DH Darien UL
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Whoopies

Tarp length question 10' x 8.6'

I'm looking to buy a new tarp that i can use for my hammock and for a ground dwelling. I currently have a HG standard tarp with doors thats great for a hammock but not both. The length of the tarp is kinda weird at 10' 8" but thats with a catenary cut so I think its actually an 11' tarp. I rock a 10 foot hammock so I have plenty of coverage. My question for the guys that still use 10' hammock would a 10' x 8.6' rectangle tarp give me enough coverage at about 10" of over hang on each end? Anyone out there with a set up like this? I would like to bend your ear about it.

Hammock
    Dutch 11 foot
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Diy uq phantom32
    Suspension
    Dutch speed hooks/
    Images
    I use a standard Mcat which is 10 feet in summer time with my 11 ft Dutch netless. It all depends on how hard the wind is blowing, if the rain is coming straight down just a couple inches of overhang is plenty, if the winds blowing the rain sideways it'll get you. If you're keeping the HG why not get a tarp specifically for ground-dwelling, or is having a dual purpose tarp just a contingency if you can't find trees? Also I'm curious as to why the HG can't be used as a good ground tarp? I've used my Super Fly with my bivy several times and it provided a huge amount of coverage,basically like a tent with no floor.

Hammock
    DH Darien UL
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by Carrico View Post
    If you're keeping the HG why not get a tarp specifically for ground-dwelling, or is having a dual purpose
    Carrico, Im looking for a tarp that is dual purpose. The 10 X 8 HMG tarp looks perfect for the ground and may be equally as good for a hammock. The HG tarp is great for a hammock but has a catenary cut along the ridgeline, the bottom of the doors and along the sides and that hurts the usefulness for ground pitching. The HG set up in a A-Frame style is great and yes plenty of room but is about the only pitch it can do. The A-frame is not always the best ground pitch so for me not the best option for a tarp. I'm mostly concerned with the shorter length of the tarp covering the hammock. I'm probably going to sell the HG and just have one tarp if it works well with both uses. Im guessing now thinking about it 8" is not very much of a loss. I should have asked, Does anyone use a HMG 10 x 8 tarp over their 10' hammock?

Hammock
    Dutch Netless
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear CF
    Insulation
    EE 20/30 Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I suppose it depends a lot on what kind of camping you do.

Are you going on 2-3 day trips or are you out for extended hikes?
    If the forecast is for bad weather will you still go?
    How far are you from an extraction point if you get surprised by a storm and get wet?

An 8x10 hammock with no doors is great choice in decent weather and will cover you in the event of a light rain in the air or on the ground. (A 10' hammock is quite a bit less than 10' at ridgeline after all - I have an 11' hammock and it's only 9'6" at the ridgeline.) If it's a bad storm though, you're going to get soaked. When the wind starts kicking hard rain will come in almost horizontally with the wind, so you need your tarp edges to get well below your UQ (or almost to the ground.) Doors are almost an essential as well: you may be able to get by without them if the rain is coming from a consistent direction, but I wouldn't bet my life on it if I'm out in the middle of nowhere and need to keep my sleeping gear dry.

Based on my intended applications, I am running a HG 10' CF Palace and feel very comfortable with it hanging or pitched on the ground. Your needs may vary.

Hammock
    DH Darien UL
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Hi Poiner, So I don't know how familiar you are with a standard flat tarp for hammocks. Before all the companies came out with a hammock specific tarp, there was nothing else but flat tarps. People learned what worked to battle the weather hence doors. From there it blossomed into tarps specifically made for one purpose. I guess what I'm trying to do is go back to basics so I can use it for anything I want. Your HG Palace is a great example of what I want (basic) just not as big. I took some pic of a 10"x8" piece of paper with tieouts like the HMG tarp, it should be about the same on a larger scale. I can have a very storm proof shelter as good as what I have now, with the 8 x 10 flat tarp. It' just going to be tight when it's closed up and thats why I started this thread to see if the 10 foot length will work.
    IMG_9384.jpgIMG_9385.jpgIMG_9387.jpgIMG_9389.jpg

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D
    With your 10 foot hammock, wouldn't your hammock ridgeline be about 8 feet 4 inches.
    That would give you about 10 inches overhang on both ends of hammock--assuming it's perfectly centered.
    My math might be off--I was smartest kid in third grade two years in a row.

I think I remember a truism posted here a long time ago
    11 foot hammock with 11 foot tarp OK

So maybe your 10 foot hammock will be OK with a 10 foot tarp

I'm guessing here---my hammock is 12x6 and tarp is 13 ridgeline by 12
    Phantom scared of my own shadow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Dutch Netless
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear CF
    Insulation
    EE 20/30 Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    An 8x10 just isn't long enough to cover the bottom of the hammock for me, even when pitched tight. Here's the math from my set up:

Length of ridgeline = 110"
    Length of hammock = 132"

Some basic geometry gives me a maximum vertical drop of abut 36" (sqrt(66^2-55^2)) at the bottom of the hammock (in practice it will be a little less because the hammock isn't a triangle, but it's not a bad approximation since an underquilt will hang a couple of inches below that.)

An 8x10 tarp extends 48" on each side. You can't get a 10' tarp right up against the ridgeline though because the hammock straps are in the way. Realistically you need to hang it a bit above the ridgeline (say 4".) So if I need to extend the coverage of the hammock to at least the bottom of my hammock I want it to cover a minimum of 40" vertically. (Personally, I would want it to extend several inches below the bottom of the quilt. ) This means that you would have to pitch the tarp no further than 26.5" from the enter line of the tarp (sqrt (48^2-40^2)) just to get it even with the bottom of the hammock. Can you pitch a tarp that tight? Maybe, but it will be tight. Especially if you try to fold in the doors.

There are other alternatives though! If you really want an 8x10 tarp and are still worried about bad weather you can use a hammock sock. For a while I ran a Dutch summer sock with a smaller tarp and that worked just fine in bad weather because the sock protects the quilts.

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D
    If you have to use a smaller tarp----
    Maybe hang tarp on hammock ridgeline and attach to hammock suspension.
    For me---I gotta have a large tarp
    13x12 cuben. Light weight expensive and bulky. HYOH

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D
    And you can pitch tarp diagonally--from opposite corners--like a diamond---
    Or you might choose a larger tarp for better coverage in wind and ☔️ rain
    Until then supplement tarp with a poncho on ends.
    And there is a certain satisfaction in pushing the envelope and doing the most with lightest weight and or least co$t
    Good luck

• + New Posts