Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images

UQ not working on 11’er

Help!! I’m out in the woods on my second night trying to get my under quilt to fit on my new Dutch 11 foot Hammmock. I’ve been using this under quilt for years just fine on 10 foot hammocks but I suffered through last night BAD. 20°UQ give me a cold butt at just 27°. I run into some problems now and then over the past six years but nothing like this.

@$;/)@“!!! Things never go my way. I’m about to just give up and head home.

Anyone notice issues when switching hammock length?

Hammock
    SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images
    No, its just you and that iron deficiency!

Seriously, though, no I haven't experienced that. I go back and forth between a 11' and 10.5' with no issues.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Hammock
    XLC/SLD 11' Tree Runner/BB
    Tarp
    WB MiniFly/SLD WH
    Insulation
    Jacks 'R' Better
    Suspension
    MyersTech/Dyneema
    Images
    Is there wind involved?
    "...in Florida, she felt air conditioning for the first time, and it was cold and unnatural upon her skin."

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    I definitely considered my recent “coldness”, but it seems like everything is working as usual except my butt and few inches of my back is freezing. Very frustrating. It’s like the first two years of hanging went pretty smooth, then now it’s always some issue I’m dealing with. I’m sitting in the hammock sideways now cooking and it’s fine. Maybe I’ll have to sleep sitting up!

Hammock
    11' Dutchware 1.6 hexon
    Tarp
    12' UGQ WD marpat
    Insulation
    3S Yeti & 0+2 HG I
    Suspension
    Buckles
    I ran into the same problem on the Midwest Backpackers Fall Colors trip this year with my usually reliable yeti. I had an UQP but the wind was pretty fierce. I woke up with my teeth chattering. I threw on my thermal hoody and was toasty after that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Tarps
    Insulation
    Leigh's UQ's
    Images
    The UQ is not sealing to hammock probably due to a channel formed on the longer and maybe wider hammock? Seen this before. Try to lay more asym and loosen the foot end shock cord adjustment to allow UQ to widen out more. I bet if someone looked at it when you are laying in it they would see a crease that forms a triangle not allowing the UQ to seal to hammock

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hangnout View Post
    The UQ is not sealing to hammock probably due to a channel formed on the longer and maybe wider hammock? Seen this before. Try to lay more asym and loosen the foot end shock cord adjustment to allow UQ to widen out more. I bet if someone looked at it when you are laying in it they would see a crease that forms a triangle not allowing the UQ to seal to hammock
    Yeah good point. I thought of that after a while so I loosen everything up completely, then started tightening everything down inch by inch. I finally gave up after nothing helped. I was even lucky and had the sun shining right at the foot end so I could see the UQ through the hammock. Everything was sealed up nicely.

Man, throwing in the towel. The insanity has to stop somewhere. After six years of on/off success, I just can’t take any more

Driving back home...what a waste.

May need to get that tent back out. Watch for the incoming fire sale in three, two, one...

Images
    Sure sounds like you are not getting your back and butt deep in the UQ. You butt is ending up on the leg shelf causing a huge air gap.

You are not trying to side sleep are you? That doesn't work with a leg shelved UQ either.

What about down distribution? Do you need to do a bit of UQ shaking to even the down out?

Cinch up the suspension abnormally tight. You can't over do it. That'll fix it.

Hammock
    SLD Tree Runner DL
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Haven
    Insulation
    UGQ UQ / TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch bling
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Wing View Post
    Cinch up the suspension abnormally tight. You can't over do it. That'll fix it.

+1

I have a 77" UGQ Zepplin. I've used it on a Chameleon and my SLD Trail Lair.

The Trail Lair was first. I had concerns as the hammock is 12'. The UQ was stretched tight to go from one end of the hammock to the other. It sealed up nicely and never moved on me - not once.

Next was the Chameleon. I hung the UQ with w/o changing any adjustments from when I had it with the TL. It moved all over the place. I made several adjustments throughout the night but the ONLY one that fixed it was pulling it tighter from one end to the other (i.e. making the UQ stretch way out and really lify up the hammock). Problem solved.

Since the UQ was brand new the shock cord was still really tight. So when I put it on the Chameleon it seemed like it was stretched out fine - like it was on the TL. Then, after the other adjustments did not work, I realized that even though the UQ felt tight the hammock was a foot shorter than the TL so by stretching it out even more it was all good.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast