Hammock
    one wind 11' wide
    Tarp
    one wind 12'
    Insulation
    SLD, UGQ, LL, JRB
    Suspension
    UCR
    @cougarmeat, for setting up in sandy soil, which I get to do a couple times a year in Florida, I've been playing w/ using sand stakes like these to hold my one pole hangs.https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0758...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I don't yet have enough hangs on them to give you a good review, but something to think about.

Quote Originally Posted by Latherdome View Post
    Soil conditions are just about infinitely variable, sometimes in the same day if it’s raining, so it’s hard to generalize. We will soon remove the “Orange Screws only” option (along with Amsteel
    lines) for Tensa4. Having one anchor that works for the foot side is critical, so having one of each kind will be the default. If soil doesn’t let you use a head anchor, you can use a counterweight on head apex to similar effect.

We include a 30cm with Tensa4. If that pulls out, probably Orange Screw is better. 40cm BS holds about as OS in all but the softest ground where OS tends to be better. BS can be hammered into softer rock, while OS can’t be driven into some firm clay soils.

Clear as mud right? Mud is tricky.

90% of the time I tie off to something on site like a shrub or table or motorbike, only using ground anchors where they are truly essential.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I’ll underscore the wise advice of considering any ground anchors as a last resort. You should almost always be able to find a spot where tying off to a root, shrub, branch, etc is viable!

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Hammichael View Post
    I’ll underscore the wise advice of considering any ground anchors as a last resort. You should almost always be able to find a spot where tying off to a root, shrub, branch, etc is viable!

I have also used the stakes backed up in various ways, including other stakes. Assuming no branches or roots or bushes stout enough to hold me by themselves, and questionable ground, I have put a stake or screw in and the run a cord from stake to root etc. Or to another stake. Or, if available(maybe not, if camping), a weight hung under the Apex takes a LOT of load off of the stake or screw.

Images
    Oh, I forgot: At a recent 4 night hang, I tethered to what looked like an Aspen, but in NY. It was only a couple of inches, maybe 3 or 4 max, in diameter. I would have NEVER tried to hang a hammock from that, and if I did I would expect a lot of flexing or maybe even a break.

Because it was just a few inches from the foot end of the Tensa, I was attached fairly high on the tree. No problems. For back up, a ran another strap from the attachment point down to an orange screw in the forest duff. But that strap was never even stretched tight, a buddy said the little tree did not even budge once I was in.

You can see the white tree at the far end of the hammock. Again, I would never consider hanging my hammock directly to that little tree.

Hammock
    DH Sparrow
    Tarp
    13' Winter Haven
    Insulation
    quilts
    Suspension
    Tensa4
    I like the Orange Screw ground anchors, they work really well in many places. But if there is a decent anchor already in the right place then why not use that instead?

A picnic table is heavy enough and solid enough, they work regardless of the soil type. In this picture my Tensa stand foot-end is secured by the orange webbing and my tarp is secured with the yellow Zing-It. It really is just the foot-end of the hammock that is critical, it is the only thing that you need to give priority to if you can only find one good solid anchor point. I've used poles, posts, trees, picnic tables, etc. anything that won't move is suitable. Every time I've setup where the ground is really hard and I can't get the Orange Screw into the ground, I have found something to anchor my foot-end to. Everything else is fine with my 6mm titanium tent nails hammered into the ground.

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    Latherdome - Thank you for that info. I understand the Tensa4 just needs that one anchor and many things will substitute for a ground anchor. I was thinking more in terms of the Solo pole. I tried the HandyHammock device once in the park and saw there was a real tug on those ground anchors. My concern with the 40cm spike is if I can find ground soft enough to pound it down enough to get the benefit of the additional 4 inches and also if, once pounded in, I’ll be able to put it out. That’s about 15 inches. I figured, for a Solo, I’d get a set of orange screws and broomsticks - but wondered about 30cm vs 40 cm. One way of thinking is, the 40 cm is just like the 30 cm if I don’t pound it in all the way. And I still have the extra length if I need it.

I understand that one can get a Tensa4 and a conversion kit if they want to take just a Solo pole. But I’d probably end up with both styles. That way, the Tensa4 would be complete and the Solo would be complete without having to mess with gear. And I’d have a solution for two people - assuming the “other end” connection for the Solo. When I review the places I’ve camped. There has alway been at least one good connection point for a hammock end - even if it was just the jeep.

LowTech - thank you for the suggestion. I have several of those “stakes” from snow camping my during my foolish youth. There was always that point, on the way to the summit, where you’d look back down and see the lake or meadow where you might have first camped. And you’d look around at the rock/snow/ice and know below there were critter frolicking in the warm friendly forest and wonder, “What am I doing up here!” Then you’d take a deep breath and another step and move upward, telling yourself this will be the last mountain. But then, when you get to the top, you look out at the visit and see another peak. And start planning. …
    Last edited by cougarmeat; 11-17-2021 at 14:24.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    banana-shaped
    Tarp
    greenish
    Insulation
    yes
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Quote Originally Posted by cougarmeat View Post
    Latherdome - Thank you for that info. I understand the Tensa4 just needs that one anchor and many things will substitute for a ground anchor. I was thinking more in terms of the Solo pole. I tried the HandyHammock device once in the park and saw there was a real tug on those ground anchors. My concern with the 40cm spike is if I can find ground soft enough to pound it down enough to get the benefit of the additional 4 inches and also if, once pounded in, I’ll be able to put it out. That’s about 15 inches. I figured, for a Solo, I’d get a set of orange screws and broomsticks - but wondered about 30cm vs 40 cm. One way of thinking is, the 40 cm is just like the 30 cm if I don’t pound it in all the way. And I still have the extra length if I need it.

I understand that one can get a Tensa4 and a conversion kit if they want to take just a Solo pole. But I’d probably end up with both styles. That way, the Tensa4 would be complete and the Solo would be complete without having to mess with gear. And I’d have a solution for two people - assuming the “other end” connection for the Solo. When I review the places I’ve camped. There has alway been at least one good connection point for a hammock end - even if it was just the jeep.
    I’ve had to struggle modestly to pull up the 40s sometimes. Helps to attach line, pull line over shoulder, hoist it like a heavy bag slung over shoulder.

At my 170lbs I’d always take 40 over 30. 30 is for small people, super ultralight enthusiasts, and those who know their ground will be hard.

For 2 people you can split a Tensa4 with one tree/vehicle, no need for Solo. Solo, like Trekking Treez, is something I’d recommend when Tensa4 is too heavy/bulky to appeal in a HIKING situation.

The boom part of Boomstake works only when you are able to sink the stake entirely. Problematic if you have rock under only a small depth of looser dirt. Not a problem if it’s hard from the surface down. The boom helps mainly in softer conditions.

--
    Tensa Outdoor, LLC, maker of the Tensa4, Tensa Solo, and Tensa Trekking Treez hammock stands: http://tensaoutdoor.com/

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    I’m surprised there haven’t been reports of the foot slipping. I guess the lbs/square inch are so great that it sort of makes it’s own pocket in the soil. I now recall that with one support, you could split the Tensa4 in two, each person with their own “V”.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    WalhallaCustom11'
    Tarp
    Walhalla Winter
    Insulation
    LL0°,CRO20°
    Suspension
    CL's/Buckles/Etc
    I’m surprised there haven’t been reports of the foot slipping. I guess the lbs/square inch are so great that it sort of makes it’s own pocket in the soil. I now recall that with one support, you could split the Tensa4 in two, each person with their own “V”.
    Also look at GroundGrabba for their ground anchors. I got their 12" AND their 24" anchors for our trip to Florida and Dry Tortugas this winter. No way was I going to rely on the Orange Screws for that trip. I'll bring my 18V Milwaukee drill to drive them in. They sell a bit as well as a drill bit to predrill if you need it. I bought it all and just got a padded tripod bag off Amazon that fits the 24" anchors and all the rest of the gear!

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
    www.wildcherrywoodworks.com (my business)
    www.mainechopstick.com (my other business)
    www.4alloutdoors.org (a friend's site I do reviews for)
    www.curlymaplechronicles.blogspot.com (my personal blog)

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Edge
    Insulation
    Wooki UQ; LL/HG TQ
    Suspension
    CL w/ Tensa 4

Cougarmeat, how do you split the Tensa4 in two, each person with their own "V"? I'm taking it you mean you use two poles on one end rather than just one pole (Solo style)? Is there someplace where I can see a photo of that or a video, because I am having trouble visualizing how that works.

Edit: Ok...I just found this on the Tensa site: https://www.tensaoutdoor.com/one-tre...v=7516fd43adaa I'm starting to "get it" from looking at those pics, but I still don't understand how just staking it under the apex prevents the two legs from "squatting out" further apart...how can the distance between the two legs be held constant with the base line no longer running straight between the two feet, but now "V"ing up instead to be anchored beneath the apex. Admittedly I'm a terrible visualizer and an even worse engineer...but I keep looking at those pictures and thinking there needs to be a STRAIGHT line holding the two feet from further spreading apart. I'm with one of the commenters at the end of that article...I need to see a video!
    Last edited by Dublinlin; 11-18-2021 at 14:46.

• + New Posts
  • Page 170 of 182 FirstFirst ... 70120160168169170171172180 ... LastLast