WB Eldorado/DIY
    Tarp
    WB MiniFly/DIY 12'
    Insulation
    WB Wooki/HG Burrow
    Suspension
    DW Spider/Beetle
    Quote Originally Posted by KiwiMark View Post
    I think every motorcycle camper that uses a hammock should use this stand, it is the best motorcycle camping hammock stand by a very large margin IMO.

I'm also riding an Africa Twin and I read advrider forums too.

I've just returned to work today after 4 weeks holiday, 23 days of which I was off on a trip on my bike.
    Out-dang-standing!!I couldn't agree more. I've said it before, this stand is a HUGE improvement in motorcycle travel.

I have to tell you, I am very jealous of your 23 day trip. What a great way to spend time off.

Hammock
    DH Sparrow
    Tarp
    13' Winter Haven
    Insulation
    quilts
    Suspension
    Tensa4
    Quote Originally Posted by Misterk View Post
    Which tarp are you using? Sweet set up!
    https://www.simplylightdesigns.com/c...-4-season-tarp
    I have the 12' model, though I wonder if a 13' model would cover the Tensa stand better. I kinda think my tarp is too good to replace, but if it ever got damaged then I'd consider trying out a 13' one.

Quote Originally Posted by brutalguyracing View Post
    kiwi what size rei poles are they?
    The 6' ones are easily long enough and pack small enough.
    Last edited by KiwiMark; 02-18-2019 at 22:19.

Hammock
    DH Sparrow
    Tarp
    13' Winter Haven
    Insulation
    quilts
    Suspension
    Tensa4
    Quote Originally Posted by Crazytown3 View Post
    Out-dang-standing!!I couldn't agree more. I've said it before, this stand is a HUGE improvement in motorcycle travel.

I have to tell you, I am very jealous of your 23 day trip. What a great way to spend time off.
    It was good to get a 4-week break from work and I ensured I had 5 days at the end to relax at home before getting back to work.
    Over the 23 nights I spent 21 outdoors and 2 in cabins. In one cabin I set up my Tensa stand and in the other cabin it was trickier to work out where and how to set it up, so I tried sleeping on the bed. It was the first time I slept in something other than a hammock in over 3 years and it wasn't a very good sleep - hammocks are way more comfortable than beds.

I've made a short list of stuff to buy before next year's trip, but I now have my camping set up around 95% perfect. I'm considering buying a few new parts for the Tensa stand, like the toggle & loop connector assembly which I think is a little better than my current method. I'm also wondering if the webbing is better (easier/quicker/more reliable?) than the UCR lines I'm using now? The parts aren't overly expensive so I'm not against upgrading.

Hammock
    The cured intestines of my enemies
    Tarp
    Wing of bat
    Insulation
    Possum fur
    Suspension
    of disbelief
    How feasible is it to use a tree at the foot end, and half a Tensa4 at the head end?

The issue I foresee is that the base of the poles might slide toward the tree. How easy would that be to prevent? Would the orange screws with some guyline be enough to prevent this? What about ditching the orange screws and just running guyline from each pole base to the tarp stake on each side of the head-end of the tarp?

I haven't bought a Tensa4 yet, but am wondering about the possibility of splitting it in half so two people can hang from one tree.

Apologies if this has already been discussed...

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Sparrow : SLD
    Tarp
    HG : SLD
    Insulation
    HG : SLD : WB
    Quote Originally Posted by Baka Dasai View Post
    How feasible is it to use a tree at the foot end, and half a Tensa4 at the head end?

The issue I foresee is that the base of the poles might slide toward the tree. How easy would that be to prevent? Would the orange screws with some guyline be enough to prevent this? What about ditching the orange screws and just running guyline from each pole base to the tarp stake on each side of the head-end of the tarp?

I haven't bought a Tensa4 yet, but am wondering about the possibility of splitting it in half so two people can hang from one tree.

looks like you would need this to do what you are talking about: https://www.tensaoutdoor.com/product...onversion-kit/
    There's magic in the woods,
    if you know where to look for it.
    -Pete's Dragon

Hammock
    Tarp
    Wing of bat
    Insulation
    Possum fur
    Suspension
    of disbelief
    Quote Originally Posted by soul embrace View Post
    looks like you would need this to do what you are talking about: https://www.tensaoutdoor.com/product...onversion-kit/
    I'm reluctant to do it that way due to the need for strong anchoring with just one pole. I'm hoping to avoid needing strong anchoring.

Hammock
    Big Guy Bridge
    Tarp
    CRO Winter Haven
    Insulation
    JRB UQ, HG TQ
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckle 15'
    I'm reluctant to do it that way due to the need for strong anchoring with just one pole. I'm hoping to avoid needing strong anchoring.
    You certainly have that choice but the stresses on the guy lines are pretty high. The other single pole stands that I've seen use three stakes to anchor each guy line. The orange screws seem much simpler and more secure. If you get a Tensa 4 stand you could potentially have four separate poles (if you get the conversion kits) to hang your hammock along with three friends.

HYOH, but do it safely. You don't want to wake up on the ground because you didn't secure the guy lines properly.
    "God never sends us anything we can't handle. Sometimes I wish He didn't trust me so much." - Mother Teresa.

Hammock
    WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    RSBTR Winter Hex12
    Insulation
    DIY Wookie style
    Suspension
    Tensa4, Trekking
    Images

It has been done and if the tree is the foot end should not require much (if any) anchoring on the head end. The only issue is keeping the feet from slipping toward the feet on the 1/2 stand. If the strut feet are stuck into the ground or staked down it should work fine. There is a pretty shallow ground angle with the struts, so slippage is a real concern.

Now you have given us another experiment to do.
    Come check out the Tensa4 tensahedron stand and other hammock stands at http://www.TensaOutdoor.com and [email protected]

Hammock
    Tarp
    Wing of bat
    Insulation
    Possum fur
    Suspension
    of disbelief
    Quote Originally Posted by raftingtigger View Post
    It has been done and if the tree is the foot end should not require much (if any) anchoring on the head end. The only issue is keeping the feet from slipping toward the feet on the 1/2 stand. If the strut feet are stuck into the ground or staked down it should work fine. There is a pretty shallow ground angle with the struts, so slippage is a real concern.

Now you have given us another experiment to do.
    Thanks.

The "shallow ground angle" of the Tensa4 poles means the top of the head end poles don't need staking, but the problem gets transferred to the keeping the bottom of those poles from slipping along the ground. It seems some staking is needed one way or another. My naive intuition is that less force would be needed to keep the bottom of half a Tensa4 from slipping along the ground than the top of a No-Ground pole from falling. But I could be very wrong.

If anybody wants to experiment and report back, please do!

• + New Posts
  • Page 91 of 182 FirstFirst ... 41818990919293101141 ... LastLast