Hammock
    WB Eldorado/DIY
    Tarp
    WB MiniFly/DIY 12'
    Insulation
    WB Wooki/HG Burrow
    Suspension
    DW Spider/Beetle
    Couldn't agree more with your assessment of the Tensa stand with motorcycle travel. It has absolutely changed things for me in a very positive way. I have used my stand in places that I couldn't have considered before, and it takes a lot of planning and worry out the trips.

I think I may pickup 2 of the REI poles. Porch mode is the one things I haven't used when traveling on the bike. I use my DIY 12 foot winter tarp, and have plenty of room for porch mode when I can do it.

I didn't realize Honda was using the DCT on the AT. That may push me over edge on it. I test rode a Goldwing with a DCT, and really, really liked it.

Hammock
    Amok XL
    Tarp
    TBD
    Suspension
    Tensa
    Looks great, Im really looking forward to getting the Tensa and Amok XL packed on the bike for some trips this year. If everything works out maybe even Alaska and Tuktoyaktuk! I need to fill in those blank areas on the upper left of my avatar pic and I;m not getting any younger.

Hammock
    Big Guy Bridge
    Tarp
    CRO Winter Haven
    Insulation
    JRB UQ, HG TQ
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckle 15'
    Quote Originally Posted by Crazytown3 View Post
    Couldn't agree more with your assessment of the Tensa stand with motorcycle travel. It has absolutely changed things for me in a very positive way. I have used my stand in places that I couldn't have considered before, and it takes a lot of planning and worry out the trips.

I think I may pickup 2 of the REI poles. Porch mode is the one things I haven't used when traveling on the bike. I use my DIY 12 foot winter tarp, and have plenty of room for porch mode when I can do it.

I didn't realize Honda was using the DCT on the AT. That may push me over edge on it. I test rode a Goldwing with a DCT, and really, really liked it.
    The stand goes with me on my kayak camping trips, too. Trekking poles would work for porch mode, I would think. I never seem to want to set up that way, though. I have a separate silnylon tarp that I set up over the dining area where I camp. Just got a Sierra Designs table that I can't wait to try out. It's just the right height for next to the hammock or my chair zero.
    "God never sends us anything we can't handle. Sometimes I wish He didn't trust me so much." - Mother Teresa.

Hammock
    banana-shaped
    Tarp
    greenish
    Insulation
    yes
    Suspension
    disbelief
    I just put up a time-lapse video of part of the very sophisticated current Tensa4 production process. Enjoy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3-lPSwdJJTc

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    --
    Tensa Outdoor, LLC, maker of the Tensa4, Tensa Solo, and Tensa Trekking Treez hammock stands: http://tensaoutdoor.com/

Hammock
    WBBB XLC; WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Wooki UQ Mamba TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    You work fast!
    The game is the best teacher.

Hammock
    banana-shaped
    Tarp
    greenish
    Insulation
    yes
    Suspension
    disbelief

Free-standing variant

A Redditor with handle sbharnish posted a photo of his "4-legged tensahedron stand" the other day, based on his heavy conduit DIY: https://www.reddit.com/r/Hammocks/co...ahedron_stand/ .

Pretty neat if you've always wanted a truly free-standing version. We confirm that it works with the commercial Tensa4 and probably most any DIY out there:

Pros:
    - truly free standing
    - no taco

Cons:
    - diminished weight capacity (TBD, guessing not much more than 225lbs)
    - more time-consuming/fiddly to set up unless setting anchors with normal configuration is especially difficult
    - very low sit height with 11' hammock (maximum compatible length. pro: less far to fall?)
    - requires a larger patch of level ground
    - any tarp will be very low, even with extension kit
    - taller users more likely to contact poles in use; all users more likely to contact poles upon entry/exit

These points suggest that it may be a more compelling option indoors than out. We find that lightweight stands require ground anchoring to avoid blowing over in wind, regardless whether free-standing by design.

Requires that you use more lines: an extra guyline and a base trapezoid. These are provisional figures to be refined:

D53A7879-C5B0-4D31-9B40-72B5775CCAF5.png 87485463_568058160467489_3786199974220398592_n.jpg
    Last edited by Latherdome; 02-23-2020 at 23:35.
    --
    Tensa Outdoor, LLC, maker of the Tensa4, Tensa Solo, and Tensa Trekking Treez hammock stands: http://tensaoutdoor.com/

Hammock
    WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    RSBTR Winter Hex12
    Insulation
    DIY Wookie style
    Suspension
    Tensa4, Trekking
    Images
    T4 freestanding w poles top view.jpgT4 freestanding w poles side view.jpgT4 freestanding base.png

THIS IS EXPERIMENTAL ONLY.

I'm using a Ridge hammock with 8" of suspension on both ends.
    Standard Tensa4 struts and connectors on the top apexes.
    2 guylines per top apex
    4 lines to make the base
    The poles do not touch where they cross.
    It is very narrow, and the only way I've gotten it to work is with my feet and head extending UNDER the poles.

Since this is EXPERIMENTAL we can't warranty breakage used this way.
    Come check out the Tensa4 tensahedron stand and other hammock stands at http://www.TensaOutdoor.com and [email protected]

Hammock
    Big Guy Bridge
    Tarp
    CRO Winter Haven
    Insulation
    JRB UQ, HG TQ
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckle 15'
    Quote Originally Posted by raftingtigger View Post
    T4 freestanding w poles top view.jpgT4 freestanding w poles side view.jpgT4 freestanding base.png

THIS IS EXPERIMENTAL ONLY.

I'm using a Ridge hammock with 8" of suspension on both ends.
    Standard Tensa4 struts and connectors on the top apexes.
    2 guylines per top apex
    4 lines to make the base
    The poles do not touch where they cross.
    It is very narrow, and the only way I've gotten it to work is with my feet and head extending UNDER the poles.

Since this is EXPERIMENTAL we can't warranty breakage used this way.
    This might be a good option for hotel rooms where it may be difficult to find anchor points.
    "God never sends us anything we can't handle. Sometimes I wish He didn't trust me so much." - Mother Teresa.

Hammock
    Dutch 12' Netless
    Tarp
    ProVenture Nylon
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Humming Bird style
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Latherdome View Post
    Looks like a death trap for that 2:00am nature call. A normal setup you have two ways to get out. 1 under the apex. which for a tall guy like me is always fun, now you have two more lines to deal with and trip over. 2: out the side. Now in your half-sleep bladder busting stooper you have to step over that cross point. You'd probably find me face planted in the mud having peed myself.

Interesting concept. To raftingtigger point this rigging will create bending moment in poles not designed for it.

Hammock
    banana-shaped
    Tarp
    greenish
    Insulation
    yes
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Quote Originally Posted by jeff-oh View Post
    Looks like a death trap for that 2:00am nature call.
    Idunno about death but pole contact noted among cons. :-)

Interesting concept. To raftingtigger point this rigging will create bending moment in poles not designed for it.
    I don’t see the design imparting bending moment, but the poles will come under more compressive force at their shallower angles than the normal setup, lowering the weight capacity before degree of bowing becomes worrisome. Not a problem for larger OD heavier steel conduit, but maybe with our aluminum...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    --

• + New Posts
  • Page 142 of 182 FirstFirst ... 4292132140141142143144152 ... LastLast