WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Econ 0°
    Suspension
    Straps
    Quote Originally Posted by cmc4free View Post
    The little cotter pins used to thread the stand ridgeline through the poles have me concerned for possible tarp punctures
    Yeah ditto on this, definitely something that should be looked at for the next iteration. Definitely would like to see the elimination of sharp objects.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Hammock
    banana-shaped
    Tarp
    greenish
    Insulation
    yes
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Quote Originally Posted by Hangdang View Post
    Yeah ditto on this, definitely something that should be looked at for the next iteration. Definitely would like to see the elimination of sharp objects.
    I'm honestly not seeing how those dangly cotter pins present a threat to a tarp run over the V of the poles. What am I missing?
    --
    Tensa Outdoor, LLC, maker of the Tensa4, Tensa Solo, and Tensa Trekking Treez hammock stands: http://tensaoutdoor.com/

Hammock
    Chameleon, Halfwit
    Tarp
    DIY DynaFly
    Insulation
    EE TQ & UQ,
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cmc4free View Post
    Yes, after shortening the base, head or feet were brushing the poles. I'm 6'1” for reference. In addition to using separate tarp poles like I mentioned, I could also try running the tarp ridge seam through the small V at the pole junction apex and guying the ends of the tarp to the ground. The little cotter pins used to thread the stand ridgeline through the poles have me concerned for possible tarp punctures if I tried this though. Over-stressing the tarp seam might also be a concern setting up in this fashion.

Again, for an 11' tarp there would be no issue. That just happens to be the gap in the tarp sizes I currently own.

It's more poles and more guylines, but I kind of like the separate tarp poles idea. I think the ones I have would fit in the Tensa carry bag, and there would be no change in tension on the tarp due to small changes in the stand geometry caused by getting into the hammock.

Interested to follow development on raftingtigger's tarp extensions, too.
    This is actually not a bad line of thinking for my DynaFly ridge tension situation also. Loop the solid end on the foot with a beefy tether and use my trekking pole on the head end to allow the stand to do its Tensa thing. Makes setting the tarp level while keeping the hammock head end lower a lot easier too.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    Be what Is to Become
    Become what Is to Be
    Make the Future
    Given Thee...

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Latherdome View Post
    I'm honestly not seeing how those dangly cotter pins present a threat to a tarp run over the V of the poles. What am I missing?
    I only mentioned it as a slight concern, but mine are not always dangly. I'm not yet convinced I have all the Amsteel for the stand ridgeline and the dog bones I'm using in my hammock suspension set up optimally. The dog bones are looped above the stand ridgeline and therefore are exerting downward forces onto the stand ridgeline when the hammock is loaded. This seems like over time I'd be accelerating wear on the Amsteel ridgeline where it comes through the poles. Also with the way I've got all the lines routed, I've noticed the cotter pin pointing upward at times. I can try to get some photos to show this tomorrow.

I'm pretty certain this is user error from my overall newness to the stand, rather than any sort of serious design flaw.
    Last edited by cmc4free; 10-02-2018 at 23:12.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Econ 0°
    Suspension
    Straps
    Quote Originally Posted by Latherdome View Post
    Well I too have not had any direct issues, it would be nice just to avoid sharp things... kind of how I don't get into my hammock with my knife clipped to my pocket. You're just kind of asking for trouble in my opinion.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dynamystic View Post
    Makes setting the tarp level while keeping the hammock head end lower a lot easier too.
    A very good point.

Hammock
    WB Eldorado/DIY
    Tarp
    WB MiniFly/DIY 12'
    Insulation
    WB Wooki/HG Burrow
    Suspension
    DW Spider/Beetle
    I have to admit, I've never given the pin and stuff a second thought. This is how a attached my 12ft winter tarp to the stand. An 11ft tarp will work natively, and would be just right. 12ft (and bigger?!) will work great with the upcoming tarp extenders. I will be one of the first in line to purchase when they are ready.

This was just backyard proof of concept testing. There is nothing in the 'V' that would have damaged the tarp. I attached the tarp ridgeline to the orange screws on either end, but I could just as well have attached it to hiking poles, or a separate set of stakes.

tarp-1.jpg

tarp-2.jpg

Hammock
    WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    RSBTR Winter Hex12
    Insulation
    DIY Wookie style
    Suspension
    Tensa4, Trekking
    Images
    Re: the 'sharp' cotter pins. They are going away on the next wave. We are constantly improving and simplifying things, and that includes the tarp extensions. BTW the mods in progress are retrofittable, but minor.
    Come check out the Tensa4 tensahedron stand and other hammock stands at http://www.TensaOutdoor.com and [email protected]

Hammock
    ridgerunner
    Tarp
    superfly
    Suspension
    buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by raftingtigger View Post
    Re: the 'sharp' cotter pins. They are going away on the next wave. We are constantly improving and simplifying things, and that includes the tarp extensions. BTW the mods in progress are retrofittable, but minor.
    Seems I should not have shot from the hip for v2. I've received it last week, but am waiting to set this up on my balcony.

Hammock
    WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    RSBTR Winter Hex12
    Insulation
    DIY Wookie style
    Suspension
    Tensa4, Trekking
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by W8lkinUSA View Post
    Seems I should not have shot from the hip for v2. I've received it last week, but am waiting to set this up on my balcony.
    We plan on continuous improvements as we develop them. You could wait for us to run out of innovations, but that might be a long time. However the big major improvement (keyed and anodized tubing) has already happened. What we have now are little refinements, and they can easily be retrofitted to the current v2.0 and most to the v1.0 and Beta.
    Come check out the Tensa4 tensahedron stand and other hammock stands at http://www.TensaOutdoor.com and [email protected]

• + New Posts
  • Page 55 of 182 FirstFirst ... 545535455565765105155 ... LastLast