Hammock
    Ticket To The Moon
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Quilt
    Suspension
    Hammock Straps
    With all this talk I decided to go check out the site to see what has changed. I see that there is a new push-pin for the connector. Will it fit through the smaller holes of the first run of keyed tubing?

Hammock
    banana-shaped
    Tarp
    greenish
    Insulation
    yes
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Quote Originally Posted by LadyFaile View Post
    With all this talk I decided to go check out the site to see what has changed. I see that there is a new push-pin for the connector. Will it fit through the smaller holes of the first run of keyed tubing?
    Yes. New production (P3) matches hole size of first (P1).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    --
    Tensa Outdoor, LLC, maker of the Tensa4, Tensa Solo, and Tensa Trekking Treez hammock stands: http://tensaoutdoor.com/

So do you have a list of things you are trying to improve? in terms of documentation i dont care to much ill fiddle with it till i get it where I like it. Just wondering if you have any testing or planned upgrades in the near future that I might wait for. Just asking ahead of time xD

Hammock
    banana-shaped
    Tarp
    greenish
    Insulation
    yes
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Quote Originally Posted by OrangeLumberjack View Post
    So do you have a list of things you are trying to improve? in terms of documentation i dont care to much ill fiddle with it till i get it where I like it. Just wondering if you have any testing or planned upgrades in the near future that I might wait for. Just asking ahead of time xD
    Apart from documentation, we have no further changes to Tensa4 on the drawing board before next year, and those changes should be mostly invisible.

--
    Tensa Outdoor, LLC, maker of the Tensa4, Tensa Solo, and Tensa Trekking Treez hammock stands: http://tensaoutdoor.com/

Hammock
    WB Eldorado/DIY
    Tarp
    WB MiniFly/DIY 12'
    Insulation
    WB Wooki/HG Burrow
    Suspension
    DW Spider/Beetle
    Quote Originally Posted by SLG45 View Post
    Well, I know I was slightly befuddled the first time I used it. Now it is easy,but I'm still figuring out the best foot width and ridgeline length.

Some makers will give customers a heads up that version x is coming out soon, so they can decide if they want to wait, or just get it now. Others will slightly discount the older style to clear out inventory, and not let buyers feel like the old stuff got dumped on them to make way for the new. I think the last thing most people want is to buy something and then spend more money to get the current version, coupon code or not.

That is my take as a non business owner, but active consumer. As far as my personal take on the tensa, I don't know that it would matter that much for me, as I don't prefer to guy the head end anyway. I guess I could just use the guy line as my suspension, but then I'm carrying a much bigger heavier strap than my simple Beckett webbing. I will likely just make a permanent loop of the correct length (once I figure that out) and then add that to the bag of poles. I don't use the head hotline, but I cant see leaving it home either. Plus I bring my usual suspension too, incase I don't need the tensa.

Since none of this is for backpacking anyway, not sure how much it should matter to anyone.

ETA. Guy line, not hotline.
    I'm sorry to say, but I think you may be overthining it.

Since this was a big guy review thread ill keep it on topic of

for a big guy really any difference in the amteel vs straps, the price difference is making me ponder.

Hammock
    Dutch Wide 11', H.H.
    Tarp
    Superfly, Noah 12'
    Insulation
    Incubator 0, Jarbr
    Suspension
    Cinch Bugs
    Since this was a big guy review thread ill keep it on topic of

for a big guy really any difference in the amteel vs straps, the price difference is making me ponder.
    I am.a big guy @2 80lbs
    And used both without issue

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Hammock
    banana-shaped
    Tarp
    greenish
    Insulation
    yes
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Both will hold you fine by a large margin. In fact both are overkill strength-wise for the forces on the stand. Amsteel is just more overkill than webbing. The connectors are Amsteel in all cases because those do need the strength.

I think webbing is the most sensible choice most of the time from a functional point of view, and easy to use, especially now that our guylines have daisy-chain ends (and carabiners) that serve as hammock suspension, while Amsteel kits require you to use your own separate suspension. Get Amsteel if: a) you plan to order one or more Solo conversion kits for a backpacking option, and you are serious about minimizing weight, b) you want to borrow the UCRs as part of your regular lightweight tree suspension, c) you admire the visual and functional elegance of handmade-in-USA spliced Amsteel assemblies over nice but heavier and bulkier webbing assemblies sewn in China. More expensive does not always mean better: it just reflects our costs and the going rate for similar from other vendors.

Backstory: our first production included only Amsteel. Not only was it a pain for us to stably source and manage production in the quantity and quality needed (us, our family members, local scout troops, etc.), some users prefer the familiar simplicity of cinch buckles and webbing over "fiddly" UCRs, and webbing is much easier to source in volume at low cost. How much does saving a pound really matter in the context of a >12lb stand anyway? It's not an attractive backpacking option, so once we're talking motorized camping, or home use, webbing is a no-brainer from a practical POV.

So we made webbing the default, and Amsteel a cost-added option. Then we found a really good reliable Amsteel splicer (take a bow, S in FL), who helped us build inventory to where we weren't constantly running out. And then to our surprise people still ordered Amsteel in large numbers at a premium. It IS a lot lighter and less bulky, and clever, and sometimes that alone is worth the extra cost. Amsteel is prestigious and classy among hammock nerds. Webbing gets it done. Overseas buyers, who face high shipping costs, appreciate that the lower weight lowers those costs by a bit. That's all I've got.
    Last edited by Latherdome; 06-03-2020 at 13:12.
    --

Hammock
    Dutch Netless 11'
    Tarp
    Noah's Tarp 12
    Insulation
    UGQ Zeppelin 20*
    Suspension
    All the Dutchware!
    So if I were to order two guylines on the site now, would I get the new daisy chain webbing style, or the older version?

Hammock
    banana-shaped
    Tarp
    greenish
    Insulation
    yes
    Suspension
    disbelief

Tensa Outdoor and the commercial packable tensahedron stand

Quote Originally Posted by draco_1967 View Post
    So if I were to order two guylines on the site now, would I get the new daisy chain webbing style, or the older version?
    Daisy. We have small stock left of the old type that we ship only with Solo when ordered with webbing. Daisy adds no value to Solo.

--

• + New Posts
  • Page 149 of 182 FirstFirst ... 4999139147148149150151159 ... LastLast