Hammock
    Chameleon clone
    Tarp
    Cowboy Badlander
    Suspension
    WB Cinch Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cmc4free View Post
    If the ball changes size by more than a few percent, the mating parts either won't fit or would be too loose to hold a device in position.
    You're sure right about those tolerances. The magnetic mount I was using fit beautifully on the 3D printed hook, but the ball on the injection molded model was ever so slightly too big. I could force it into the socket of the mount, but it pushed the threads out of line. So the first thing I had to so was scuff up my nice shiny new injection molded hook with an emory board.

My guess would be a product or series of products that will work synergistically with the existing Hangtime Hook.
    I'd certainly love to see something like that. I really harbored no illusions he was developing a semi-flexible model--like you said, it would be hard to see much profit incentive--it's just something I find myself wishing for every time I take my hook off to pack the hammock away. Minor inconvenience, but still--a fella can dream.
    "Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates." -Mark Twain

Images
    Has anyone actually broken an injection molded version? The original 3D print versions would be more prone to breakage, but the molded production model seems pretty stout to me. I haven't thought to research or try to figure out what plastic they're molded from, but a guess would be ABS and if so, they should be pretty robust if not seriously abused.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Insulation
    Wooki
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Haven’t broken one yet, and they do feel solid. I keep mine in the lid of my backpack. If it was semirigid/rubber/silicone I’d be tempted to leave it on my hammock’s ridge line when I pack my hammock up. I don’t currently because I’m worried it might break and/or damage my hammock.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    DreamHammock Sparrow
    Tarp
    HG Journey
    Insulation
    UGQ Down
    Suspension
    Treeee straps!
    Has anyone actually broken an injection molded version?
    I had an Orange Screw pull free and my Tensa 4 mostly tacoed. The only thing hurt was my hang time hook.

One of the spring arms broke at the hinge 50F8EBDF-1E2E-4396-BD8B-B15878CDB741.jpeg

Are there any good substitutes for the ball mount attachment?

Images
    I like these magnetic mounts. They take careful alignment of the threaded nut and it might not seem like they'll fit, but trust me, they do.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B06XC...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Hammock
    Chameleon clone
    Tarp
    Cowboy Badlander
    Suspension
    WB Cinch Buckles
    Images
    I like these magnetic mounts. They take careful alignment of the threaded nut and it might not seem like they'll fit, but trust me, they do.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B06XC...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    See, those are the exact mounts I couldn't get to fit on mine. The ball pushed the threads apart just far enough out of alignment that there was no way to get the nut back on without sanding the ball down. I wonder if there's any difference in the tolerances from one production run to another?
    "Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates." -Mark Twain

Hammock
    Chameleon Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    KC Cat Tangle 12
    Insulation
    LLG CR, Wooki
    Suspension
    Whoopie & shackle
    They definitely require some coaxing. Before I bought mine, I read here on the forums that the ball spread the threads enough to make it look like it won't work... but it does.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Snaps View Post
    They definitely require some coaxing. Before I bought mine, I read here on the forums that the ball spread the threads enough to make it look like it won't work... but it does.
    This was my experience. It doesn't thread on as easily as it should, but I was able to get it to fit without modifying anything. Pressing downward (axially) on the nut while turning it was necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by hang-anon View Post
    I had an Orange Screw pull free and my Tensa 4 mostly tacoed. The only thing hurt was my hang time hook.

One of the spring arms broke at the hinge 50F8EBDF-1E2E-4396-BD8B-B15878CDB741.jpeg

Are there any good substitutes for the ball mount attachment?
    The magnetic mount idea assumes you're looking to hang a phone though. If you were using the Hangtime Hook for a fan or something else, the magnetic mount may not fit the bill.

Because it was already tooled when the body of the hook was still being 3D printed, I suspect the clamp itself is not unique to the Hangtime Hook and that the inventor found the clamp "off the shelf" somewhere and designed the body of the hook around it. I wasn't able to find anything comparable in a few minutes of Google searching.

Hammock
    DreamHammock Sparrow
    Tarp
    HG Journey
    Insulation
    UGQ Down
    Suspension
    Treeee straps!
    I’ll give the magnetic mount a try, since it’s for a phone. Thanks!

Hammock
    DreamHammock Sparrow
    Tarp
    HG Journey
    Insulation
    UGQ Down
    Suspension
    Treeee straps!
    This was my experience. It doesn't thread on as easily as it should, but I was able to get it to fit without modifying anything. Pressing downward (axially) on the nut while turning it was necessary.

The magnetic mount idea assumes you're looking to hang a phone though. If you were using the Hangtime Hook for a fan or something else, the magnetic mount may not fit the bill.

Because it was already tooled when the body of the hook was still being 3D printed, I suspect the clamp itself is not unique to the Hangtime Hook and that the inventor found the clamp "off the shelf" somewhere and designed the body of the hook around it. I wasn't able to find anything comparable in a few minutes of Google searching.
    Reporting in from Sector Nine (?! I forgot what was on the sign when I drove into the PNW)...

The "Magnetic Dashboard Mount" arrived from Amazon a few days back. After recovering from my overnight climb into the Alpine Lakes Wilderness I finally have a chance to try it on the Hangtime Hook.

The ball on the Hangtime Hook is 0.02" larger than the ball on the dash mount. Some finesse might have gotten the threads to bite. Doubtful the ring would have fully seated on the magnetic mount, though. A bit of 100 grit sandpaper on a sanding block and about 10 minutes of swiping while attempting to keep the ball round and it fits quite nicely. Of course it's a little scuffed now.

• + New Posts
  • Page 20 of 22 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 LastLast