WBXLC, WBBB, LiteOwl
    Tarp
    Superfly, MambaJam
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix, WL Sum
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images
    I’d recommend the book by Joe Miller “Backpacking North Carolina”. Lot of good weekend trips in there.

Linville Gorge
    Shining Rock (requires a bear canister)
    Wilson Creek
    Carvers Gap to 19E

I’ve got a number of vids on my YouTube channel of the NC area.

Hammock
    HG 10’ w/net
    Tarp
    Anything with door
    Insulation
    HQ 20*/40* UQ-TQ
    Suspension
    Tree straps to con
    Everyone is mentioning some good resources, but write off the apps and map services. I moved from Richmond, VA to Camden, NC a little over six years ago. From Richmond, i was just a couple hours from Shenandoah, GW and Jefferson National Forests. Now, other than Mill Pond and a couple areas near Raleigh/Durham area, i have to plan a 3-4 drive when looking for new places. That’s when I started looking into map services. Like “All Trails” and REI’s “Hiking Project”. The best two so far are Garmin “Earthmate” (free with an InReach) and “Avenza Maps”. Just a word of caution, make sure you qualify the trail or campground before you head out. Services like “All Trails” require participation from subscribers which means some of the trails are bogus. I grew up near Baggs Island and once found a trail i never knew existed on All Trails. When i went looking, the only thing i found was an old logging road that was 200 yards at the most.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hammock
    HG 10’ w/net
    Tarp
    Anything with door
    Insulation
    HQ 20*/40* UQ-TQ
    Suspension
    Tree straps to con
    I really have to proof my writing. DON’T write off the apps.....

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TallPaul View Post
    I’d recommend the book by Joe Miller “Backpacking North Carolina”. Lot of good weekend trips in there.

Linville Gorge
    Shining Rock (requires a bear canister)
    Wilson Creek
    Carvers Gap to 19E

I’ve got a number of vids on my YouTube channel of the NC area.
    Awesome, I'll check it out. Thanks!

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Need2noCallahan View Post
    Everyone is mentioning some good resources, but write off the apps and map services. I moved from Richmond, VA to Camden, NC a little over six years ago. From Richmond, i was just a couple hours from Shenandoah, GW and Jefferson National Forests. Now, other than Mill Pond and a couple areas near Raleigh/Durham area, i have to plan a 3-4 drive when looking for new places. That’s when I started looking into map services. Like “All Trails” and REI’s “Hiking Project”. The best two so far are Garmin “Earthmate” (free with an InReach) and “Avenza Maps”. Just a word of caution, make sure you qualify the trail or campground before you head out. Services like “All Trails” require participation from subscribers which means some of the trails are bogus. I grew up near Baggs Island and once found a trail i never knew existed on All Trails. When i went looking, the only thing i found was an old logging road that was 200 yards at the most.

Thanks! I've run into some of that with All Trails here in AZ too.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyroler Holzhacker View Post
    Just make sure they allow hammock hanging in Pisgah National Forest. I've heard that they don't allow that. HYOH though. For 2018 I am definitely going to invest in a hammock stand for such unfortunate car camping situations. I won't backpack camp in places that don't allow hammocks.
    That doesn't sound correct. Ive never seen a sign anywhere in 3 years...

Here are some cool places
    Panthertown valley.
    Grayson highlands is in va but very close to nc border
    Mt Mitchell area has some awesome and challenging terrain
    Black balsam knob/Tennent mtn

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Yes
    Tarp
    greenish grey
    Insulation
    greyish green
    Suspension
    Trees, duh.
    Images
    I'll echo Linville Gorge, Panthertown and Shining Rock (Art Loeb et al.) and throw in Standing Indian and Fires Creek Rim loops for hiking and hanging. They can even be combined via Chunky Gal for a big dogbone figure 8 hike. Unfortunately, they're both about as far away from Wilmington as you can get and still be in NC. If you're willing to swap your boots for a canoe the Lumber River offers some nice hammock friendly trips and is close(r). You've probably learned that our beautiful barrier islands make hammocking a challenge. If you like a little irony with your hang: Hammocks Beach State Park has 14 paddle in campsites. 2 of them are semi-hangable (12 & 14). If you're willing to include Lesser Carolina then Congaree is pretty awesome for paddle camping and hiking the Foothills Trail packs a lot in without being overly difficult.
    Genesis 16:12

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by seuss View Post
    I'll echo Linville Gorge, Panthertown and Shining Rock (Art Loeb et al.) and throw in Standing Indian and Fires Creek Rim loops for hiking and hanging. They can even be combined via Chunky Gal for a big dogbone figure 8 hike. Unfortunately, they're both about as far away from Wilmington as you can get and still be in NC. If you're willing to swap your boots for a canoe the Lumber River offers some nice hammock friendly trips and is close(r). You've probably learned that our beautiful barrier islands make hammocking a challenge. If you like a little irony with your hang: Hammocks Beach State Park has 14 paddle in campsites. 2 of them are semi-hangable (12 & 14). If you're willing to include Lesser Carolina then Congaree is pretty awesome for paddle camping and hiking the Foothills Trail packs a lot in without being overly difficult.
    Thanks! Great info. My family has a pretty decent kayak here so I may have to borrow that for some paddling trips.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234