Tarp
    DW Bonded P2F
    Insulation
    Unicorn Fur
    Suspension
    Beckett hitch
    Quote Originally Posted by Eddy Tippet View Post
    Hello Everybody!

First off, I tried to find the answers to my questions by searching this sub-forum, but with so many replies it was hard to find any relevant information.

I recently purchased the Tensa4 with the intentions of using my current backpacking hammock setup but quickly realized my permanently attached suspension would not work with the hammock stand.

Rather than alter my ultralight backpacking hammock setup and have to change it every time I switched from stand to trees, I decided to purchase a dedicated hammock and suspension for the Tensa4.

Since I am not worried about weight. I thought I would go with a wide 12' hammock for comfort and most likely a fixed 119.5" ridgeline.

(Unless there may be a reason that I am not aware of to have it be adjustable. I have been quite comfortable with the 83% of hammock length with past hammocks that were much shorter than 12'.)

My questions pertains to the suspension. I was thinking of going with...

• Titanium Beetle Buckles ~ $50
      • 8' Spider/Poly Straps (Not much more cost than purchasing the 4' straps separately and more versatile then the 4')
      • Sew-on Dutch Clips

...connected to 8" continuous loops from the hammock. $

Are Beetle Buckles overkill for a hammock with a 119.5" ridgeline, since I will not be using this suspension anywhere other than the Tensa4?

Could I get away with only using the continuous loops that are attached directly to the hammock?

Maybe something similar to what Shug shows in his Tensa4 video:

Since, I believe, the hammock in the video was 11', would I be able to get away with only using and 8" continuous loop on the head end and a 15" loop on the foot end? ~ $6

If those are not quite long enough, could I maybe add a biner and another loop to the foot end and get the desired hang?

I would rather spend less money but also keep the setup and adjustments as simple as possible.

Any input is greatly appreciated! Thanks!
    I'm seriously just using the continuous loops on my Chameleon, tree straps (around one, not both poles of the Tensa), and a becket hitch - it doesn't get much simpler. I'm sure that you could get away with the suspension you're talking about.
    Medical professional, semi-professional Scouter, aspiring layabout.
    "If it's stupid, and it works - it's not stupid."

S487-132

Hammock
    banana-shaped
    Tarp
    greenish
    Insulation
    yes
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Are Beetle Buckles overkill for a hammock with a 119.5" ridgeline, since I will not be using this suspension anywhere other than the Tensa4?

Could I get away with only using the continuous loops that are attached directly to the hammock?
    Yes, I think. In our testing of 12’ers, CLs connect directly to apex connector/crux and it’s fine. Not sure what trouble you’re having with original suspension though either.

Tensa is considering making the webbing option the default/only, with Amsteel lines a separate purchase for those wanting them. The webbing kit comes with daisy loops and carabiners that make any separate hammock suspension redundant, while with Amsteel the customer may have to improvise more, for instance if their adjustable suspension can’t work for very close distances of 2”-12”.

Aesthetics aside, the best case for getting Amsteel lines is if you plan to get a Solo conversion kit for a lighter option. The weight savings in the context of Tensa4 alone at around 12lbs aren’t very meaningful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    --
    Tensa Outdoor, LLC, maker of the Tensa4, Tensa Solo, and Tensa Trekking Treez hammock stands: http://tensaoutdoor.com/

Hammock
    Who can choose?
    Tarp
    DW Bonded P2F
    Insulation
    Unicorn Fur
    Suspension
    Beckett hitch
    Quote Originally Posted by Latherdome View Post

Tensa is considering making the webbing option the default/only, with Amsteel lines a separate purchase for those wanting them. The webbing kit comes with daisy loops and carabiners that make any separate hammock suspension redundant, while with Amsteel the customer may have to improvise more, for instance if their adjustable suspension can’t work for very close distances of 2”-12”.

Aesthetics aside, the best case for getting Amsteel lines is if you plan to get a Solo conversion kit for a lighter option. The weight savings in the context of Tensa4 alone at around 12lbs aren’t very meaningful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    That's the reason I went with the Amsteel lines over the webbing - because I plan to get the Solo conversion in the near future. That said, I strongly suspect it would have been a slightly easier learning curve with the webbing; however, I've found the folks on this forum to be remarkably helpful.

I like having the Amsteel lines as an option, but I could see including them as an add-on with the Solo conversion instead of with the Tensa4 stand possibly.

Thanks, Latherdome for making such a cool product and for being so willing to give advice on how to use it.

S487-132

Hammock
    Grand Trunk Ultralight
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah 12
    Insulation
    SnugPak Modded
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings

Question Cheapest, Simple Tensa4 Suspension for 12' Hammock?

Quote Originally Posted by DocTheo View Post
    I'm seriously just using the continuous loops on my Chameleon, tree straps (around one, not both poles of the Tensa), and a becket hitch - it doesn't get much simpler. I'm sure that you could get away with the suspension you're talking about.
    Thanks for the quick reply DocTheo!

I use the becket hitch for a lot of things. Easy and lightweight. Great knot!

I am not worried about weight and I do want something more "permanent", so I would rather stay away from the becket hitch in this case. Besides, wrapping a loop around a pole sounds pretty easy.

I will assume that your Chameleon is 11' with 8" continuous loops and a 109.5" ridgeline. If that is not the case please let me know so I can get a better idea of your setup.

If that is the case, that's a 10" horizontal difference from a 119.5" ridgeline. To get a better idea of the length of loop/suspension that I may need, I am inclined to ask:

What is the distance from the pole to each loop using your setup?

Hammock
    Who can choose?
    Tarp
    DW Bonded P2F
    Insulation
    Unicorn Fur
    Suspension
    Beckett hitch
    Thanks for the quick reply DocTheo!

I use the becket hitch for a lot of things. Easy and lightweight. Great knot!

I am not worried about weight and I do want something more "permanent", so I would rather stay away from the becket hitch in this case. Besides, wrapping a loop around a pole sounds pretty easy.

I will assume that your Chameleon is 11' with 8" continuous loops and a 109.5" ridgeline. If that is not the case please let me know so I can get a better idea of your setup.

If that is the case, that's a 10" horizontal difference from a 119.5" ridgeline. To get a better idea of the length of loop/suspension that I may need, I am inclined to ask:

What is the distance from the pole to each loop using your setup?
    You're right - I didn't read in depth that you had a longer ridgeline to contend with. I've got the stock Chameleon 11' with a 109.5 ridgeline and 8" continuous loops. As it sits right now (and really fairly comfortably dialed in) I've got just under 12" on the head end from pole to loop (where the loop shows in the becket knot) and about 10" at the foot end; obviously some wiggle room there, but not much. However, the versatility of the Tensa4 allows for you to lengthen apex and vertex points a bit and adjust your height by pulling in the side feet slightly and still be stable; so you should still be able to accommodate your longer ridgeline with your suspension; latherdome may have the actual math on that for you better than I. Hope that was helpful!

S487-132

Hammock
    Grand Trunk Ultralight
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah 12
    Insulation
    SnugPak Modded
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings

Question Continuous Loop Lengths for a 12' Hammock with a 119.5" Ridgeline on a Tensa4

Hi Latherdome!

Not sure what trouble you’re having with original suspension though either.
    My whoopie slings are directly connected to my hammock (saving a bit of weight) and will not adjust small enough to attach to the Tensa4 at an acceptable angle. I could change my by backpacking hammock setup but I would just rather have an excuse to buy another hammock! ;-)

Webbing with daisy loops would not make a difference in my case but I'm pretty sure I may be in the minority.

FYI: Weight isn't the reason I purchased my Tensa4 with Amsteel. I wanted to have the option to use the Amsteel whoppie slings for other functions. I have a lot of webbing and the ability to sew custom length straps once I get my Tensa4 setup dialed in. But yet again, I'm pretty sure I may be in the minority.

Yes, I think. In our testing of 12’ers, CLs connect directly to apex connector/crux and it’s fine.
    Great! Any idea what lengths for the CLs may work well for a 12er with a 119.5" ridgeline?

Hammock
    Grand Trunk Ultralight
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah 12
    Insulation
    SnugPak Modded
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings

Question Continuous Loop Only Tensa4 Suspension Lengths for a 12' Hammock with a 119.5" Ridgeline?

Quote Originally Posted by DocTheo View Post
    Hope that was helpful!
    Thanks again DocTheo! Very helpful!

Sounds like I may want 15" CLs on each side for some adjustability.

Can anyone out there confirm CL lengths for a Tensa4 suspension using only CLs on a 12er with 119.5" ridgeline?

There are so many variables involved it's almost impossible to determine the right continuous loop length for someone else. Hammock height off the ground, head and foot clearance from the respective poles, desired height difference (if any) of each apex, desired height difference of head and foot ends of the hammock, lay angle amd/or hammock width, etc.

There's really no substitute for trial and error.

I started with equal suspensions on each side and a 72 inch base spread and fiddled form there.

Love the stand especially for motorcycle trips. As others have mentioned, once it's dialed in, it's dialed in and not difficult to replicate the desired setup if the hammock stays the same.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Grand Trunk Ultralight
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah 12
    Insulation
    SnugPak Modded
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings

Question Continuous Loop Only Tensa4 Suspension Lengths for a 12' Hammock with a 119.5" Ridgeline?

Quote Originally Posted by rodentface View Post
    There's really no substitute for trial and error.
    Thanks for the input rodentface!

I am very aware of the intricacies of adjustability with so many variables when hanging a hammock in any fashion, particularly the Tensa4. I will need to buy a new suspension to hang my hammock, so I would like to do some research before that purchase in order to save my hard earned money and my very precious time.

I am looking for examples of this method from others, that have hung their hammocks in a similar manner with a similar setup.

So, I disagree that there is no substitute for trial and error, particularly when my time and money is involved. I like to learn from those who are willing to share from their own observations. After all, is that not what we are here for? To share our experience and love for hammocks? As well as the Tensa4

Sorry to be so blunt. Please forgive me. I digress...

The Tensa4 is said to handle a 12er so I believe that leaves a very short length of suspension necessary for a "comfortable" hang, no matter the variables. Please feel free to share with me if you have had a different conclusion, and details would be great.

If I can get the measurements from enough other people, I can come up with a reasonable minimum and maximum length for the CLs for my head and foot ends on 12er with a 119.5" ridgeline without any other suspension or connections. Or maybe there is someone out there that has already done the research and hangs just as I am asking about. Then again, maybe I am asking too much. Can't hurt to try though, right?

After fiddling with your suspension,ratface, what length did you end up with from CL (or whatever suspension) to Pole? Hammock, ridgeline, CL length and other details may help as well.

Hey Eddy, no apology necessary. You're asking relevant questions. I didn't intend to squash your curiosity or any helpful feedback. Hearing what other folks do can be super helpful. I really just meant that sometimes getting started is the most helpful step of all.

Before I settled on a permanent suspension for my Tensa4 I used short poly straps attached to my hammock continuous loops via Becket hitch to experiment with a variety of foot and head end lengths and combinations.

I tried head and foot 6" continuous loops direct to Tensa4 up to about 18" of total suspension on each end, and all manner of combinations of shorter on one end and longer on the other.

I have a pretty standard hammock - 11' x 58" with an 80% ridgeline. I settled into about 12" total suspension on the foot end, about 9" total on the head end, and a 70" base spread. I prefer a sit height of at least 24". I'm 60' 185#.

I experimented until I was satisfied with my Tensa4 hang and then added a tarp after making my own tarp extensions. I keep my tarp about 6.5' tall on the foot end - I like to be able to stand up comfortably under about half of my tarp. Head end of the tarp is substantially lower.

Though my hammock hang is the same every time my tarp setup changes based on weather and other environmental factors.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

• + New Posts
  • Page 165 of 182 FirstFirst ... 65115155163164165166167175 ... LastLast