Hammock
    Clark Jungle
    Tarp
    UGQ Penny Pincher
    Insulation
    HG 20*
    Suspension
    dyneema straps

Cool Underquilts and Clark hammock pockets? Does stuffing the pockets keep you warmer with a down UQ?

Hey friends! I recently spent a couple of nights in a Clark hammock with pockets, while also using a foam pad and an underquilt. My expert camping companion said that stuffing the pockets would help insulate me more, but I am wondering whether it is better to be directly in contact with the down layer or if the inevitable air as well as gear in the pockets will keep you warmer ultimately. Anyone have any experience with this scenario? Thanks!!

Hammock
    Amok,Clark NX270, ENO junglenest
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Wooki
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    I tried the pockets with extra clothes and such and definitely was disappointed, also used an insulated pad better but too much fooling around with amount of air! Tried my 3 season Wookie and now very happy. I don't put anything in the pockets at night, plus it wasn't hard to adapt the Wookie to the 270 seeing it's really just a fancy gathered end hammock! One that I love!.

Hammock
    Clark Jungle
    Tarp
    UGQ Penny Pincher
    Insulation
    HG 20*
    Suspension
    dyneema straps
    Quote Originally Posted by SoaknWet View Post
    I tried the pockets with extra clothes and such and definitely was disappointed, also used an insulated pad better but too much fooling around with amount of air! Tried my 3 season Wookie and now very happy. I don't put anything in the pockets at night, plus it wasn't hard to adapt the Wookie to the 270 seeing it's really just a fancy gathered end hammock! One that I love!.
    I use a quilt even in summer because I am always cold. I am wondering about the physics of insulation though-- I was warm enough at close to freezing with a 20* UQ and a 15* sleeping bag and pad, but I had things stuffed into the pockets of the hammock. I'm curious about how this impacts the insulating ability of the down UQ. I feel like it has potential to create pockets of cold air under the hammock where the gear is unevenly against it.

I had a foam pad and it worked ok, but definitely not perfect-- bit fiddly and I think I'd prefer to go without a pad when possible. Maybe I need to try one that isn't attached to the sleeping bag, that certainly made it more awkward. I can imagine one with air being really fiddly!

Next time out I'll have a down top quilt, (hurry up, Hammock Gear!!) so I'll be experimenting a bit.

Hammock
    GE ; RR ; Vertex ; Tentsile
    Tarp
    HG Cubens W/ doors
    Insulation
    Yeti, Wookis, Lynx
    Suspension
    dyneema strap/ring
    Images
    I am interested in your experiments, please keep us updated.

Hammock
    Clark Jungle
    Tarp
    UGQ Penny Pincher
    Insulation
    HG 20*
    Suspension
    dyneema straps
    Quote Originally Posted by Rouskof View Post
    I am interested in your experiments, please keep us updated.
    Sure. I guiltily got myself a new setup for black Friday, and part of that was from the Clark flash sale, so I will have some pockets under my hammock. I'll be trying to put everything together for a test hang in early January.

I want to be as warm as possible. The weather shield on the hammock I borrowed this weekend really helped insulate the air around me-- made having my nose exposed much more feasible. Not sure about the impact of the pocket contents because it was recommended I also use a sleep pad due to the type of sleeping bag I was borrowing. Too many variables, you know? So yes, watch this space for further tests

Hammock
    GE ; RR ; Vertex ; Tentsile
    Tarp
    HG Cubens W/ doors
    Insulation
    Yeti, Wookis, Lynx
    Suspension
    dyneema strap/ring
    Images
    I'd say closer to the down, the better, but who knows...

Hammock
    Amok,Clark NX270, ENO junglenest
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Wooki
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Question! What's the difference in the pockets on the Clark being between you and your down QU and any two layered hammock?

Hammock
    Clark Jungle
    Tarp
    UGQ Penny Pincher
    Insulation
    HG 20*
    Suspension
    dyneema straps
    Quote Originally Posted by SoaknWet View Post
    Question! What's the difference in the pockets on the Clark being between you and your down QU and any two layered hammock?
    The difference is the gear, jackets, socks, book, etc, stuffed into the pockets.

Sent from my Robin using Tapatalk

Hammock
    SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images
    Some would say insulation is additive, and that's that. Bunch of clothing, then the UQ, just more insulation and, therefore, warmer. I don't subscribe to that notion. I think there is something to be gained by having down making contact at skin level, or close to it.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Hammock
    WBRR or Clark North American
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Ridge Reaper
    Suspension
    Cinch/Helios/Atlas
    I find that I can use my Clark North American Jungle Hammock down to 15 C/60 F on it's own, 5 C/40 F with clothing strategically placed in pockets but any below -3 C/26 F I use a home made Costco UQ/TQ and am good to -15 C /5 F before I'm chilled.

A long time ago I read something here about pads and UQ working against each other. If I recall correctly the thought was that the pad wouldn't allow your UQ to hold the right shape and created a pocket between them. I tend to agree and use both but never together. I rely on the quilt for the really cold...

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast