banana-shaped
    Tarp
    greenish
    Insulation
    yes
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Quote Originally Posted by Crazytown3 View Post
    The one facet I am having trouble with is getting my 12ft DIY tarp hang up. It's too long to connect directly to the poles, so I'm going to try hiking poles or something else. I'm going to get it working one way or another.
    At least one user pries the legs open far enough with a head tether to tension a 12' tarp. Reports no problems, but makes me a little nervous somehow. I just choke up any excess tarp length, twist and pull through the little V of the poles crossing at top, then wrap to tie off. Doesn't look super clean, seems to work OK.
    --
    Tensa Outdoor, LLC, maker of the Tensa4, Tensa Solo, and Tensa Trekking Treez hammock stands: http://tensaoutdoor.com/

Hammock
    WB Eldorado/DIY
    Tarp
    WB MiniFly/DIY 12'
    Insulation
    WB Wooki/HG Burrow
    Suspension
    DW Spider/Beetle
    Quote Originally Posted by Latherdome View Post
    At least one user pries the legs open far enough with a head tether to tension a 12' tarp. Reports no problems, but makes me a little nervous somehow. I just choke up any excess tarp length, twist and pull through the little V of the poles crossing at top, then wrap to tie off. Doesn't look super clean, seems to work OK.
    I went out in the backyard this afternoon, and experimented with several different configurations. I have a Dutchware continuous ridgeline with a Dutch Hook on one end, and a Dutch Wasp on the other. Just for the sake of trying, I tried tethering different ends to an orange screw, and the other end to a hiking pole. It worked, but not ideally.

The best configuration I came up with is I think what you are describing, just channeling the excess tarp through the 'V' at the top end of the poles. Here are some pictures of what I ended up with.

Foot end:

IMG_20180818_162923.jpg

Tethered to orange screw with dutch hook:

IMG_20180818_162938.jpg

Head end:

IMG_20180818_163004.jpg

Tethered to orange screw with Dutch Wasp:

IMG_20180818_163021.jpg

The whole sch-bang. Not perfect, but good proof of concept:

IMG_20180818_163034.jpg

Hard to see, but good coverage on head end:

IMG_20180818_163712.jpg

Decent coverage on foot end:

IMG_20180818_163727.jpg

Hammock
    WB Eldorado/DIY
    Tarp
    WB MiniFly/DIY 12'
    Insulation
    WB Wooki/HG Burrow
    Suspension
    DW Spider/Beetle
    After getting my tarp setup today, my personal opinion is that an 11ft tarp would probably be ideal for this stand, and a 10ft or shorter would work well also. A 12ft tarp seems just a hair too long, but still doable. I wouldn't count it out by any means.

Also, tethering the tarp separately at each end, say with Dutchware Tarp Flyz or similar, would work better than a continuous ridgeline. In my case I have the ridgeline on my hammock, the ridgeline on the stand, and then tarp ridgeline. It seems like way too many ridelines.

Hammock
    The cured intestines of my enemies
    Tarp
    Wing of bat
    Insulation
    Possum fur
    Suspension
    of disbelief
    We're tentatively trying for a wordless IKEA-style manual: just a few drawings in sequence. I think IKEA leaned that way to sidestep the translation burden, but it's also a powerful way to clarify and streamline the procedure, when you can't escape into the abstractions of language.
    Indeed. I once did a technical writing workshop where the attendees were separated into about 4 groups, and each were given an identical lego set to build. Unknown to us, each group got a different set of instructions. My group got instructions with all words, and no pictures. The other groups got a mixture of words and pictures, and one group got the original Lego instructions (which like Ikea instructions, have no words).

The No Words group got the lego built quickly. The No Pictures group (mine) never got it built at all. And the groups in the middle got it done in proportion to the amount of words - more words was slower.

As a technical writer it was a somewhat dispiriting lesson to learn.

My two cents; if it all possible, try to embed your instructions in the product itself, so users can't help but see the instructions as they're installing it. If that's impossible, having the instructions printed on a flap within the carry bag goes a long way to ensuring they're not easily lost.

My favourite bit of technical communication:

1*oh4w3uNzw9s2eV4CFhvWsg.jpg

Hammock
    Ticket To The Moon
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Quilt
    Suspension
    Hammock Straps
    Ah yes. I do remember seeing that tip about the figure 8 layout now. Just didn't sick in my poor tired head after the long drive to get here. Had to go with what I could visualize based on memory. We'll see if I can remember it next time! LOL!

Good news is that getting taco'd the first night didn't turn my son off of the stand and he's currently curled up in his hammock either asleep or very close to it. We got the weight on the head end and I think he'll be fine this time around. Not sure that there would be enough room in all hotel rooms to setup two of these stands, but thankfully we splurged for a bigger suite since we're staying with family and wanted be able to enjoy time together without being on top of eachother.

Time to head to hammock. I'm tired and we've got another busy day planned tomorrow. I'm so glad to be sleeping in my comfy hammock instead of an uncomfortable bed. My back thanks you!!!

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Shooting Tensa 4 video today....took one for the team as a demo.
    Shug-o

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    banana-shaped
    Tarp
    greenish
    Insulation
    yes
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    Shooting Tensa 4 video today....took one for the team as a demo.
    Shug-o

You’re HIRED!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    --
    Tensa Outdoor, LLC, maker of the Tensa4, Tensa Solo, and Tensa Trekking Treez hammock stands: http://tensaoutdoor.com/

Hammock
    Chameleon Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    KC Cat Tangle 12
    Insulation
    LLG CR, Wooki
    Suspension
    Whoopie & shackle
    You’re HIRED!
    He does his own stunts!

Hammock
    banana-shaped
    Tarp
    greenish
    Insulation
    yes
    Suspension
    disbelief
    I notice, Shug, that when the poles come down the apexes are offset, telling me you've been messing with asymmetric lays or partial extensions. Am I right? I did a lot of that early on but decided that for every problem they "solve" they seem to introduce others. Early prototypes had lots of holes for small adjustments, idea being that suspension could be unnecessary if the poles could just be shortened the right amount. But clearance problems multiply that way.
    --

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I notice, Shug, that when the poles come down the apexes are offset, telling me you've been messing with asymmetric lays or partial extensions. Am I right? I did a lot of that early on but decided that for every problem they "solve" they seem to introduce others. Early prototypes had lots of holes for small adjustments, idea being that suspension could be unnecessary if the poles could just be shortened the right amount. But clearance problems multiply that way.
    Lotta big words there!
    No, I thought I was setting it up as the instructions showed me.
    Maybe I goofed but it sure is working.
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

• + New Posts
  • Page 37 of 182 FirstFirst ... 2735363738394787137 ... LastLast