adjustable for tension. Make sure your bobbin is installed and laced properly for YOUR machine.

Bottom snarls are from loose tension or poor lacing in the bobbin assembly, normally. The top and bottom threads tension each other to give a smooth stitch pattern. So, if the last project was using thick thread, you may need to adjust (tighten in small increments) the tension. Once the bottom tension is good you can play with the top tension.

Always check that the top and bottom are threaded per your instruction manual. Make sure the top tension discs are clean and free of any lint/fuzz.
    Always clean and examine the bobbin and the bobbin compartment for loose and stray threads and bits of fuzz.

Grab some scrap fabric till you get things dialed in. Practice and adjust.

What machine are you using?
    Singer Simple 3337

I rewound the bobbin and installed in per instructions and got same results. From reading the info in the manual the only tension that is adjustable is the upper thread. I am not sure how the bobbin is adjustable for tension on my machine?

I have checked the upper and lower thread at least 10 times and used several scrap fabrics and even went to the extent of using different color threads to see if that would tell me anything which it didn't.

I will try rewinding a brand new bobbin and setting the machine back up from scratch per the manual. Thanks for your help.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY Bridge
    Insulation
    DIY Down
    Had the same issue when I was making my tarp, worked fine on the silpoly part, I swapped out to do the snake skins and nothing but loops on the mesh ..... turns out it was the tension, I couldn't believe it, but after I adjusted the tension it was fine.

Also same issues when I changed from Mara 70 to an outdoor type, which was thicker ... tension was the issue again ... any time you change thread thickness or material thickness you have to consider the tension.

I also had similar issues from from thinking I had the machine threaded correctly, but after taking the thread out and starting from scratch, I realized I had threaded incorrectly .... get a Youtube video and follow it exactly. I have a Singer also, there are good video demonstrations available.

Brian

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Two Speed View Post
    I have checked threading several several times. Similar issues happen on different fabrics. Not sure how to adjust pressure foot pressure and the lever on mine is either up or down no in between.
    There is adjustment. Read the manual. If you don't have a manual, look on-line. The web has many PDF manuals. Find the manual for YOUR specific make and model.

Your stitch length looks very inconsistent. So either the foot is not pressing down hard enough to traction the fabric to the dogs (the toothy looking things under the foot)
    OR your dogs (Technical term is feed dogs) are not engaged or dirty with fluff and need to be cleaned.
    The dogs ride up and down to move the fabric evenly as the needle travels up and down
    Don't fight the fabric. It should pull thru smoothly as the machine cycles. You are just guiding the front and back. Never pull or allow the fabric to create excess tension on the feed side.
    Check for a knob that engages and disengages the dogs.

If all else fails, you may need to take the machine in for a tune-up?

Practice on scraps till you get the stitches looking good.
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast