Hammock
    WBBBXLC single layer in Multicam
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    20* HG TQ/Wooki UQ
    Suspension
    Depends on the day
    I’ve got a question about the instructions for the stand. They refer to optional toggles that can be used to attach my hammock directly to the stand’s ridgeline, but I don’t see any additional hardware in the case. Are these toggles something else that we have to order separately? How do they work?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hammock
    banana-shaped
    Tarp
    greenish
    Insulation
    yes
    Suspension
    disbelief

Tensa Outdoor and the commercial packable tensahedron stand

Quote Originally Posted by benfishin View Post
    They refer to optional toggles that can be used to attach my hammock directly to the stand’s ridgeline, but I don’t see any additional hardware in the case. Are these toggles something else that we have to order separately? How do they work?
    Whoops! Missed that. These are a planned thing. In fact that might be too strong language: they've been an experimental thing we're not yet certain to proceed with. We can make toggles that are easy to adjust position on the ridgeline, or we can make toggles that don't seem likely to damage the ridgeline. But we're not yet sure we have a design that's a good compromise of both important features. For the time being, we suggest you use whatever adjustable suspension you've got connected directly to the apexes, looped over a pole end.

To satisfy your curiosity, there are photos of a late version of the toggles in post #538 of the Tensahedron Stand thread, not yet guaranteed to make production, done up rough from aluminum plate with a hacksaw, drill press, rough file whose proper name the forum software censors as referring to an illegitimate child, and wire wheel.

Codename: Squeats. You pass a bight of the ridgeline through the hole and around the end notches, then hang hammock from the hooks. The problems are that adjusting the position of the squeats requires completely de-tensioning the line, which is inconvenient, and we're not yet sure that the notches won't fray the line over time. You could literally tie a knot around most any toggle you trust on the ridgeline and hang from it to experience the same tradeoffs we're facing.
    Last edited by Latherdome; 04-02-2018 at 09:01.
    --
    Tensa Outdoor, LLC, maker of the Tensa4, Tensa Solo, and Tensa Trekking Treez hammock stands: http://tensaoutdoor.com/

Hammock
    Chameleon Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    KC Cat Tangle 12
    Insulation
    LLG CR, Wooki
    Suspension
    Whoopie & shackle

Tensa Outdoor and the commercial packable tensahedron stand

Sounds like a suspension-rated prussik, a soft shackle, or some hardware variation of those (like a NAMA claw, but stronger) could serve the purpose of a squeat without the downsides you're talking about?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    RSBTR Winter Hex12
    Insulation
    DIY Wookie style
    Suspension
    Tensa4, Trekking
    Images
    Another feature not shown in the instructions yet is the door hinge toggle. On the anchor guyline is a slice of tubing. That fits behind a door hinge and allows anchoring while still able to open and close the door. You can also use it as a regular toggle with the loop on the end of the guyline.

The stand currently comes with a small maintenance kit. This consists of a piece of scotchbrite for scratches, and some paste wax. The wax keeps things sliding smoothly.
    Come check out the Tensa4 tensahedron stand and other hammock stands at http://www.TensaOutdoor.com and [email protected]

Hammock
    banana-shaped
    Tarp
    greenish
    Insulation
    yes
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Quote Originally Posted by DeltaNu1142 View Post
    Sounds like a suspension-rated prussik, a soft shackle, or some hardware variation of those (like a NAMA claw, but stronger) could serve the purpose of a squeat without the downsides you're talking about?
    You get the idea, but easier said than done. Tell me more about this suspension-rated prussik :-) I've tried a few more turns: still slips. If it's tight enough not to slip (clove-hitched descender ring?), it's hard to adjust and/or liable to damage the Amsteel. Dutch withdrew his Speed Hook widget after its tendency to fray the line became clear. It's tricky. Meanwhile most people with hammocks already have adjustable suspension that works fine with the stand.
    --
    Tensa Outdoor, LLC, maker of the Tensa4, Tensa Solo, and Tensa Trekking Treez hammock stands: http://tensaoutdoor.com/

Hammock
    Chameleon Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    KC Cat Tangle 12
    Insulation
    LLG CR, Wooki
    Suspension
    Whoopie & shackle
    Ahh, hah, well, it sounded good in my head. Especially the soft shackle... but it sounds like grip is a big issue. And I'll bet something like a big NAMA claw would fray the ridgeline badly under a hanger's load.

I've tried a few more turns: still slips.
    Is the size of the prussik line smaller than the line it is attached to?
    In climbing we used small dia prussik to attach to large dia climbing rope. The different size was important for the grip.
    But, you probably already knew that.

Ken in NC
    I collect vintage camp stoves.
    I roast coffee at home.

Hammock
    banana-shaped
    Tarp
    greenish
    Insulation
    yes
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Quote Originally Posted by snwcmpr View Post
    Is the size of the prussik line smaller than the line it is attached to?
    No, but then you’re asking people to hang from zing-it or similar, no? Suppose we could go to 1/8” for ridgeline with 7/64” prussik, but i doubt that difference is enough.

--

I was just addressing the slippage.
    I let others write to long posts.

Ken in NC
    I collect vintage camp stoves.
    I roast coffee at home.

Hammock
    DIY 11' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    WINTERDREAM 11'
    Insulation
    EE TQ/HG UQ
    Suspension
    Straps
    I'm not sure if I missed this earlier in the thread, but are there any videos out yet of the assembly?

• + New Posts
  • Page 11 of 182 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161111 ... LastLast