Page 177 of 182 FirstFirst ... 77127167175176177178179 ... LastLast
Results 1,761 to 1,770 of 1817
    I just returned from a river trip using the Tensa 4 for two nights on sandbars. I had some issues with sand getting in and locking up the joints of the poles. I wrote that up just now in a post called 'Tensa 4 and sand.'

In terms of cleanup afterwards, I would recommend more than just a water rinse. I found it difficult to remove all the fine sand particles with only the jet stream from a garden hose. I used a long handled bottle brush to dislodge find sand that was adhered by water tension to the inside of the tubes. I also had some soapy water handy to dip the bottle brush in. I don't really know if that made a difference, but the point was to weaken the water tension that enables the sand to stick to the pole's surface. With those steps, a stream of water from the hose was able to wash the sand away pretty cleanly.

If your question about treating the poles was still in relationship to sand, I would say, no, trying to lubricate the poles doesn't make sense to me. In the 'Tensa 4 and sand' post I referred to, I mention that I may wrap the joints with painters' tape the next time I camp with the Tensa 4 on sand to prevent sand from getting in.

You also asked about stakes. I used 12' orange screws on the sandbars. They worked fine; I had no concerns about the strength of the hold. (Of course, I only weigh 150 lbs.) The sand I was on was pretty firm a couple inches below the surface and a little moist, definitely not wet.

Quote Originally Posted by cougarmeat View Post
    A pole maintenance and stake holding questions .... I’ll be using the poles around sandy and sometimes gritty areas. Is there a preferred way of cleaning - or just rinse with clean water. I’m wondering if treating the poles with anythings - because of metal-on-metal friction, would make things operate smoothly WITHOUT coating your hands with gunk. Is rust protection and issue?
    With three choices of stakes - the 9” and 12” orange screws and the longer boomstakes, what is your experience/successes with each type in different types of soil; like boomstakes for grass, orange screws for sand? That type of thing.

Hammock
    trad cotton / yukon outfitters
    Tarp
    silnylon diy
    Insulation
    diy, a mix
    Suspension
    straps to becket
    Is there some hack to safely use deck anchors that don’t have the springs with the see-saw solution, so they don’t twist when not tensioned? Can I buy inexpensive springs to add myself (I live in Sweden)? Or should I just put the stand beside the deck to be about to use orange screws on both sides (and place the hammock beside the deck instead)?

Even with the springs, they'd have a tendency to move if the stand moves. Is there some spacing between your deck planks? I used a loop of paracord to go around the deck plank on each end of the stand, and that will be enough to keep your stand from teetering. Webbing could also be used (something like attaching a tree strap to the plank).

Hammock
    MTHL 11' w/wo net
    Tarp
    DIY Silnylon Rect
    Insulation
    DIY Costco Quilt
    Suspension
    MTHL 2in dyneema
    Images
    So I tried the Tensa4 out indoors for the first time and one of the poles bent on a corner. I repositioned things and slept the night fine. However, in the morning that pole was unable to fully collapse. I got it part way but now it's stuck in that position. Any suggestions about freeing (and hopefully fixing) it?

Hammock
    WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    RSBTR Winter Hex12
    Insulation
    DIY Wookie style
    Suspension
    Tensa4, Trekking
    Images
    We have replacement tubes in our Parts store. You can try gently bending it back. If it bent because you had a side load on it, it isn't a warranty issue, but Tensa Outdoor will work with you to get your stand back to full operation.

To remove the stuck pole just stick something down the outer part of the two stuck sections and gently tap. Once you have the bent part out, remove any feet on it and put it up against a straight wall or plate. You can see the bend well that way and try to remove the bend. Easiest solution is to replace the bent section ($12).

We can even probably find you a fully functioning "second" for less.
    Last edited by raftingtigger; 01-08-2023 at 11:39.
    Come check out the Tensa4 tensahedron stand and other hammock stands at http://www.TensaOutdoor.com and [email protected]

Hammock
    MTHL 11' w/wo net
    Tarp
    DIY Silnylon Rect
    Insulation
    DIY Costco Quilt
    Suspension
    MTHL 2in dyneema
    Images
    Thanks much raftingtigger, I'll give it a go and reach out if the pole can't be salvaged. Will likely pick up some of the accessories I've been eyeing to bundle shipping if/when I do.

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon Hexon 1.2
    Tarp
    UGQ Custom 11' Hex
    Insulation
    UGQ UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    SuperiorSuspension
    I just got my Trekking Treez as a single pole setup, with a couple of boomstakes and an couple of Peggy pegs. While I'm putting it together, I thought of something that I think could make it even better that I want to share. I don't have a 3d printer to try this, but I think making a hub which has a 17mm hex driver inside the screw-hub, and perhaps a reinforced horizontal hole in the center about the diameter of a tent stake or bookstake (less the boom) would allow the hub to be used to imitate the tube of the orange screw to drive it in/out of the ground. It would be a pretty nice feature and make the hub a multifunctional tool. This may also have the added benefit of giving the 17mm "wrench" a nice safe place to be stowed when not in use, which is nicely on the Trekking Treez pole where you can always find it.
    On the same vein, my immediate thought for the use of this was if the hub could be left attached to the Treez handle and used like a screwdriver to put a Peggy pegs into the ground, but I think that wouldn't work as well since one would need to use the pole, or part of the pole which they are trying to stake out. I mention this only because it's still an idea which could have some merit, but needs more thought to get right.
    Anyway, I am pretty happy so far and I think this would be a really cool enhancement.

EDIT:
    I decided to design this in Fusion 360 today since it seems like a simple enough part. I can upload STL or Fusion files if anyone wants them, but I haven't milled one on my CNC yet to know if this is actually going to work. I had to extend the hub 11mm higher to ensure the screw has at least 10.75mm of contact to match the screw hole depth current one I have. I am not sure what the notch on the top of the Trekking Treez hub is for, but it looks like it might be the size of adjustment latch, which could be an interesting place to clip it when not in use. See the link below for renders.
    https://imgur.com/a/bnvRA9A
    Last edited by FlyingAvocado; 01-30-2023 at 17:08.

Hammock
    WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    RSBTR Winter Hex12
    Insulation
    DIY Wookie style
    Suspension
    Tensa4, Trekking
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by FlyingAvocado View Post
    I just got my Trekking Treez as a single pole setup, with a couple of boomstakes and an couple of Peggy pegs. While I'm putting it together, I thought of something that I think could make it even better that I want to share. I don't have a 3d printer to try this, but I think making a hub which has a 17mm hex driver inside the screw-hub, and perhaps a reinforced horizontal hole in the center about the diameter of a tent stake or bookstake (less the boom) would allow the hub to be used to imitate the tube of the orange screw to drive it in/out of the ground. It would be a pretty nice feature and make the hub a multifunctional tool. This may also have the added benefit of giving the 17mm "wrench" a nice safe place to be stowed when not in use, which is nicely on the Trekking Treez pole where you can always find it.
    On the same vein, my immediate thought for the use of this was if the hub could be left attached to the Treez handle and used like a screwdriver to put a Peggy pegs into the ground, but I think that wouldn't work as well since one would need to use the pole, or part of the pole which they are trying to stake out. I mention this only because it's still an idea which could have some merit, but needs more thought to get right.
    Anyway, I am pretty happy so far and I think this would be a really cool enhancement.

EDIT:
    I decided to design this in Fusion 360 today since it seems like a simple enough part. I can upload STL or Fusion files if anyone wants them, but I haven't milled one on my CNC yet to know if this is actually going to work. I had to extend the hub 11mm higher to ensure the screw has at least 10.75mm of contact to match the screw hole depth current one I have. I am not sure what the notch on the top of the Trekking Treez hub is for, but it looks like it might be the size of adjustment latch, which could be an interesting place to clip it when not in use. See the link below for renders.
    https://imgur.com/a/bnvRA9A
    Interesting idea. It only is useful if you are using the Peggy Pegs but eliminates the secondary use of the Top Knob (and notch). The Top Knob is configured so that it sits on top of the upside-down trekking tip as a tarp protector and tarp centerline guide. The notches are to keep the tarp centered as it is run over the Top Knob. As usual, our parts development precedes our instructions.

- Raftingtigger
    Come check out the Tensa4 tensahedron stand and other hammock stands at http://www.TensaOutdoor.com and [email protected]

Hammock
    Tarp
    UGQ Custom 11' Hex
    Insulation
    UGQ UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    SuperiorSuspension
    Quote Originally Posted by raftingtigger View Post
    The Top Knob is configured so that it sits on top of the upside-down trekking tip as a tarp protector and tarp centerline guide. The notches are to keep the tarp centered as it is run over the Top Knob. As usual, our parts development precedes our instructions.
    Ah, interesting! I will have to try that, thank you.

Hammock
    Tarp
    UGQ Custom 11' Hex
    Insulation
    UGQ UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    SuperiorSuspension
    Fwiw, I had a prototype printed in ABS. I did a 100% in infill so the weight of the part is 23g vs the original 12g. There is plenty of little things I can tweak to improve the design as well as make it lighter. I haven't field tested it yet, but it works pretty good in the backyard.
    https://imgur.com/a/bpsy8oL
    Last edited by FlyingAvocado; 02-08-2023 at 17:59.

Hammock
    WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    RSBTR Winter Hex12
    Insulation
    DIY Wookie style
    Suspension
    Tensa4, Trekking
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by FlyingAvocado View Post
    Fwiw, I had a prototype printed in ABS. I did a 100% in infill so the weight of the part is 23g vs the original 12g. There is plenty of little things I can tweak to improve the design as well as make it lighter. I haven't field tested it yet, but it works pretty good in the backyard.
    https://imgur.com/a/bpsy8oL
    I'm sure it will work. However, most customers don't buy the Peggy Pegs (honestly they should) so changing the Top Knob to be a Peggy Peg wrench and losing the universal use as a Trekking Tip tarp protector doesn't make sense. Since you did get Peggy Pegs, in your case it does make more sense.

Re 3D printing. ABS is a difficult material to work with, but it does vapor smooth. This leaves a nice, polished finish that you don't get with PLA+, PEG, or TPU. It is also easier to glue the two halves together after I insert the nylon nut inside. The nylon nut gives a smoother and squarer thread than trying to print (or even tap) the thread.

• + New Posts
  • Page 177 of 182 FirstFirst ... 77127167175176177178179 ... LastLast