Tarp
    RSBTR Winter Hex12
    Insulation
    DIY Wookie style
    Suspension
    Tensa4, Trekking
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyroler Holzhacker View Post
    The burning question is why buy this instead of a tato stand if I am a car camper. I get why motor bikers would be interested, but as a car camper, I favor the design and utility of the Tato Hammock stand.
    It is really your choice. We have Beta testers that have Tato or Turtle Dog stands and they prefer the Tensa4. (and so do both Latherdome and myself - mine even broke down to Tato size and weight). But given that you have already bought a Tato I can't see why you would buy this in addition. The Tensa4 is lighter, smaller, and at least for now - less expensive, so really another choice.
    Come check out the Tensa4 tensahedron stand and other hammock stands at http://www.TensaOutdoor.com and [email protected]

Hammock
    WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    RSBTR Winter Hex12
    Insulation
    DIY Wookie style
    Suspension
    Tensa4, Trekking
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mychal View Post
    Well, if weight is no option, the old Hammeck stand was significantly more stable and quicker to set up than the Tato stand.

Why does it have be backpackers? Isn't a lighter stand kinda nice, too, even if Tyroler ain't diggin' it?

Heck, I've been on countless scout trips where we gotta hike into a camp site from our cars anywhere from several hundred feet to almost a mile. I L-O-V-E both my Hammeck stand and my Tato stand, but I'll tell you, with my gear all loaded up on my back, some of my young children's gear, and a stand, the weight difference is helpful. Even the Tato stand gets to be a drag after a while. An 11 lb stand is pretty cool.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
    Thanks, How about a 4 pound stand? TensaOutdoor will be offering a telescoping hammock pole (Tensa2) that needs 2 guylines per side. Actually that is currently for sale at TiggzCraftworkz.com as the telescoping CarCamp pole. The Tensa2 is a subset (mostly) of Tensa4 parts and we plan on offering small conversion kits (tarp extension and a different foot).
    Come check out the Tensa4 tensahedron stand and other hammock stands at http://www.TensaOutdoor.com and [email protected]

Hammock
    Hexon 1.6W 11'
    Tarp
    Hennessy hex
    Insulation
    Snugpack UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings

Tensa Outdoor and the commercial packable tensahedron stand

Question what is the length,width,and height of the stand when all setup? My hope is I could pack something like this when traveling for work and I stay in hotel rooms or when traveling to the in-laws that do not have a place for me to hang.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Hammock
    WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    RSBTR Winter Hex12
    Insulation
    DIY Wookie style
    Suspension
    Tensa4, Trekking
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by NWABYUCougar View Post
    Question what is the length,width,and height of the stand when all setup? My hope is I could pack something like this when traveling for work and I stay in hotel rooms or when traveling to the in-laws that do not have a place for me to hang.

One of our Beta testers has set theirs up in a hotel room. We have tried to design it for this type of use.

Hammock
    WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    RSBTR Winter Hex12
    Insulation
    DIY Wookie style
    Suspension
    Tensa4, Trekking
    Images
    I just posted pictures of my stand in use and with a tarp at my TiggzCraftworkz facebook page.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC, left lay
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG Inc and Burrow
    Suspension
    Ti Strap Anchors
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by raftingtigger View Post
    I just posted pictures of my stand in use and with a tarp at my TiggzCraftworkz facebook page.
    Any chance you can repost those pics here for those of us that don't have a FB account?

Edit: nevermind, i was able to see the pics without having to log in.
    Last edited by novasquid; 03-09-2018 at 18:43.

Hammock
    banana-shaped
    Tarp
    greenish
    Insulation
    yes
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Pros and cons of Tensa4 versus turtle-type stands including Tato, as I see them:

Pros:
    - Much smaller packed: airline carry-on luggage dimensions, easy bicycle/motorbike/kayak pack item.
    - Much smaller deployed; only 2 points about 5 feet apart are the footprint, so works, e.g., on top of a bed, in tight indoor spaces, barely bigger than the hammock itself.
    - Much lighter. Not backpacking light, but reconfigures into an ultralight form (Tensa2) that works if you have only one tree and/or can do strong ground anchoring.
    - Sets up easily on steep/narrow/uneven surfaces, say a staircase, fallen log, boulder field.
    - Can be moved easily while set up by one person
    - Full setup and breakdown time is a couple minutes, but instantly folds up to columnar form easy to stow (under the hotel bed so housekeeping doesn't freak?) and redeploy in seconds, with or without hammock attached
    - Encourages/enforces good hanging practice for gathered-end hammocks (~30°, head end a bit lower)

Cons:
    - Setting up and dialing in is more fiddly, with a (brief) learning curve
    - When set up tethered only on foot end, is less stable. Balance-based design and low weight means clumsy entry/exit can tip it quick. Boisterous kids, pets, drunk people: comedy gold
    - Not recommended for bridge or other spreader-bar hammocks. Can work, but more often not; not formally supported.
    - Requires at least one tether point able to hold about 40lbs line tension (much less than other stand designs that require ground staking), so not completely free-standing like turtle-type stands
    - Tato stand is rated to higher capacity than Tensa4

I welcome corrections on this comparison matrix: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing
    Last edited by Latherdome; 03-11-2018 at 00:18.

Hammock
    Hexon 1.6W 11'
    Tarp
    Hennessy hex
    Insulation
    Snugpack UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by raftingtigger View Post
    One of our Beta testers has set theirs up in a hotel room. We have tried to design it for this type of use.
    So I take it you don’t have the measurements?

Hammock
    Chameleon and a Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    UGQ WD 12'
    Insulation
    downy goodness
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Images
    What made you choose that price point? $300 as an intro offer? Tato is $325. Yours has less metal and a simpler design. Seems it should be less expensive. You might be shooting yourself in the foot with that price tbh.
    “I am losing precious days. I am degenerating into a machine for making money. I am learning nothing in this trivial world of men. I must break away and get out into the mountains to learn the news”
    ― John Muir

Hammock
    banana-shaped
    Tarp
    greenish
    Insulation
    yes
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Quote Originally Posted by NWABYUCougar View Post
    So I take it you don’t have the measurements?
    Exact setup dimensions vary, by design. Depends on length of hammock, desired seat height, required head and foot clearance for users of different heights. It's unusual to exceed 11' at the apexes. Width is likely to fall between 5 and 6 feet (the base). Apex height averages about 5.5', one end higher than other.
    Last edited by Latherdome; 03-09-2018 at 21:11.

• + New Posts
  • Page 5 of 182 FirstFirst ... 345671555105 ... LastLast