Hammock
    Dutch Netless 11'
    Tarp
    Noah's Tarp 12
    Insulation
    UGQ Zeppelin 20*
    Suspension
    All the Dutchware!
    I used mine at Mesa Verde last year, and it was pretty windy. I had no issues.

Hammock
    banana-shaped
    Tarp
    greenish
    Insulation
    yes
    Suspension
    disbelief

Tensa Outdoor and the commercial packable tensahedron stand

Quote Originally Posted by nathanjwuk View Post
    I'm curious how these stands do in the wind when a fly is attached? It was windy this weekend and hammocks on trees did just fine but I've been considering one of these as not everywhere I go with scouts has trees/enough trees. I was in a tent this weekend and the wind damaged a pole
    They’re fine in high winds. Pitching a tarp in high winds is just as comical as with trees. I’ve spent a couple nights wearing earplugs against the roar of tarp ripple, being bounced up and down as gusts caused the big winter tarp to pull the stand’s apexes together a couple inches. I figure the flex inherent in the stand helps keep the stakes from pulling out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    --
    Tensa Outdoor, LLC, maker of the Tensa4, Tensa Solo, and Tensa Trekking Treez hammock stands: http://tensaoutdoor.com/

Ok cool. Wasn't sure if it would flip the stand if unoccupied.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Econ 0°
    Suspension
    Straps
    Little fun in the sun and we saw first hand how a taco works (Sorry, no pics of that!) ...

IMG_20190324_153153.jpegIMG_20190324_154612.jpegIMG_20190324_154621.jpeg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Econ 0°
    Suspension
    Straps
    I know this one doesn't have to do with the stand but today we were both basking in the Sun at the park AND frolicking in the snow on the same day! That is one of the few things I like about California.

IMG_20190324_095125.jpeg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Hammock
    banana-shaped
    Tarp
    greenish
    Insulation
    yes
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Quote Originally Posted by nathanjwuk View Post
    Ok cool. Wasn't sure if it would flip the stand if unoccupied.
    Even without a tarp, in windy conditions it's wise to stake the stand down more than at the minimally required foot end, as the hammock can easily become a spinnaker and take it down. A downside of low weight. Stands ship with head and foot anchors. With a tarp, the tarp guys to ground serve also to pin the stand down.
    --
    Tensa Outdoor, LLC, maker of the Tensa4, Tensa Solo, and Tensa Trekking Treez hammock stands: http://tensaoutdoor.com/

Hammock
    WBBB XLC, WBRR,Dutch Argon1.6
    Insulation
    Wookie
    Suspension
    Dutch Beetle clips
    From a setup perspective how do tarp extensions differ from using REI 6 ft aluminum adjustable poles ?
    I know that there’s a slight weight difference. The aluminium poles work ok, but wondering what others think about it.

Another question is about the new toggle & loop connector small toggle, does it really simplify the time setup?
    Just wondering if these add-ons are worth it for me. Will it save time and less fiddling around?

Waiting on delivery of my Tensa Solo! Hurry USPS I want to get out and try it

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick2world View Post
    From a setup perspective how do tarp extensions differ from using REI 6 ft aluminum adjustable poles ?
    I know that there’s a slight weight difference. The aluminium poles work ok, but wondering what others think about it.

Another question is about the new toggle & loop connector small toggle, does it really simplify the time setup?
    Just wondering if these add-ons are worth it for me. Will it save time and less fiddling around?
    The REI poles would require 1-2 additional guylines and stakes per side. Maybe 1 guyline per side would be adequate since you could brace the pole against the apex of the stand.

I think the Tensa tarp extensions would allow a little higher maximum height than the REI tarp poles, unless you go with the larger diameter 8' poles.

If you have a stand and already have the REI poles, why not give it a try and see if you find any problems?

As for the toggle connectors, I don't think they really save setup time, although they do allow you to construct the stand without using the stand ridgeline, especially if your hammock has a structural ridgeline.

The toggle connectors were created along with the switch to webbing as an alternative to the original UCR adjustable system for stand ridgeline, baseline, and guyouts. The UCRs were time consuming to manufacture for the relatively small Tensa crew, and they are also a bit unfamiliar and could be intimidating to some users.
    Last edited by cmc4free; 03-30-2019 at 10:21.

Hammock
    12' Superior Hammock
    Tarp
    Kammok Kuhli
    Insulation
    Superior / UGQ
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick2world View Post

To echo cmc4free a bit:

Tarp extensions: as mentioned, no need to guy them out and stake them; also, along with being an overall more simple solution, they’re just wayyyy more compact / portable than a pair of REI poles. The compact nature of the stand is one of its key selling points / value propositions vs other hammock stand solutions— these tarp extensions fit in the bag with the rest of the stand and are quite light by comparison to the REI poles.

Still, if money is an issue and/or weight and space are not issues and you already have the REI poles and don’t mind the extra guy lines and stakes (this does increase the overall footprint of the setup), give the REI poles a go.

Re: the new toggles: I find them more fool-proof and less fiddly than the alternative. It was likely user error but I had the original Tensa4 fail during the setup process many times because my toggles weren’t set correctly— toggle would slip out of its loop on the UCR once enough tension was applied, stand would collapse. I’m sure I was just looping the ucr through the holes incorrectly or something, but the “how” was not as obvious to me as a relative novice with such apparatuses. (I only ever had this issue with the ridge line... the baseline never slipped on me.) These toggles remove that variable— they’re a simpler, more idiot-proof solution for clowns like me ��.

All that said, if you don’t have any issues with the current system you’re using, I don’t see a reason to change. Technically, separating the toggles from the baseline / ridge line simplifies setup for me a bit, so that could possibly sped things up for me ever so slightly. I just don’t feel like that marginal speed difference— if it even exists— is enough reason alone to make the change of the current system if its working for you.

• + New Posts
  • Page 107 of 182 FirstFirst ... 75797105106107108109117157 ... LastLast