Tarp
    RSBTR Winter Hex12
    Insulation
    DIY Wookie style
    Suspension
    Tensa4, Trekking
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Toast Sensei View Post
    Yup, got that one down. Actually read the instructions, it's the first bullet under "Don'ts". The puzzle I'm sorting through now is with the 'new' ball caps & loops...while the new location seems great for keeping the poles together, not a lot of room up there for looping over a daisy chain webbing or amsteel. So looking for some extra guidance there so I don't inadvertently do something bad.
    The loops on the daisy chain are a little small to loop over the black pole end. Just run the ball loop through a daisy chain loop. If your loop is over the black pole end - even a little bit - it is fine. Highly recommend you put the ball loop through whatever, rather than loop over the pole - but both work.
    Come check out the Tensa4 tensahedron stand and other hammock stands at http://www.TensaOutdoor.com and [email protected]

Hammock
    banana-shaped
    Tarp
    greenish
    Insulation
    yes
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Quote Originally Posted by Toast Sensei View Post
    Yup, got that one down. Actually read the instructions, it's the first bullet under "Don'ts". The puzzle I'm sorting through now is with the 'new' ball caps & loops...while the new location seems great for keeping the poles together, not a lot of room up there for looping over a daisy chain webbing or amsteel. So looking for some extra guidance there so I don't inadvertently do something bad.
    We shipped a handful of the newest production stands before fully updating the docs. Sorry about that! They're in PDF format on our site: https://www.tensaoutdoor.com/wp-cont...r-Guide-p5.pdf

Screenshot of page 5, showing the new suggested/canonical attachment method. Lots of variations will also work:

Our imminent restock of webbing guylines has daisy chain loops that stand open, roomier for ease of looping over things, passing ball loop pin or carabiner through when your other hand may be busy...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Latherdome; 01-16-2022 at 22:12.
    --
    Tensa Outdoor, LLC, maker of the Tensa4, Tensa Solo, and Tensa Trekking Treez hammock stands: http://tensaoutdoor.com/

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Wookie UQ/ HG Burr
    Suspension
    Whoopi sling. Yobo

Can anyone tell me if the is a acceptable way to hang my hammock on the stand? Carabiner hooked on the ridge line where it loops through the poles and through the continuous loop on my warbonnet bbxlc

Hammock
    WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    RSBTR Winter Hex12
    Insulation
    DIY Wookie style
    Suspension
    Tensa4, Trekking
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Eruption View Post

Can anyone tell me if the is a acceptable way to hang my hammock on the stand? Carabiner hooked on the ridge line where it loops through the poles and through the continuous loop on my warbonnet bbxlc

Perfectly acceptable.
    Come check out the Tensa4 tensahedron stand and other hammock stands at http://www.TensaOutdoor.com and [email protected]

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Wookie UQ/ HG Burr
    Suspension
    Whoopi sling. Yobo
    Quote Originally Posted by raftingtigger View Post
    Perfectly acceptable.
    Great thanks! I think I got this stand dialed in now.

Fabotastic...thank you everyone. Fundamentally seems like the ball loop is weight supportive and can be used as anchor spot.

New documentation looks triffic too with motorcycle on the cover, poifect for me!

Will post some glam shots when winter is over. Need to show some setups with a tarp cover too.

Hammock
    MTHL 11' w/wo net
    Tarp
    DIY Silnylon Rect
    Insulation
    DIY Costco Quilt
    Suspension
    MTHL 2in dyneema
    Images
    This product looks absolutely amazing, and you seem to be great community members!

Only one thing is stopping me from purchasing immediately. I have two use cases for a hammock stand, one that a tensahedron would suit wonderfully, bikepacking. However, while the prototype was < 4lbs, the current edition sits at 13lbs, and that extra weight sure can be felt on the climbs.

I'm considering constructing a collapsible carbon fiber version, but I sure would line up if Tensa Outdoor were to manufacture a run!

Hammock
    banana-shaped
    Tarp
    greenish
    Insulation
    yes
    Suspension
    disbelief

Tensa Outdoor and the commercial packable tensahedron stand

Quote Originally Posted by altSalt View Post
    This product looks absolutely amazing, and you seem to be great community members!

Only one thing is stopping me from purchasing immediately. I have two use cases for a hammock stand, one that a tensahedron would suit wonderfully, bikepacking. However, while the prototype was &lt; 4lbs, the current edition sits at 13lbs, and that extra weight sure can be felt on the climbs.

I'm considering constructing a collapsible carbon fiber version, but I sure would line up if Tensa Outdoor were to manufacture a run!
    Yeah we don’t see Tensa4 as light enough to appeal for actual backpacking, though we know people have rucked it at least 10 miles at a time. While packing small compared to its deployed size, it’s still a biggish item in a backpack too.

Trekking Treez is our carbon fiber UL hammock stand for hikers who use trekking poles. For bikepacking where trekking pole functionality is superfluous, I’d suggest Tensa Solo as almost as light and way cheaper. You can use the bike guyed out as support for the head end, letting you carry only one Solo (is that redundant?).

Google “Carbon Tree hammock stand” for a German-made carbon fiber tensahedron. It’s quite light as expected (though heavier than Tensa Solo) but check the rather low weight limit when used for gathered end hammocks (maker makes transverse hammocks comparable to Amok Draumr, which put less stress on the poles).

Bluntly: Americans are fatter (on average. A size M here is L in Europe and XL in Asia. Not about genes. I blame the extent to which car dependency is accepted as normal or even desirable here). As a non-telescopic design it also doesn’t pack down super small. That’s why we didn’t go with CF: would be rather fragile in weights that still would be viable for backpacking with the most popular hammock types and sizes, and of course expensive. Much smaller market. We don’t rule it out in future though.

Last edited by Latherdome; 02-03-2022 at 08:09.
    --
    Tensa Outdoor, LLC, maker of the Tensa4, Tensa Solo, and Tensa Trekking Treez hammock stands: http://tensaoutdoor.com/

Hammock
    MTHL 11' w/wo net
    Tarp
    DIY Silnylon Rect
    Insulation
    DIY Costco Quilt
    Suspension
    MTHL 2in dyneema
    Images
    Thanks for the rapid response, like I said, great community member!

Quote Originally Posted by Latherdome View Post
    Yeah we don’t see Tensa4 as light enough to appeal for actual backpacking, though we know people have rucked it at least 10 miles at a time. While packing small compared to its deployed size, it’s still a biggish item in a backpack too.
    Luckily, one can carry a bit more on a bike and it's usually easier to ride a bit further to find a better tree span, but there are definitely some places with nary a shrub. One of the things that really caught my eye about the tensahedron was the XX rigging, removing the strict need for anchoring. This opens up a world of possibilities, including being able to reuse the same stand for hotel-travel.

Trekking Treez is our carbon fiber UL hammock stand for hikers who use trekking poles. For bikepacking where trekking pole functionality is superfluous, I’d suggest Tensa Solo as almost as light and way cheaper. You can use the bike guyed out as support for the head end, letting you carry only one Solo (is that redundant?).
    I've definitely considered whether a bike guyed out would be enough support and am up for some experimentation. Part of what makes the Tensa4 so appealing is the Tensa Solo conversion potential. However, this doesn't address the use cases where the ground is unsuitable for anchoring.

Google “Carbon Tree hammock stand” for a German-made carbon fiber tensahedron. It’s quite light as expected (though heavier than Tensa Solo) but check the rather low weight limit when used for gathered end hammocks (maker makes transverse hammocks comparable to Amok Draumr, which put less stress on the poles).

Bluntly: Americans are fatter (on average. A size M here is L in Europe and XL in Asia. Not about genes. I blame the extent to which car dependency is accepted as normal or even desirable here). As a non-telescopic design it also doesn’t pack down super small. That’s why we didn’t go with CF: would be rather fragile in weights that still would be viable for backpacking with the most popular hammock types and sizes, and of course expensive. Much smaller market. We don’t rule it out in future though.
    To provide a little background, I was initially looking at the yobo cricket, but as it's out of price range and seemed to have too many fiddly parts, I was working on designs for diy printed/reinforced versions of the fittings. However, after seeing the tensahedron design, especially with the XX rigging, I was pretty sold.

Carbon Tree did come up in my research, but as you pointed out, the weight limit is quite low and I am by no means light (specs to be shared in some future thread I'm sure...) so whatever stand I select will need to be stout.

Do you think fittings that taper and couple together like a windsurf mast, rather than telescoping, would provide enough additional strength to reduce the overall length to something that is more manageable?

Aside from the poles themselves (and I understand if this line of questioning may be more appropriate for a thread of its own) do you have features that are must-includes for a diy version?

Hammock
    one wind 11' wide
    Tarp
    one wind 12'
    Insulation
    SLD, UGQ, LL, JRB
    Suspension
    UCR
    I bikepack and have a Solo that fits nice along the side of my top tube. I also spend a lot of my time in the desert where trees are scarce but can still usually find one support to go w/ the Solo. Being on a bike gives me more range to find that one support in as well verses being on foot.
    I'm sure I could use my bike for one end if needed but carrying two Solos along the top tube would be pretty easy and not that much of a weight gain in my opinion.

• + New Posts
  • Page 173 of 182 FirstFirst ... 73123163171172173174175 ... LastLast