banana-shaped
    Tarp
    greenish
    Insulation
    yes
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Quote Originally Posted by altSalt View Post
    Luckily, one can carry a bit more on a bike and it's usually easier to ride a bit further to find a better tree span, but there are definitely some places with nary a shrub. One of the things that really caught my eye about the tensahedron was the XX rigging, removing the strict need for anchoring. This opens up a world of possibilities, including being able to reuse the same stand for hotel-travel.
    I am in a hotel right now in Costa Rica with my normal Tensa4. I’ve never not been able to find an anchor point indoors or out, though sometimes I’ve had to sleep in a common area as my personal area wouldn’t accommodate any hammock i’d want to sleep in, stand or not. In this case, i tied a knot in the end of the foot guyline, and pinched it shut in a sliding glass door, then latched the door. Under tension the knot pulls up to the latch point and won’t budge. (Not in the manual. Gotta be creative. Always fun.) Only inconvenience is the patio is basically closed while I sleep. So in the morning i just fold it into a corner, sorta like a Murphy bed.

Some caveats about the XX/freestand configuration: with the same length poles as Tensa4 the max hammock size and/or seat height goes down considerably, as does the weight limit. If you make the poles longer without increasing diameter, the weight limit drops dramatically. If you bump the diameter then the whole stand packs larger and weighs more. Unless you use much more expensive materials. Finally free-standers are more complex/limited setting up on uneven ground. Questionable compromises all around. All so you don’t have to anchor? Remember the least wind will blow over any lightweight stand lacking anchoring: hammock makes a great spinnaker.

Do you think fittings that taper and couple together like a windsurf mast, rather than telescoping, would provide enough additional strength to reduce the overall length to something that is more manageable?
    Using same materials and tolerances, double-ended telescoping is the most material efficient design for a given strength. It puts the most material in the middle where the buckling forces are highest. Tent-pole style leaves you with ends that are heavier than necessary when the middle is barely strong enough.

Aside from the poles themselves (and I understand if this line of questioning may be more appropriate for a thread of its own) do you have features that are must-includes for a diy version?
    I’d buy (or copy) Tensa pole connectors and our webbing line set, then provide your own poles to work with them. I think we’ve got the best connector design down cold, and not too expensive either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    --
    Tensa Outdoor, LLC, maker of the Tensa4, Tensa Solo, and Tensa Trekking Treez hammock stands: http://tensaoutdoor.com/

Hammock
    MTHL 11' w/wo net
    Tarp
    DIY Silnylon Rect
    Insulation
    DIY Costco Quilt
    Suspension
    MTHL 2in dyneema
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Latherdome View Post
    I am in a hotel right now in Costa Rica with my normal Tensa4.
    So awesome, don't I wish I could be there as well right now!

Some caveats about the XX/freestand configuration: with the same length poles as Tensa4 the max hammock size and/or seat height goes down considerably, as does the weight limit. If you make the poles longer without increasing diameter, the weight limit drops dramatically. If you bump the diameter then the whole stand packs larger and weighs more. Unless you use much more expensive materials. Finally free-standers are more complex/limited setting up on uneven ground. Questionable compromises all around. All so you don’t have to anchor? Remember the least wind will blow over any lightweight stand lacking anchoring: hammock makes a great spinnaker.
    All very good points. About how much do you think the weight limit drops? I'm definitely reading over the forum considering whether an 11' or 12' hammock purchase/build is in my near future.

Using same materials and tolerances, double-ended telescoping is the most material efficient design for a given strength. It puts the most material in the middle where the buckling forces are highest. Tent-pole style leaves you with ends that are heavier than necessary when the middle is barely strong enough.
    What percentage of pole remains in each collapsed bit? With split masts, if there is a sliver lifted out, the thin wall is prone to cracking, but when fully butted it becomes incredibly strong, specifically in terms of shear. It seems that having a middle thicker segment, with two collapsible ends that plug in, making five total segments, would provide a good balance of packability and strength.

I’d buy (or copy) Tensa pole connectors and our webbing line set, then provide your own poles to work with them. I think we’ve got the best connector design down cold, and not too expensive either.
    I agree. Will definitely do some thinking, but the Tensa4 is so very tempting...

Images
    Speaking of anchors: what configurations generate the least force on the anchor?
    1: longest possible strap out to an orange screw/boom stake or other ground anchor? Further is better?(better being less force generated on the anchor)
    2: a shorter strap going straight down to a boom stake and/or weights right under the stand's apex?
    3: a strap going almost straight( horizontal) out from the apex to an anchor 4 or 5 or 6 ft height, such as the top hinge on a door or a tree that might be a bit too weak for normal hanging?

A related question: if making a boom stake, which generates the least force on the in the ground stake, increasing odds of it staying put: a long above ground part, i.e. a long(er) boom, the horizontal tube part, with the strap wrapped around the boom near the opposite end from the stake? Or, a shorter boom. like the one it comes with? I figure the longer lever might make a difference in force, but which would result in better hold for the stake: short or longer? Or no difference?

Hammock
    MTHL 11' w/wo net
    Tarp
    DIY Silnylon Rect
    Insulation
    DIY Costco Quilt
    Suspension
    MTHL 2in dyneema
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by LowTech View Post
    I bikepack and have a Solo that fits nice along the side of my top tube.
    Any chance you have a picture of this? I can't quite visualize it, but do see a few photos of a guyed out bike on the Tensa Solo page.

Quote Originally Posted by LowTech View Post
    [...] I'm sure I could use my bike for one end if needed but carrying two Solos along the top tube would be pretty easy and not that much of a weight gain in my opinion.
    The specs say that a Tensa Solo is about 3 lbs, I wouldn't want to double that for a long trip if it could be helped.

Hammock
    one wind 11' wide
    Tarp
    one wind 12'
    Insulation
    SLD, UGQ, LL, JRB
    Suspension
    UCR
    Quote Originally Posted by altSalt View Post
    Any chance you have a picture of this? I can't quite visualize it . . .
    Was traveling when you asked this so just now seeing it after going back through things.
    I'll take one today.

Hammock
    one wind 11' wide
    Tarp
    one wind 12'
    Insulation
    SLD, UGQ, LL, JRB
    Suspension
    UCR
    So, Tensa Solo along the side of my top tube on the bike.
    It fits pretty nice in the little space where the frame bag meets up w/ the top tube. I just left it in its bag and threw a couple fast straps on it for the photo. 10 secs on or off.

Hammock
    MTHL 11' w/wo net
    Tarp
    DIY Silnylon Rect
    Insulation
    DIY Costco Quilt
    Suspension
    MTHL 2in dyneema
    Images
    Looks great, thanks! You haven't found that the Voile straps interfered with your braking or was that just for the picture?

Hammock
    one wind 11' wide
    Tarp
    one wind 12'
    Insulation
    SLD, UGQ, LL, JRB
    Suspension
    UCR
    Quote Originally Posted by Salt View Post
    Looks great, thanks! You haven't found that the Voile straps interfered with your braking or was that just for the picture?
    It definitely would. I don't even use that strap but I've shuffled gear around quite a bit lately and I'm not sure where the preferred straps are and I don't run them over the cables. Even the frame bag has the main part of those straps under the cables.

Hammock
    MTHL 11' w/wo net
    Tarp
    DIY Silnylon Rect
    Insulation
    DIY Costco Quilt
    Suspension
    MTHL 2in dyneema
    Images
    Gotcha, thought I was missing something for a moment. Definitely a nice mounting place. Considering whether that and a long pump would strap more easily to the downtube to stay out of the way. Definitely need to keep considering the non-DIY route.

Hammock
    Dutch Netless 11'
    Tarp
    Noah's Tarp 12
    Insulation
    UGQ Zeppelin 20*
    Suspension
    All the Dutchware!
    I spent two nights in my hammock with my Tensa4 in Death Valley over the weekend. My only issue was my snoring, ground-dwelling neighbors!

• + New Posts
  • Page 174 of 182 FirstFirst ... 74124164172173174175176 ... LastLast