WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    RSBTR Winter Hex12
    Insulation
    DIY Wookie style
    Suspension
    Tensa4, Trekking
    Images
    If anyplace says "No hammocks allowed" just say the Tensa4 isn't a 'hammock', it is a tent on stilts.
    Come check out the Tensa4 tensahedron stand and other hammock stands at http://www.TensaOutdoor.com and [email protected]

Hammock
    banana-shaped
    Tarp
    greenish
    Insulation
    yes
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Quote Originally Posted by raftingtigger View Post
    If anyplace says "No hammocks allowed" just say the Tensa4 isn't a 'hammock', it is a tent on stilts.
    As I recall another possible objection to hammocks is that they don't provide the level of privacy of tents, leading to modesty breaches when changing, etc. Tarps below the knee required in some parts I understand, for lady campers anyway . Some civilians I've shown photos of the stand with winter tarp haven't understood that it's not just a tent though. Tent with sleeping loft!
    --
    Tensa Outdoor, LLC, maker of the Tensa4, Tensa Solo, and Tensa Trekking Treez hammock stands: http://tensaoutdoor.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Latherdome View Post
    That's really the germ of this whole thing. I live in Oregon. Generally lots of trees. But not always, especially east of the Cascades. I'm so completely over tents and even beds that traveling always carried a certain anxiety about whether or how well I'd be able to sleep. A 5% chance of not being able to find suitable trees quickly escalates to 50% of my brain cycles within 2 hours of sundown. Carrying 2 complete sleeping systems, ground and hammock based, is absurd: i travel mostly by bicycle where I can't just power through to a whole other ecotrope in 20 minutes. Even on a motorbike I'm relying on satellite photography to find trees in the Great Basin, which is cool and ridiculous at the same time. A miserable hotel stay in 2016 steeled my resolve to figure out a truly portable hang-anywhere solution. The first working prototype, now a year old, was truly ultralight in carbon fiber, but not viable as an affordable commercial product (yet). Tensa4 is the fruit of all this. Raftingtigger and I are pretty thrilled with the reception: what an adventure!
    Really like my new stand, thanks, I can’t believe how fast you guys got it to me.

I’m curious how you are attaching it to a bike.

Also, fwiw, I’d love a carbon version, even with a price premium.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Econ 0°
    Suspension
    Straps
    That's really the germ of this whole thing. I live in Oregon. Generally lots of trees. But not always, especially east of the Cascades. I'm so completely over tents and even beds that traveling always carried a certain anxiety about whether or how well I'd be able to sleep. A 5% chance of not being able to find suitable trees quickly escalates to 50% of my brain cycles within 2 hours of sundown. Carrying 2 complete sleeping systems, ground and hammock based, is absurd: i travel mostly by bicycle where I can't just power through to a whole other ecotrope in 20 minutes. Even on a motorbike I'm relying on satellite photography to find trees in the Great Basin, which is cool and ridiculous at the same time. A miserable hotel stay in 2016 steeled my resolve to figure out a truly portable hang-anywhere solution. The first working prototype, now a year old, was truly ultralight in carbon fiber, but not viable as an affordable commercial product (yet). Tensa4 is the fruit of all this. Raftingtigger and I are pretty thrilled with the reception: what an adventure!
    The thing that amazes me the most is how quickly you were able to put out such a refined end product! Not sure if you have previous product development, but very professional on every level.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Hammock
    banana-shaped
    Tarp
    greenish
    Insulation
    yes
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Quote Originally Posted by jsbar View Post
    I’m curious how you are attaching it to a bike.
    I have traveled only a few miles at a time by bicycle with the Tensa4. I just strap it to the top of my Brompton's front touring pannier. I consider it too heavy and bulky for my preferred ultralight style of bicycle touring. I would take a single side of the developmental Tensa Solo flavor for bicycle touring (or backpacking) in tree-insecure areas, using the bicycle and/or slope as opposite support when necessary. At age 51 I caved to the dark side of motor vehicle ownership: a 400cc scooter. Tensa4 fits fine any which way on that.
    --
    Tensa Outdoor, LLC, maker of the Tensa4, Tensa Solo, and Tensa Trekking Treez hammock stands: http://tensaoutdoor.com/

Hammock
    DIY ROBIC
    Tarp
    OES MacCat SilPoly
    Insulation
    down bag, Klymit
    Suspension
    Kevlar+Str.Anchors
    I have traveled only a few miles at a time by bicycle with the Tensa4. I just strap it to the top of my Brompton's front touring pannier.
    Heh, wow, being able to transport it via folding bike is a pretty good yardstick, though!

Hammock
    banana-shaped
    Tarp
    greenish
    Insulation
    yes
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Quote Originally Posted by KBr00ks View Post
    Heh, wow, being able to transport it via folding bike is a pretty good yardstick, though!
    Bromptons kick butt as mini cargo mules.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Latherdome; 09-28-2018 at 21:06.
    --

Hammock
    DIY ROBIC
    Tarp
    OES MacCat SilPoly
    Insulation
    down bag, Klymit
    Suspension
    Kevlar+Str.Anchors
    They sure are. A couple I know toured all over the world on their Bromptons -- made it way easier to make connections via train and air. (Probably also boat?) They even wrote a guide: Brompton Touring Guide

I got to spend some time on one and it was awesome! Though I nearly got it permanently wedged under a subway seat...

What bags are those in the second photo? Looks like possibly a Brompton bag in front, and a Brooks in back? Nice Brooks saddle and Ergon grips there, classic long-distance touring setup.

Hammock
    banana-shaped
    Tarp
    greenish
    Insulation
    yes
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Quote Originally Posted by KBr00ks View Post
    They sure are. A couple I know toured all over the world on their Bromptons --
    I know Russ & Laura; my bike shop was pleased to help support their journeys. I followed in some of their path on those bikes, as they sometimes followed mine. I rode down half the Pacific coast hammock camping on one in 2010, right after the bikes gained factory gearing adequate to loaded touring; Laura dropped news of their conversion in early 2011: http://www.pathlesspedaled.com/2011/...-small-wheels/.

It's a Brompton T bag up front, with 2 Carradice bags supplementing. I was packed for mountainous winter hammock camping: https://clevercycles.com/blog/2017/0...ins-in-spring/ . I had been dinking already for a couple months then with carbon fiber poles...
    Last edited by Latherdome; 09-29-2018 at 00:07.
    --

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Econ 0°
    Suspension
    Straps
    There was some conversation about anchoring it to doors. It got me thinking about anchoring in general like say to a car door, below is a link to an anchor I use for my kayak. I have not done it yet but I could see anchoring to the rear of my car or one of the doors using this...

https://www.amazon.com/Sherpak-07811...LJL&ref=plSrch

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

• + New Posts
  • Page 51 of 182 FirstFirst ... 41495051525361101151 ... LastLast