banana-shaped
    Tarp
    greenish
    Insulation
    yes
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Quote Originally Posted by JmBoh View Post
    What made you choose that price point? $300 as an intro offer? Tato is $325. Yours has less metal and a simpler design. Seems it should be less expensive. You might be shooting yourself in the foot with that price tbh.
    It's materials and (cottage) labor marked up by less than most formulas for this kind of thing, with our best informed guess (beta testers) of value in use relative to alternatives. Not a question of quantity of metal any more than clothing prices determined by miles of thread. Intro offer because the product, our costs, and our productive capacity relative to demand may change significantly over time, resulting in price changes up or down.

DIY versions can be very cheap. Design simplicity adds rather than subtracts from value in my opinion. It's mainly the portability (packed size and weight) that adds cost (and value) over DIY-realistic builds.
    Last edited by Latherdome; 03-10-2018 at 09:38.

Hammock
    Chameleon and a Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    UGQ WD 12'
    Insulation
    downy goodness
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Images
    Did any of your testers use this primarily indoors? I'm looking for a stand to replace my bed. I'm thinking I could buy one of those plastic floor protectors used under office chairs to put it on so I don't ruin the carpet/floor. I like the idea of being able to fold this one at the fulcrum points and put it in the corner with my hammock attached to open up all the space in my bedroom. A TD stand would be a big intrusive frame in my room. I prefer your design by far.
    “I am losing precious days. I am degenerating into a machine for making money. I am learning nothing in this trivial world of men. I must break away and get out into the mountains to learn the news”
    ― John Muir

Hammock
    banana-shaped
    Tarp
    greenish
    Insulation
    yes
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Quote Originally Posted by JmBoh View Post
    Did any of your testers use this primarily indoors? I'm looking for a stand to replace my bed.
    Yes. I've had no bed for 5 years: all hammock all the time. I have slept in this stand (and prototypes thereof) most nights indoors since October when the first successful iteration came together. I started working on an ultra-portable stand not requiring ground anchoring in January 2017, for when I travel staying indoors or bikepack through tree-sparse places.

No need for floor protectors: the poles have rubber feet both ends.

Most of my attempts were instant failures. I kept at it out of shame at having sunk so much money into carbon fiber poles that didn't work the way I hoped, not wanting to have to buy even more to make The World's Most Expensive Turtledog Stand, or just cut my losses and pack them away. The first working carbon fiber prototype was under 4lbs. Then I destroyed it in a stupid transport incident. Then I knew I had to make it in aluminum: tougher, cheaper, heavier but light enough. Raftingtigger has a lot of good ideas and energy and already makes and sells a different, complementary design, so we threw in together to do it.
    Last edited by Latherdome; 03-10-2018 at 09:06.

Hammock
    Hexon 1.6W 11'
    Tarp
    Hennessy hex
    Insulation
    Snugpack UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by Latherdome View Post
    Exact setup dimensions vary, by design. Depends on length of hammock, desired seat height, required head and foot clearance for users of different heights. It's unusual to exceed 11' at the apexes. Width is likely to fall between 5 and 6 feet (the base). Apex height averages about 5.5', one end higher than other.
    Thanks that helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Have you tried this stand in the wind with a tarp?

Hammock
    My own design
    Tarp
    Made myself
    Insulation
    The one I made
    Suspension
    Yup, made ‘em
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by raftingtigger View Post
    Tensa4 pre-orders: Important: We cannot take pre-orders on this thread nor through private messaging. The only way to pre-order is via [email protected] and payment via PayPal to [email protected]

The Tensa4 is an innovative, lightweight, compact, indoor-outdoor full size hammock stand with a capacity of 400 pounds. Packed size is approx 20” x 4” x 4” and weighs 11 pounds. The stand comes with poles, one anchor, one guyline, one ridgeline, one baseline, 4 connector lines/toggles, and a storage bag. It will accommodate any gathered end hammock on the market. We have used it with several different tarps without modifications or accessories.

It is currently constructed of aircraft grade aluminum tubing in a telescoping design. Construction is performed in a small home shop and therefore quantities are limited. The stand has completed a Beta testing program with a variety of different hammockers (small to large, light to heavy) without significant problems, and has been improved from the original design as a result. We are still sourcing small items (bags, toggles, etc) and these may change as we get better sourcing.

Introductory price is $300 shipped in the USA. Extra shipping if outside of the USA. We are asking a conditionally-refundable $10 payable via PayPal to [email protected] to hold your place in line. Once in line, we will give you an estimated delivery date. You will have 7 days to decline that date and receive a full refund of your deposit. If we are unable to meet the estimated delivery date we will give you a new one, with the same 7 day right of refusal. If there is any substantial change in the stand and/or the price you will again have the 7 day right of refusal.

When we are ready to ship we will ask for the remaining payment ($290), you will have 7 days to send it to us via PayPal or we will go to the next in line. We expect to ship the first batch on or before April 15, 2018.Attachment 161679Attachment 161680Attachment 161681Attachment 161681Attachment 161682
    Do the legs really telescope?
    I sew things on youtube.
    I don’t sew on commission, so please don’t ask. Thanks.

Hammock
    My own design
    Tarp
    Made myself
    Insulation
    The one I made
    Suspension
    Yup, made ‘em
    Images
    There are no color options at present. The stands are in a natural aluminum brushed/waxed finish. Amsteel cordage is orange and black. Anodizing is the only durable functional finish that would allow colors, but the cost of anodizing 28-segment tube assemblies is prohibitive. We are working on sourcing that may change this in future.

Open question: would you pay more for a silver anodized finish than raw/brushed? For black? For jewel colors? If so, how much? All possible but not cheap!
    Aluminum is my favorite color and I think it is perfect without any other colors added.
    I sew things on youtube.
    I don’t sew on commission, so please don’t ask. Thanks.

Hammock
    DH Sparrow
    Tarp
    13' Winter Haven
    Insulation
    quilts
    Suspension
    Tensa4
    Open question: would you pay more for a silver anodized finish than raw/brushed? For black? For jewel colors? If so, how much? All possible but not cheap!
    I'm open to paying ~$500 for an anodized stand. To some it might seem like a lot, but after buying a new camping gear transporter:
    Africa02.jpg
    It really doesn't seem like all that much money to me. I'm looking at panniers & mounting rack for US$1100 + shipping and that isn't even the dearest accessory I'm contemplating.

Hammock
    DH Sparrow
    Tarp
    13' Winter Haven
    Insulation
    quilts
    Suspension
    Tensa4
    Quote Originally Posted by Basecamp View Post
    Have you tried this stand in the wind with a tarp?
    Yes. I've also strung a hammock & tarp between two trees in the wind, there was not really any difference between the two experiences.
    The Tensahedron stand has worked fine with my 12' tarp in wind and in rain as well as in fine weather.

Hammock
    WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    RSBTR Winter Hex12
    Insulation
    DIY Wookie style
    Suspension
    Tensa4, Trekking
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jellyfish View Post
    Do the legs really telescope?
    Yes, Here are pictures of the actual product we are shipping as part of this introductory run.

20180313_091103[1].jpg
    Come check out the Tensa4 tensahedron stand and other hammock stands at http://www.TensaOutdoor.com and [email protected]

• + New Posts
  • Page 6 of 182 FirstFirst ... 456781656106 ... LastLast