Hammock
    Chameleon, Wide
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah 12
    Insulation
    Sniveler + Phoenix
    Suspension
    Beetle + Tensa 4
    Thank you, RaftingTigger, for giving a good baseline to start from. (pardon the pun).

I've thought about how to set up in soft sand before, and these steps might be beneficial:[LIST]

- Dig down by hand about a foot
    - Use the tube to drive in the screw, but leave it in place
    - Attach guy line
    - Bury both tube and screw with ~1 foot of sand

The extra sand over the surface area of the tube might help.

Hammock
    Chameleon, Wide
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah 12
    Insulation
    Sniveler + Phoenix
    Suspension
    Beetle + Tensa 4
    Very nice tarp. I'll wait patiently... almost.

Quote Originally Posted by JasumX View Post
    Took my newly acquired Tensa4 out along with my newly acquired WB XLC on a test run this weekend at a friend's cabin. Learned a few things, but I ended up having some issues that I'm hoping you kind people might be able to help me address.

First, the ground at this cabin is a whole lot of sugar sand... I knew this was a potential issue going into it, but went ahead and tried anyways. Though the orange screws hold incredibly firm in dirt at home, in this looser sand they just couldn't quite handle my weight and the foot end came loose. I wound up tethering to a tree instead which worked fine of course, but limits my flexibility of hanging locations. Does anyone know of a stake/screw that might work better and still handle enough weight (half of my 250#)?
    Instead of using the orange screw in the sugary sand, how about trying a deadman anchor? Take a piece of lumber or a stout stick 3 or 4 feet long and girth hitch a sling to the center of it and then dig down into the sand as deep as you can and bury the stick parallel to the ground surface with the sling sticking up out of the sand. Then test the anchor by pulling up on it and if it's good, tether the Tensa 4 to it. I think you'll be surprised how much a deadman anchor can hold.

Another type of anchor that could work well buried in sand is a "parachute" anchor. I have some heavy duty ones made out of webbing and pack cloth that I've used for a mountaineering tent in deep snow. Should work just as well if not better in soft sand.

As a last resort get three or four collapsible water containers and fill them on site and tether to them in a group. You've got plenty of options if the orange screws don't hold and there are no nearby tree.

Hammock
    WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    RSBTR Winter Hex12
    Insulation
    DIY Wookie style
    Suspension
    Tensa4, Trekking
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by snowtrac View Post
    Instead of using the orange screw in the sugary sand, how about trying a deadman anchor? Take a piece of lumber or a stout stick 3 or 4 feet long and girth hitch a sling to the center of it and then dig down into the sand as deep as you can and bury the stick parallel to the ground surface with the sling sticking up out of the sand. Then test the anchor by pulling up on it and if it's good, tether the Tensa 4 to it. I think you'll be surprised how much a deadman anchor can hold.

Another type of anchor that could work well buried in sand is a "parachute" anchor. I have some heavy duty ones made out of webbing and pack cloth that I've used for a mountaineering tent in deep snow. Should work just as well if not better in soft sand.

As a last resort get three or four collapsible water containers and fill them on site and tether to them in a group. You've got plenty of options if the orange screws don't hold and there are no nearby tree.
    All very good suggestions. FWIW, I have yet to find a spot that I could not make anchors, Orange screw or otherwise, work if you get creative enough. And that is for the single pole high load on the anchor usage. I even was able to make it work on a granite slab.
    Come check out the Tensa4 tensahedron stand and other hammock stands at http://www.TensaOutdoor.com and [email protected]

Thank you all very much for the suggestions! They gave me some great ideas to try and and get creative this weekend. I'm looking forward to testing them out

Hammock
    WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    RSBTR Winter Hex12
    Insulation
    DIY Wookie style
    Suspension
    Tensa4, Trekking
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by JasumX View Post
    Thank you all very much for the suggestions! They gave me some great ideas to try and and get creative this weekend. I'm looking forward to testing them out
    Please share what works and doesn't for you. It helps the whole community.
    Come check out the Tensa4 tensahedron stand and other hammock stands at http://www.TensaOutdoor.com and [email protected]

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Econ 0°
    Suspension
    Straps
    What is the Amsteel diameter on the toggle pole connectors and what is the weight rating on them? I understand static versus dynamic forces in general.

I ask because the new mod has you hanging a carabiner off a single loop. And often single Loop I will be hanging my hammock not just a tarp. So I wanted to confirm the strength.

Thanks

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Hammock
    banana-shaped
    Tarp
    greenish
    Insulation
    yes
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Quote Originally Posted by Hangdang View Post
    What is the Amsteel diameter on the toggle pole connectors and what is the weight rating on them? I understand static versus dynamic forces in general.

I ask because the new mod has you hanging a carabiner off a single loop. And often single Loop I will be hanging my hammock not just a tarp. So I wanted to confirm the strength.
    They’re 7/64” Amsteel, which has an average break strength of 1600lbs. This is derated by a knot and being tensioned over small-radius bends like many other Amsteel hammock suspensions. We rate the stand to 400lbs, with the poles expected to fail long before the lines including connectors. With a 30° hang angle, the tension on the suspension being transferred to the connectors equals the user weight. We do advise users to inspect the lines each setup for wear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    --
    Tensa Outdoor, LLC, maker of the Tensa4, Tensa Solo, and Tensa Trekking Treez hammock stands: http://tensaoutdoor.com/

Hammock
    Big Guy Bridge
    Tarp
    CRO Winter Haven
    Insulation
    JRB UQ, HG TQ
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckle 15'
    My friend and I just got back from kayak camping on Peddocks Island in the Boston Harbor Islands National Park. The camping area has yurts that can be rented and there are power poles outside the yurts. This was perfect for my friend as she requires a CPAP at night. Of course, there are no suitable trees to hang from near the power. My Tensa 4 stand saved the trip. I set her up in one of my hammocks on the stand, she plugged in the CPAP to the power pole and we spent the weekend on the island in comfort. Having a stand that's small enough to take with me in a kayak is amazing. We used the tarp extensions, too.
    "God never sends us anything we can't handle. Sometimes I wish He didn't trust me so much." - Mother Teresa.

Hammock
    WalhallaCustom11'
    Tarp
    Walhalla Winter
    Insulation
    LL0°,CRO20°
    Suspension
    CL's/Buckles/Etc
    Quote Originally Posted by wbJohn View Post
    My friend and I just got back from kayak camping on Peddocks Island in the Boston Harbor Islands National Park. The camping area has yurts that can be rented and there are power poles outside the yurts. This was perfect for my friend as she requires a CPAP at night. Of course, there are no suitable trees to hang from near the power. My Tensa 4 stand saved the trip. I set her up in one of my hammocks on the stand, she plugged in the CPAP to the power pole and we spent the weekend on the island in comfort. Having a stand that's small enough to take with me in a kayak is amazing. We used the tarp extensions, too.
    Looking forward to some kayak adventures here in Maine as well!!

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
    www.wildcherrywoodworks.com (my business)
    www.mainechopstick.com (my other business)
    www.4alloutdoors.org (a friend's site I do reviews for)
    www.curlymaplechronicles.blogspot.com (my personal blog)

• + New Posts
  • Page 124 of 182 FirstFirst ... 2474114122123124125126134174 ... LastLast