I just returned from a river trip using the Tensa 4 for two nights on sandbars. I had some issues with sand getting in and locking up the joints of the poles. I wrote that up just now in a post called 'Tensa 4 and sand.'

In terms of cleanup afterwards, I would recommend more than just a water rinse. I found it difficult to remove all the fine sand particles with only the jet stream from a garden hose. I used a long handled bottle brush to dislodge find sand that was adhered by water tension to the inside of the tubes. I also had some soapy water handy to dip the bottle brush in. I don't really know if that made a difference, but the point was to weaken the water tension that enables the sand to stick to the pole's surface. With those steps, a stream of water from the hose was able to wash the sand away pretty cleanly.

If your question about treating the poles was still in relationship to sand, I would say, no, trying to lubricate the poles doesn't make sense to me. In the 'Tensa 4 and sand' post I referred to, I mention that I may wrap the joints with painters' tape the next time I camp with the Tensa 4 on sand to prevent sand from getting in.

You also asked about stakes. I used 12' orange screws on the sandbars. They worked fine; I had no concerns about the strength of the hold. (Of course, I only weigh 150 lbs.) The sand I was on was pretty firm a couple inches below the surface and a little moist, definitely not wet.

Quote Originally Posted by cougarmeat View Post
A pole maintenance and stake holding questions .... I’ll be using the poles around sandy and sometimes gritty areas. Is there a preferred way of cleaning - or just rinse with clean water. I’m wondering if treating the poles with anythings - because of metal-on-metal friction, would make things operate smoothly WITHOUT coating your hands with gunk. Is rust protection and issue?
With three choices of stakes - the 9” and 12” orange screws and the longer boomstakes, what is your experience/successes with each type in different types of soil; like boomstakes for grass, orange screws for sand? That type of thing.