Hammock
    Hennesy Deep Jungle XL
    Tarp
    Hennesy Hex

Just got a deep jungle yam xl zip!!!!

Hello all,
    Just ordered my new Hennessy hammock. I chose the deep jungle xl zip.
    I'm upgrading from an ENO double nest.

Got the double bottom so I can put t pad in between.

Already learned and practicing th "Hennessy knot" to attach my hammock.

I'm so psyched, as I and some friends of mine have decided that we won't ever "go to ground" again. Just too comfortable hanging. 😃

Anyway, looking forward to learning more and would love to hear any thoughts/tips, etc.

Kckirwan2

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    JacksRBetr 12 x 10
    Insulation
    JRB 20deg set
    Suspension
    Straps & Whoopies
    A few things I learned from hanging my Expedition Zip:

With the diamond tarp attached to the hammock suspension, you get some "tarp sag" when you get in the hammock. Not a big deal, and I just hang my camp shoes from the little ring on the tarp corner right near the entrance. Tarp tensioned, and my shoes are easy to find. They also get washed if it rains, so YMMV. Hennesey also sells water collectors that hang from that ring and attach to a water bottle, if you want to collect water while you tension the tarp.

Hennesey suggests hanging their hammocks pretty tight. Some prefer it that way, but enough slack for a more or less 30 degree hang suits me better. I find the hammock more comfy, I get way less tarp sag, and it puts less strain on the suspension and trees.

Sometimes you find trees that are just the wrong diameter for your straps: Wrap it once and the ends meet a ridiculous distance from the tree, but just a bit too short to wrap twice. I wrap once and put one end through the loop in the other, then I tie a Marlinspike hitch http://www.animatedknots.com/marlinspike/ in the strap as close to the tree as I want and make the "Hennesey Knot" around that. Very important that the hennesey knot goes around the knot, NOT the toggle. I got a pair of fancy titanium toggles from Dutch, but I've used a stick or a tent stake before.

Also, the elastics outside the hammock get staked to a tent stake to keep the bugnet taught. I clip both ends to the ring on the hammock and wrap the doubled elastics around a tent stake. The elastic inside on the Right hand side is for tying the bugnet back when you unzip it and there are little rings inside the "peaks" on either end in case you want to tie some kind of peak bag off.

Hammock
    DH Darien / WBBB
    Tarp
    HEX Asym / Minifly
    Insulation
    HG Econ 40
    Suspension
    Beetle/ Cinch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by JPCPAT View Post
    Very important that the hennesey knot goes around the knot, NOT the toggle.
    That's right, mate !! On the knot, not on the toggle. :-):-)
    I didn't give any tarp sag, I use shock cord on the tie outs and hang it aiming the 30 degrees thing. Works like a charm!
    I like the tips you give us, I'm a newbie too and have been learning a bunch from this wonderful forums.

Congrats kckirwan2 !! I'm sure you will enjoy your new hammock.

Hammock
    HH Deep Jungle XL
    Tarp
    HH Hex Sym
    Insulation
    Klymit Luxe
    Suspension
    Trying all of them
    Images
    Hey, I just got a deep jungle zip as well! Spent the last two nights in it. The P.O. converted mine to continuous loops and daisy chains with ‘beaners. Thinking about going to whoopie slings. I find mine to be very comfortable. Way roomier than my eno. I got the double bottom ‘cause SC got some skeeters. Have you spent the night in it yet?

Hammock
    Hennesy Deep Jungle XL
    Tarp
    Hennesy Hex
    Actually just got a chance to set it up for the first time today to practice. Maybe I'm just a noob, but still trying to figure out the right way to figure out how to lay in it. Should my head be closest to the bug net, or my feet? I understand the the asymmetrical design of the hammock is to allow for an easier sideways lie.

Gonna need a little more practice with the setup to feel really comfortable setting it up, but that's what practice is for I guess.

I need to find a night that isn't in the teens to try this out for the first time.

Any other tips that you have for a "Hennesy Noob" would be greatly appreciated !

Thanks

Kckirwan2

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    JacksRBetr 12 x 10
    Insulation
    JRB 20deg set
    Suspension
    Straps & Whoopies
    Head goes left, & winds up closer to the side with the zipper. The elastic that holds the bugnet out winds up somewhere between your shoulder and elbow usually. How far sideways you want to lay is very definitely a HYOH thing.

Quote Originally Posted by kckirwan2 View Post
    Actually just got a chance to set it up for the first time today to practice. Maybe I'm just a noob, but still trying to figure out the right way to figure out how to lay in it. Should my head be closest to the bug net, or my feet? I understand the the asymmetrical design of the hammock is to allow for an easier sideways lie.

Gonna need a little more practice with the setup to feel really comfortable setting it up, but that's what practice is for I guess.

I need to find a night that isn't in the teens to try this out for the first time.

Any other tips that you have for a "Hennesy Noob" would be greatly appreciated !

Thanks

Kckirwan2

• + New Posts