Tarp
    HG Cuben w/ doors
    Insulation
    HG uq + Down Bag
    Suspension
    DIYwhoops+MuleTape
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Urduja View Post
    I was running around all day in my hiking boots to have as similar of an experience as i can get without actually going on the trail.
    Were you wearing the same socks you had worn all day?
    I learned from my mother who was a Campfire Girl counselor that you should change into fresh socks before bed.
    You can wear the socks you wore to bed the following day but shouldn't wear the socks from that day to bed.

Lately I've enjoyed my cheap down booties. My sleeping bag also has a small pocket in the foot to hold a handwarmer.. a bit of non-professional sewing could easily add such a pocket to your set up.
    "It's not the man who's catching lots of fish and shooting lots of game who's having fun, it's the chap who's getting ready to do it."
    ~Horace Kephart

Hammock
    11 Ft Dutch Hexon 1.0 Sidezip
    Tarp
    12 ft HG Quest
    Insulation
    3/4 Phoenix20
    Suspension
    Spiderpolybeetles
    Possum Down socks from Z Packs and a piece of reflectix under my feet do fine for me in my 3/4 length underquilt.Also,Shug taught me that socks can be too tight.Look how loose those socks are that he uses.......and always wear Dry socks to bed.Also some exercising before turning in to get the blood in motion is a good idea.

Hammock
    Grand Trunk
    Tarp
    walkabout fly
    Insulation
    OV 20 UQ or PLUQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I'll agree strongly with the fresh, dry socks and they should be a bit loose fitting. Something to consider is putting a pad under your feet, as was suggested. I think damp socks will lead to cold feet almost every time. Tuck your jacket around your feet, not just under them, as some of the cold might be from insulation in your bag being compressed against the side of your hammock.

keep experimenting, you'll get there.

Hammock
    Dutch Half-Wit/EnoS7
    Tarp
    HG CF w doors
    Insulation
    LL TQ / EE UQ
    Suspension
    Spider w Becket
    Quote Originally Posted by Five Tango View Post
    Possum Down socks from Z Packs and a piece of reflectix under my feet do fine for me in my 3/4 length underquilt.Also,Shug taught me that socks can be too tight.Look how loose those socks are that he uses.......and always wear Dry socks to bed.Also some exercising before turning in to get the blood in motion is a good idea.
    I will check out those down socks and double check my sock tightness. Thanks

Hammock
    XLC/SLD 11' Tree Runner/BB
    Tarp
    WB MiniFly/SLD WH
    Insulation
    Jacks 'R' Better
    Suspension
    MyersTech/Dyneema
    Images
    Wrap the footbox with a down jacket....

Made the difference for me.

Screenshot at 2017-12-16 08:18:37.png
    "...in Florida, she felt air conditioning for the first time, and it was cold and unnatural upon her skin."

Hammock
    Dutchware Netless - for now
    Tarp
    Xenon Winter
    Insulation
    Incubator & Burrow
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    I hate cold feet! I'm agree with others - no socks. Even though wool is supposed to wisk the moisture away, going without seems to work better. I am notoriously cold and I hate being cold. I break out my LL Bean flannel lined pants when it hits about 40 along with my merino wool socks. But when I hang, I take 'em off and have always been toasty (takes a few minutes to warm up my TQ or sleeping bag but from there on I'm golden!).

Hammock
    Dutch Half-Wit/EnoS7
    Tarp
    HG CF w doors
    Insulation
    LL TQ / EE UQ
    Suspension
    Spider w Becket
    Thanks everyone. I tried no socks last night and it worked

Hammock
    Chameleon, SLD, Hennessey, ENO DN
    Tarp
    Planning a DIY
    Insulation
    OneTigris UQ
    Suspension
    Multiple
    I was just about to say the constriction of socks give me cold feet as well so every night I've been in the hammock so far has been barefoot. Lots of options out there you just got to figure out what works for you

Urduja,

Welcome to this addiction. I am a newbie also. Its been a great journey. I have learned so many new things.

Been lucky to have spent about 20 ish nites, since March, in the hammock. These have been in the woods and in the shop. Coldest for me so far, in the woods, was 27 degrees, with snow. However, tomorrow its going to be 23 here, so Ill give it a go in the shop.

Gotta get my system dialed in before I go off into the woods when it gets into the teens. I think I wont try to winter camp in anything lower than that. I know it can be done and maybe one day Ill change my thought on this, but for now Ive drawn the line at 10 ish degrees.

Good work on figuring it out with your feet. If I could reiterate, never sleep in the socks you use for the day. I always have an extra pair, on any back pack trip and/or hunting trip and/ or fishing trip. I learned the benefit of this 45 years ago, in the Scouts.

If you havent done so, look into using a polypropylene liner sock, under whatever hiking sock, you prefer. It will wick away moisture, prevent blisters and add one more layer of warmth in your boots. Personally, all year for hiking/hunting/fishing/work, I wear Merino wool socks, like the Wigwam Comfort Hiker. With the liner sock, my feet are happy, ALL year.

Have fun.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12