Tarp
    Dutch army tarp
    Insulation
    looking for a new
    Suspension
    exped slitline

Testing hammocks near Switzerland?

Hey Guys

I would really like to buy a “real” camping hammock. However I never tried one, and I would perefer not to spend 200-300 dollars on a hammock that I potentially do not like.
    Do you know if there is a place in Switzerland (or southern Germany), where camping hammocks can be tested?

cheers
    Jakob

P.S. On the list of hammocks I am having a look at is: Warbonnet blackbird, Hennessy expedition asym, Dreamhammock sparrow, or even a bridge hammock like the warbonnet ridgerunner.

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    My choices would be a Blackbird or a Dream Hammock.
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Hammock
    Hammocktent 90*, Sparrow, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    light & waterproof
    Insulation
    Ongoing experiment
    Suspension
    Ongoing experiment
    I will pass along my experiences for what they are worth. My first camping hammock was a WBRR (ridgerunner). I really liked the relatively flat lay, the abundant storage options, how it sits high for a good view out, and the zippered bugnet, and the WBRR is equally at home with a inflatable pad or underquilt (UQ).

My second hammock was a hammocktent Gamma UL made in Schweiz. The reason I purchased the Gamma UL was specifically for backpacking due to the light weight, integrated bugnet, and reviews about the flat lay and side sleeping ability (I am about half and half side versus back sleeping). Because of the comfort and lightweight it has become my go to backpacking hammock. At that time the price was relatively competitive, but since then Luke has had to raise the price due to production issues in order to cover his costs. My mom's parent's families immigrated from Switzerland, and consequently, I must admit having a bias toward things Swiss since I spent much of my childhood around that culture of my immigrant relatives. I mention Hammocktent since it is in Switzerland and there is the possibility that Luke would let you try out one of his hammocks as well as give you advice on where to hang (he is an avid hanger). All the 90 degree hammocks need a pad or partial pad for structural integrity. My favorites are the Exped Synmat 7 UL MW, the Downmat 7 UL LW, or the Thermarest Xtherm MAX L. You can also augment the pad with additional insulation if needed. There is a size and weight limit for the Gamma ULs as noted on the Hammocktent website.

My third hammock was a Dream Hammock Raven. I really like my Raven for general hanging, such as for truck traveling, indoor, or back yard hanging. The Smurfs are deeply invested in providing excellent hammocks and they and their hammocks have a great reputation, period. Many folks are very happy with the DH hammocks, and I am one. The Raven has the advantage of being a symetrical hammock versus a dedicated asymmetric hammock. (the new WBBB XLC now can be flipped to accommodate right and left lay) I like the top cover/bugnet flexibility with the Raven and I have used it some camping, but my go to backpacking hammock remains the Gamma UL. After I compared the Gamma UL, the DH Raven, and the WBRR, I decided to pass the WBRR along to some one else because I thought the Gamma and Raven were more comfortable all around, notwithstanding it does have it's adherents and many great features.

My last hammock is another 90 degree hammock made by Exped, another Schweiz company called the Ergo. Actually, Luke took his 90 degree idea to Exped and they collaborated on the Ergo design. Luke used a lightweight version of the Ergo on his PCT thru hike (Pacific Crest Trail), spending every night on the trail in it except two. Exped has discontinued the Ergo due to lack of interest (?). The atypical 90 degree design isn't what comes to most folks mind when they think of a hammock. But I, as well as a number of others, remain convinced the 90 degree design is provides the flattest lay and the most comfortable side sleeping. There is another more popular 90 degree hammock made in Scandinavia called the Amok Draumr, but it is really too heavy for what most folks want to carry when back packing. The main reasons I purchased the Ergo was, since it was I could purchase the combi (hammock and very nice tarp for the price of most other hammocks alone since it was discontinued. More importantly, I wanted to save my Gamma UL from daily wear and tear and I use the Ergo for a daily sleeper now. A cautionary note: it is not the same hammock as a Gamma UL and it takes some tweaking and learning to adjust to it's nuances. It is also not as light as the Gamma and probably compares, or is a tad bit heavier, than the other hammocks you mention. But overall, it provides a nice flat lay and is great for side sleeping without a hint of shoulder squeeze or calf ridge.

I'm confident Hutzelbein (from Germany) will be sending along his thoughts too. He has a experience with the 90 degrees hammocks, but his favorite is the WBBB, from what I've seen. He also should know of potential hanging spots in your part of the globe.

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    If you're willing to travel as far as the Bavarian Forest, you would be welcome to drop by and check out my hammock collection. If you speak or read a bit of German, you could post on Haengemattenforum.de. We have at least one very active member from Switzerland who might be willing to show off his DIY hammocks.

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by OlTrailDog View Post
    I'm confident Hutzelbein (from Germany) will be sending along his thoughts too. He has a experience with the 90 degrees hammocks, but his favorite is the WBBB, from what I've seen. He also should know of potential hanging spots in your part of the globe.
    I'm still a she, the last time I checked

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    Dutch army tarp
    Insulation
    looking for a new
    Suspension
    exped slitline
    Womit meine Private message wohl beantwortet wäre
    How to backpack light: Step 1. leave plate carrier, helmet, rifle and ammunition, Step 2. magic, Step 3. just saved 19kg.
    Alternative: Don't join the infantry.

Hammock
    Hammocktent 90*, Sparrow, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    light & waterproof
    Insulation
    Ongoing experiment
    Suspension
    Ongoing experiment
    Quote Originally Posted by hutzelbein View Post
    I'm still a she, the last time I checked
    Oh wow! My sincere apologies. Please just don't start a sexual harassment lawsuit against me. plz, plz, plz.

(This may be an inside joke, since folks are going absolutely nuts over on this side of the pond)

Hammock
    ridgerunner
    Tarp
    superfly
    Suspension
    buckles
    As OlTrailDog has mentioned, the latest WBBB XLC can be configured for either lay angles. This is the main reason why I have purchased it as my first gathered-end hammock. A shorter hanging distance is possible with this hammock.

I also have the WBRR, but am unhappy about needing a 12 to 13 feet tarp for full closure. I have been very comfortable with it though. I am also pleased that I do not need extra stakes for the RR; the BB requires two extra stakes.. A minimum hanging distance of 14 feet is required for the RR.

In time, I can purchase underquilts made specifically for either BB and/or RR.

Hammock
    DH Darien / WB RR
    Tarp
    DW Dyneema/UGQ WD
    Insulation
    EE RevX / HG Inc.
    Suspension
    ENO Atlas / Mantis
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by akazami View Post
    Hey Guys

I would really like to buy a “real” camping hammock. However I never tried one, and I would perefer not to spend 200-300 dollars on a hammock that I potentially do not like.
    Do you know if there is a place in Switzerland (or southern Germany), where camping hammocks can be tested?

cheers
    Jakob

P.S. On the list of hammocks I am having a look at is: Warbonnet blackbird, Hennessy expedition asym, Dreamhammock sparrow, or even a bridge hammock like the warbonnet ridgerunner.
    Not sure if this is still of actuality, but I could offer to test two 11' models of Dreamhammock in Geneva. In addition I could let you test a 9' DD Hammock and a 10' White Mountain (which is not made any longer, but would give you an idea of the difference in length between 9, 10 and 11' models. And finally I still have a Chrysalis bridge-type hammock. So quite some choice. You could also have a look at Top / Underquilts.

• + New Posts