Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Need help finding a TQ

So, I’ve been a mummy bag guy for a while. Even after converting to hammocks, I still like my mummy bags (makes putting clothes back on in the morning less chilly). However, my current 0* setup is far too bulky. I need something that packs smaller. I figured this would be a good point to get a TQ.

So, here is what I’m looking for:
    - Smallest pack size possible
    - 0* Comfort rating (I sleep very warm!)
    - Drawstring w/ cord lock @ shoulders
    - <= $300
    - Not all that important, but if I can get something that allows me to stick my feet out, that would be awesome! (My feet are always too hot)
    - I don’t care if it’s synthetic or down. It’s my understanding that down packs smaller, but if that isn’t the case, I’ll happily get synthetic.

So, I’ve been looking at different vendors, and several don’t list pack size, so I’m hoping to get suggestions on where to look.

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    Down definitely packs down a lot smaller. I would recommend checking out LocoLibregear, Hammock Gear, warbonnetoutdoors, and Under Ground Quilts for high quality quilts that will keep you warm. You will want to get the foot box that ties, or snaps if you want to open it up and poke the feet out.

Hammock
    DIY TCF Sage Green
    Tarp
    Noah's Tarp 12x12
    Insulation
    MAMW TQ, UGQ UQ
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopies
    Images
    I haven't ever seen a quilt with a drawstring/cordlock on the shoulders. That may need to be a custom item, whoever you order from.

Down definitely packs smaller (compresses more) than synthetic insulation.

The size of a zero degree quilt won't greatly vary from vendor to vendor, all things being equal. It takes a certain amount of down to get a quilt to that rating. One thing you can do to reduce bulk is increase the down's fill power, but that will also increase price.

Trailslug gave a good list of vendors. You might also reach out to Jared at Mid-Atlantic Mountain Works for your custom request. Enlightened Equipment is also a respected quilt maker. Good luck.

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    John,
    I believe most top quilts come with this now. My LocoLibreGear comes with a snap that allows you to snap the quilt around your neck and a draw cord to cinch it tight.

Hammock
    ridgerunner
    Tarp
    superfly
    Suspension
    buckles
    You forget to mention dimensions required since prices can go up or down....

TrailSlug has covered most vendors. Enlightened Equipment and Zpacks also carry down quilts, but Zpacks 900-fill down comes at a premium for added weight reduction.

Hammock
    Townsend Bridge
    Tarp
    Homemade Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ TR Pad
    Suspension
    Dogbones-Mule Tape
    Great list going here...Arrowhead Equipment, add that one...synthetic.

Down will pack down better and that will be a serious consideration when getting down to 0*.

One other consideration that you hadn't mentioned is wait time. A lot of the cottage vendors will have a wait--for instance, I ordered a UGQ Underquilt on Black Friday-ish and don't expect to see it until next month, January. It is worth the wait for me but wanted you to keep that in mind.

Arrowhead TQs are ready to roll, order them tomorrow, and get it next week. Loco Libre has synthetic, too.

If you can wait and afford it? Down is the better way to go when getting to the lower temps, I think.

A quick look, here's what I see:
    Loco Libre 0* Serreno TQ = $254 (downtek water repellent down, 8 week lead time)
    Loco Libre 0* Ghost Pepper 0* TQ = $314 (over budget, downtek water repellent down, 8 week lead time)
    Loco Libre Synthetic Quilts -- many options to choose from but has a 12 week lead time
    Hammock Gear Burrow 0* TQ = $279 (850 fill power, water-resistant goose down, 5-6 week lead time)
    Hammock Gear Burrown 0* Econ TQ = $180 (800 fill power, water-resistant duck down, 5-6 week lead time)
    Note: I have had great luck with the Econ with duck down, just not quite as packable as goose to get the same loft, but will be a LOT more packable then synthetic
    UQG Bandit -- lots of options to choose, I picked a few and looked like you could stay inside budget, not sure the lead time, but I expect 5-6 weeks
    Arrowhead White Cloud TQ 0* = $220 (synthetic, the lead time from Paul is usually pretty short, 2-4 days on the homepage)

Those are a few...there are other options, other companies, too. Don't be intimidated by all the options...have fun looking around a bit and make notes.

Thanks for the information. Keep it coming.

Quote Originally Posted by W8lkinUSA View Post
    You forget to mention dimensions required since prices can go up or down....
    Good point. I am 6’1” and ~190lbs. I’m not a very big guy. I’ve always bought the “standard size” gear, and it’s always fit.

Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB UQ of season
    Images
    Jacks R Better has started its "Last Chance Sale" the High Sierra Sniveller Long, rated to zero-5* in 800 FP GGD... Under your budget at $289.95 and meets all your parameters.

Best part ... They are in Stock for immediate shipping.

Pan
    Ounces to Grams.

www.jacksrbetter.com ... Largest supplier of camping quilts and under quilts...Home of the Original Nest Under Quilt, and Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock. 800 595 0413

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I will offer this up for some insight....
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Half-wit (3 season), Chameleon (win
    Tarp
    Superfly, Thunderf
    Insulation
    EE Revelation 20*,
    Suspension
    Whoopie!
    Quote Originally Posted by TrailSlug View Post
    John,
    I believe most top quilts come with this now. My LocoLibreGear comes with a snap that allows you to snap the quilt around your neck and a draw cord to cinch it tight.
    Ditto on my Revelation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast