Hammock
    Ticket To The Moon
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Quilt
    Suspension
    Hammock Straps
    Some alternative ways of describing how to determine the suspension lengths.

a. Formula - e.g. (12' - length of hammock) / 2 = minimum suspension length at each end
    b. Subtract the length of your hammock from 12' to get minimum amount to be divided equally for use at each end of the hammock

Hammock
    WB Eldorado/DIY
    Tarp
    WB MiniFly/DIY 12'
    Insulation
    WB Wooki/HG Burrow
    Suspension
    DW Spider/Beetle
    Quote Originally Posted by Latherdome View Post
    The numbers get a little dense. Many times i was more terse because I’m working within 5.5x8.5” pages and keeping the breaks natural is hard.

Since we don’t expect users to need to measure things (or even know how long their hammocks are), would it be adequate just to say that hammocks shorter than 12’ will need some suspension on both sides, and to start with a forearm’s length?

We have recently switched webbing style to have daisy loops on the tops of the guylines, so you can use the tails of same as suspension, no need for separate.
    I think that actually sums it up pretty well, about as well as you can with what you are doing.

Hammock
    banana-shaped
    Tarp
    greenish
    Insulation
    yes
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Quote Originally Posted by LadyFaile View Post
    Some alternative ways of describing how to determine the suspension lengths.

a. Formula - e.g. (12' - length of hammock) / 2 = minimum suspension length at each end
    b. Subtract the length of your hammock from 12' to get minimum amount to be divided equally for use at each end of the hammock
    Amended to read: “Hammocks shorter than 12’ (3.7m) need enough suspension to make up the difference with 12. For example, a 10’ hammock will likely need at least 1’ of suspension per side.”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    --
    Tensa Outdoor, LLC, maker of the Tensa4, Tensa Solo, and Tensa Trekking Treez hammock stands: http://tensaoutdoor.com/

Well, it would be nice to have the new guylines, but since I guess I just missed them, I suppose I can just tie a loop in the line where I want it and use it that way. I've been using a webbing strap/Beckett hitch, but switching to biners and no extra suspension would be nice.

ETA, actually, that will not work. Now that I think about it.

Hammock
    banana-shaped
    Tarp
    greenish
    Insulation
    yes
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Quote Originally Posted by SLG45 View Post
    Well, it would be nice to have the new guylines, but since I guess I just missed them, I suppose I can just tie a loop in the line where I want it and use it that way. I've been using a webbing strap/Beckett hitch, but switching to biners and no extra suspension would be nice.
    It's a dilemma faced by all makers: when you update something, many who bought in the weeks or months prior feel burned. Maybe we could introduce a time-limited discount coupon for those wanting to swap in the newest stuff, who bought the older recently? In reality none of the new stuff is a game-changer for those who've learned how to use the old. It's mainly to help new users enjoy a shorter, shallower learning curve. We've long been sheepishly aware that first-time setup with our old (still shipping!) documentation and older components could be challenging to many people. When those people do figure it out, they feel a sense of accomplishment, when what we really want is to make everything easy without too much head-scratching or secret handshakes.

For example, not once have we ever explained in docs or on site what a UCR is or how to use it, and many order that more expensive variation for unclear reasons (the stand is like 12lbs, but maybe if you are also ordering Solo conversion kit weight matters). We do hear some accounts of slipping, and always wonder if "milk the bury" and "slippery half hitch" are concepts to introduce earlier. Should we try to explain what hardened hammock nerds may already understand, or just keep it all as clean and simple as possible? Thinking out loud here.
    Last edited by Latherdome; 06-02-2020 at 14:46.
    --
    Tensa Outdoor, LLC, maker of the Tensa4, Tensa Solo, and Tensa Trekking Treez hammock stands: http://tensaoutdoor.com/

Well, I know I was slightly befuddled the first time I used it. Now it is easy,but I'm still figuring out the best foot width and ridgeline length.

Some makers will give customers a heads up that version x is coming out soon, so they can decide if they want to wait, or just get it now. Others will slightly discount the older style to clear out inventory, and not let buyers feel like the old stuff got dumped on them to make way for the new. I think the last thing most people want is to buy something and then spend more money to get the current version, coupon code or not.

That is my take as a non business owner, but active consumer. As far as my personal take on the tensa, I don't know that it would matter that much for me, as I don't prefer to guy the head end anyway. I guess I could just use the guy line as my suspension, but then I'm carrying a much bigger heavier strap than my simple Beckett webbing. I will likely just make a permanent loop of the correct length (once I figure that out) and then add that to the bag of poles. I don't use the head hotline, but I cant see leaving it home either. Plus I bring my usual suspension too, incase I don't need the tensa.

Since none of this is for backpacking anyway, not sure how much it should matter to anyone.

ETA. Guy line, not hotline.

Hammock
    banana-shaped
    Tarp
    greenish
    Insulation
    yes
    Suspension
    disbelief

Tensa Outdoor and the commercial packable tensahedron stand

Quote Originally Posted by SLG45 View Post
    Some makers will give customers a heads up that version x is coming out soon, so they can decide if they want to wait, or just get it now. Others will slightly discount the older style to clear out inventory, and not let buyers feel like the old stuff got dumped on them to make way for the new. I think the last thing most people want is to buy something and then spend more money to get the current version, coupon code or not.
    In our case we've been rolling in new components incrementally for months. There wasn't some grand Version 3.0 to wait for. More like: silently introduce new feet. Next week new connectors ship from one of two locations. 2 weeks after that larger carry bags. A week later dropped the carabiners (because out of stock, but what kind of upgrade is it to drop something even if no longer necessary? ;-) This isn’t an actual timeline, but to give an idea. New webbing was only the latest of many small changes. Actually option of anchors is newest. You likely got most of those changes.

Drop us a line please if you feel you've been "dumped on!" We'll make it right.
    Last edited by Latherdome; 06-04-2020 at 18:48.
    --

Quote Originally Posted by Latherdome View Post
    In our case we've been rolling in new components incrementally for months. There wasn't some grand Version 3.0 to wait for. More like: silently introduce new feet. Next week new connectors ship from one of two locations. 2 weeks after that larger carry bags. A week later dropped the carabiners (because out of stock, but what kind of upgrade is it to drop something even if no longer necessary? ;-) New webbing was only the latest of many small changes. Actually option of anchors is newest. You likely got most of those changes.

Drop us a line please if you feel you've been "dumped on!" We'll make it right.
    I don't feel that way, that's why I separated my consumer (general, theoretical) thoughts from my tensa (specific to this situation) thoughts.

I am not very likely to use my tensa outdoors where there are no trees, as I prefer to camp near trees when backpacking, and I do very little car camping. I do travel a fair bit for work though, and the tensa let's me sleep well, even in a hotel room. Very happy with my purchase.

Hammock
    Dutch Wide 11', H.H.
    Tarp
    Superfly, Noah 12'
    Insulation
    Incubator 0, Jarbr
    Suspension
    Cinch Bugs
    You say you now have a larger bag for the tensa4
    Is that correct
    I am in need of a new bag

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Hammock
    banana-shaped
    Tarp
    greenish
    Insulation
    yes
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Quote Originally Posted by brutalguyracing View Post
    You say you now have a larger bag for the tensa4
    Is that correct
    I am in need of a new bag

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Correct. It’s a bit taller so can fit the stand and a full complement of accessories without strain. We sort of outgrew the first bag. Available in our Parts section.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    --

• + New Posts
  • Page 148 of 182 FirstFirst ... 4898138146147148149150158 ... LastLast