Dutchware Netless - for now
    Tarp
    Xenon Winter
    Insulation
    Incubator & Burrow
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles

Need help taking it to the next level

I’ve been reading the forums for a few months and have really found them helpful. However, I need to “introduce” myself…and ask for some advice from the more experienced.

My introduction to hammock camping was at scout camp this summer. I borrowed a Hennessy but didn’t really know what it was all about so probably didn’t enjoy the experience as much as I would now. Basically decided hammock camping looked cool, should be less weight than a tent and since I found it to be no more uncomfortable than tenting, I converted.

Since then I’ve hung about 2 or 3 dozen times - back yard, scouting events, etc. Each time I keep expecting to experience the “bliss” I hear/read others talking about….but, I’m “no more uncomfortable than tenting.”

I’ve made some adjustments thanks to Shug’s videos (bye bye calf ridge), the Ultimate Hang (a 30 degree angle DOES matter), Dutch’s cool bling (continuous loops are the bomb), and other sources. But nirvana escapes me. I feel squeezed. I tend to wind up back in the banana even though I start out on the diagonal. I feel like I’d have to flop over the sides to be able to really stretch out (and I am a back sleeper normally.) So, I’m starting to think I need to upgrade some equipment…but I’d like to hear others’ opinions.

I’m an average guy. No. Really. Average. Look it up - 5’ 10”, 160lbs, size 9.5 shoe. My hammock is from Woot so….admittedly not the Hennessy of my first night hanging. But it works and the price was right. It’s 10’ long and just under 5’ wide. I use continuous loops binered to daisy chain webbing. I have a Costco DIY UQ which I pair with my 25 degree sleeping bag when it gets really cool - and I’ve been very toasty. Got a bug net (integrated with the hammock) as well as a diamond-shaped tarp (again, came with the hammock).

Assuming that I would BUY (I know, a DIY hammock is not hard), I want to spend my money wisely. Thus I’d like your opinions. I’d hate to drop $200+ on a Chameleon or War Bonnet or some other “name brand” only to find that the bliss I seek is still elusive. (unless someone knows where I could borrow/rent a hammock for a test drive before committing….).

So thoughts? Longer? Wider? Different/better materials? (Sorry, I’m ruling out a bridge hammock right now….too much “stuff”.) I just want to hear different points of view as to how I might get this to be “way MORE comfortable than tenting.”

Thank you!

Hammock
    XLC/SLD 11' Tree Runner/BB
    Tarp
    WB MiniFly/SLD WH
    Insulation
    Jacks 'R' Better
    Suspension
    MyersTech/Dyneema
    Images
    Most here will tell you start with a 11' hammock.
    Fabric is personal.
    I like the single layer Warbonnet XLC and the 1.9 Ripstop (70D Nylon).
    "...in Florida, she felt air conditioning for the first time, and it was cold and unnatural upon her skin."

Hammock
    DIY TCF Sage Green
    Tarp
    Noah's Tarp 12x12
    Insulation
    MAMW TQ, UGQ UQ
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopies
    Images
    The thing is, no one is YOU. I'm also 5'10", but I weigh more than you, 240ish. I sleep great in my ENO DN 9'4" hammock. Sleeping down the middle like a banana doesn't bother me at all.

From everything you've written, it really sounds like your best choices are to A. try a bridge hammock, which you ruled out, or B. go back to ground sleeping. I'm not sure getting an extra few inches of hammock (from 10'5" to 11') is going to make that big a difference for you.

If you really want to try it, get a simple netless 11' hammock from any of the vendors here. They're usually $30-40. Then you'll know for sure. If that does work then you can figure out if you want to stick with it, or upgrade to a WBBB, Chameleon or one of Dream Hammock's offerings, just to name a few of the "bells and whistles" offerings.

Everyone is different, and hammocks aren't for everyone. Good luck finding out if they're for you!

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I think a simple, gathered-end 11' hammock is a great starting point (a Dutch netless, for example, currently on sale for $30). You can lay either way (head left - feet right or head-right, feet left), whereas most hammocks with integrated bugnets make you choose your orientation. The Dutch Netless is long enough and wide enough for you, as well. When you need a bugnet, you can add a Fronkey bottom-entry bugnet or a Buttinasling Buginator, NanoBuginator or NanoBuginator SUL.

I personally prefer hammocks without integrated bugnets - zippers just drive me crazy. I recently won a Dutchware Chameleon at a raffle, and it is a very nice hammock. You can lay either way, you can replace the bugnet with a topcover, or you can remove the bugnet/topcover entirely (no zippers!). Dutch is always coming out with accessories like peak bags, ridgeline organizers, side pouches, etc., for the Chameleon. It's a beautiful, top-of-the-line hammock, with all the bells and whistles. However, I'm not sure I'd recommend it as a first-time hammock. I'd stick with a simple, gathered-end netless hammock until I knew which way I wanted to go.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    Half-wit (3 season), Chameleon (win
    Tarp
    Superfly, Thunderf
    Insulation
    EE Revelation 20*,
    Suspension
    Whoopie!
    As another relative newby, I’m learning how important fabric type can play a role. I started with a HH as well and never could get a really great lay. Then I had a chance to lay in a Dutch 1.0 Hexon: what a difference!

In my search, I found that since I already know I prefer a soft bed, the stretchier fabrics work best for me as well.
    So I would call up a couple of the vendors and let them know which fabrics might best match up with the mattress firmness you prefer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    You really shouldn't discount any hammocks at this point and I'm not sure what you mean by to much "stuff" on a bridge. These are the most simple hammock style to hang an under quilt on which is the source of a lot of discontentment with gathered end styles. It may take buying and selling several hammocks to find the one that matches your comfort and style. My suggestion would be to buy main stream hammocks and if you do not like them you can sell them here for little "rental" loss. There's also group hangs that may help (or confuse) determine which hammock to choose. Bottom line in this hobby is tough at first but once you find that "just right" gear it's oh so comfortable.

Hammock
    Hybrid 1.7 GE, Happy Medium Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Xenon Winter
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    All of them! Ugh.
    Images
    At 5'4" I can't get comfortable in anything less than 11', but I have ankle, knee, back and shoulder issues. That 12" from 10' to 11' makes a yuuge difference to both myself and my wife.

As others pointed out, fabric stretch can also make a significant difference. For starters, I would suggest a mid weight fabric till you get your bearings.

Silvr gave good advice, keep it simple till you find what suits you.

Also always good advice is going to group hangs to try stuff out. Keep in mind that jumping in and out of hammocks is not the same as spending a few consecutive nights in them, but it's better than just spit-balling.
    Last edited by sqidmark; 12-17-2017 at 21:47.

Hammock
    SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images
    All the expensive hammocks are basically netless ones with a net built on, and perhaps some other features that really aren't related to the lay and comfort. I would suggest moving through a few of the less expensive models in different sizes to get a feel for what really suits you.

I knew immediately the following a.m. that a hammock was going to be what I would use to camp in going forward. If you don't feel that, it just might not be the thing for you. OR, it may be that you'll never have the "bliss" that folks talk about, but at the very least you can learn all about the minutia that can be used to get a "better lay" if you make the decision to stick with hammocks anyway.

One of the best things for me has been trying out hammocks and then selling them here when I determined they weren't quite the right thing for me. You should keep that in mind in terms of what you buy. Keep checking out the For Sale forum and buy something there. It might seem like prices are a minor discount for a used product, but that only means your "cost" for trying it out will be low (when you go to sell it if you do).

For what its worth, I'm 5'10" also and was 160 at one point (not saying when)... I've been doing this a while and have settled on a netless gathered end single layer hammock 10.5' long x 65" wide in 1.1 ripstop fabric. That's a hard find. I happened upon one I bought here used, done by a member DIY. Didn't intentionally pick that size, was just a very light hammock and the right price at the time. Been through some hammocks since and this is the one I've always come back to - including Blackbird and RR. Yeah, I wouldn't have tried those other hammocks if the one I had was pure bliss, but each hammock I've owned would've been fine in its own right if I was forced to keep it, and only it. I just realized by trying other stuff what was right for me. Not the most efficient way, and its why I say start by trying less expensive hammocks in different sizes.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Hammock
    Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Mountainfly
    Insulation
    Loco Libre / Exped
    Suspension
    Straps & Buckles
    I would seriously consider going to a local hang (Northeast forum here) and see if you can try out a few different models of hammocks. That's a lot easier than buying multiple kinds and then trying to resell them later, IMO.

I'm also not sure what you mean by bridge hammocks having 'too much stuff'. It's a hammock with poles. And my Ridgerunner doesn't have a separate ridgeline, separate bugnet, separate storage areas/bags or anything like that - it's all integrated. IMO, the hang angle is more forgiving and the lay is flatter and more roomy (I sleep on my side.)

I would definitely see if you could get out and test drive a few 'name brand' hammocks, including some non-gathered end styles like bridges or 90* setups.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair(s)
    Tarp
    SLD & Mtn. Fly
    Insulation
    HG 0,20,40 UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies & webbing
    I sleep fine in my HH explorer but I find my SLD Trail Lair to be even more comfortable. There is More room and less of a confined feeling. The Trail Lair is 11 foot and fairly wide. I too start off on the diagonal and occasionally get bananed by both but the TL feels consistently better and I stay on the diagonal more often YMMV but as others have stated try some different types and sizes and you’ll find what fits you best.

JD

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast