Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Yes. I was going to send you to this thread in your new top quilt thread. I've made two quilts using Coffee's design as a template. Well within your skill set based on what you've already built.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    WBBB XLC / HH Explorer Deluxe
    Tarp
    Hennessy Hex
    Insulation
    HG zero incubator

Angry

I know this is an older thread but figure I would comment on this question with my experience. I made one very similar to this with the baqffles that run around the hammock vs in line with the hammock and I do notice that the down seems to migrate towards the bottom leaveing only a little down along the sides. This does not bother me to much b/c my TQ takes care of that but I do think that if the baffles ran parralel withe he hammock it would eliminate this. I started to make one like that but failed to double check my baffles before

I started sewing and didnt realize until I got to what I thought was the last baffle that I realized that I sewed my first baffle where the second one was supposed to go soo that being said I do not have a true side by side to compare with but I have a feeling that having the baffles run parralel withthe hammock would be the way to go.

Quote Originally Posted by Roadrunnr72 View Post
    I am thinking about making 1 of these. I see that the baffles run "around " the quilt. Would it be better to make them run the length of the quilt? Does it not really matter?

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by freakfx View Post
    I know this is an older thread but figure I would comment on this question with my experience. I made one very similar to this with the baqffles that run around the hammock vs in line with the hammock and I do notice that the down seems to migrate towards the bottom leaveing only a little down along the sides. This does not bother me to much b/c my TQ takes care of that but I do think that if the baffles ran parralel withe he hammock it would eliminate this. I started to make one like that but failed to double check my baffles before

I started sewing and didnt realize until I got to what I thought was the last baffle that I realized that I sewed my first baffle where the second one was supposed to go soo that being said I do not have a true side by side to compare with but I have a feeling that having the baffles run parralel withthe hammock would be the way to go.
    I'm happy to see people are still using these directions.

Earlier this year I made a couple new quilts. I made one with baffles parallel to the hammock and one with the box baffle design. The box baffle design is a lot more work. But I think it gives the best of both designs.

With the way I did the baffles perpendicular to the hammock I always felt my shoulders were a little cold if I didn't cover them more with the top quilt.
    Is that too much to ask? Girls with frikkin' lasers on their heads?
    The hanger formly known as "hammock engineer".

Hammock
    ENO/tablecloth
    Tarp
    wb superfly
    Insulation
    yeti,peapod(1st v
    Suspension
    whoopies treestrap
    thread drift.......coffee is alive.....welcome back!!
    Peanuts

"A womans place is on the trail"

Senior Member Living the Highlife's Avatar
    Hammock
    DIY 1.9
    Tarp
    HammockGear CF
    Insulation
    DIY UQ + Lafuma TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Maybe I am misunderstanding the directions, but I thought the same baffle was sewn on the inside and outside layer of the quilt? These directions make it sound like the baffles are just kinda free floating in between the two layers. Maybe i'm missing something. I really want to start making one of these and I'm new to the whole DIY thing.
    Corey Miller

"Some ships are designed to sink… others require our assistance."

Senior Member Superfluous Grizzly's Avatar
    Hammock
    DIY POS
    Tarp
    MYOG Cat
    Insulation
    Manly Hair
    Suspension
    Whoopie Straps
    Very nice, thanks

Hammock
    WBBB DL 1.0
    Tarp
    WBBMJ
    Insulation
    DIY UQ, HG Phoenix
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Thanks for the writeup, Coffee! I just ordered my materials to make an UQ, and Im going to base my design on yours, only with lengthwise baffles, and grosgain channels on the sides to allow for a little bit easier fine-tuning.

I was tossing around the idea of making an asymmetric setup, but instead I'm going to keep it simple since this will be a full length quilt.
    Mike, Backcountry Mentor
    https://backcountrymentor.com
    Check me out on YouTube!
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCuhqpe2xIWBXRVtpB5dxAJA

Hammock
    Modified Doublenest Eno
    Insulation
    DIY RRG Full UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Thanks for the instructions Coffee. We've used your instructions for 2 underquilts (me & hubbie) that worked very well for our New Years Eve hike on the Pinhoti trail. We were warm and toasty in the upper 20s. Now we are sewing a 3rd for our daughter for a 4 day Mardi Gras hike on the AT.

Hammock
    DIY green gathered end.
    Tarp
    12x10 blue tarp.
    Insulation
    DIY 25* Peapod
    Suspension
    JRB triglide
    I'm still confused by baffles. Could I just sew the inner and outer layer together. Sew three sides together. Then sew lengthwise up to the fourth edge that's not sewed. Fill the opening and then sew the remaining edge?

Hammock
    WBBB DL 1.0
    Tarp
    WBBMJ
    Insulation
    DIY UQ, HG Phoenix
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by joemcc View Post
    I'm still confused by baffles. Could I just sew the inner and outer layer together. Sew three sides together. Then sew lengthwise up to the fourth edge that's not sewed. Fill the opening and then sew the remaining edge?
    I think you have it. You dont sew the two "shells" together other than at the edges. You sew the baffles into place on the one layer, then sew the other edge of the baffles into place on the other layer. Then, sew the end and two long sides of the layers together. Your open end is then stuffed, and sewn shut.

If it helps to vizualize things, make a scale model with paper. I built my own, and tried to document everything here: http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=44783
    Mike, Backcountry Mentor
    https://backcountrymentor.com
    Check me out on YouTube!
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCuhqpe2xIWBXRVtpB5dxAJA

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast