Warbonnet BB XLC
    Tarp
    WB minifly
    Insulation
    WBWooki/UGQ Bandit
    Suspension
    Standard
    Quote Originally Posted by Dvankirk View Post
    Good video. I've been looking at this loop the last couple of weeks for a possible January trip, but I think I might wait until a little warmer weather to lighten my load for the climbs (and I don't want to chance slipping on ice). I'm sure that I would be fine, but I might see if I can find a Gorge Rat who is interested in showing a first timer the way.
    I think a January trip would only be a good idea if the river levels are low, crossing at Spence can be really tricky even with low levels, I wouldn’t want to take a tumble into the river in winter weather. I decided to complete this loop this time of year only because I had unusually warm weather and low water levels. I don’t consider myself a Gorge rat but I’d be happy to join you on a hike sometime.
    "Why didn’t Noah swat those two mosquitoes?"

My Backpacking YouTube Channel

Hammock
    DIY TCF Sage Green
    Tarp
    Noah's Tarp 12x12
    Insulation
    MAMW TQ, UGQ UQ
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by prelohded View Post
    Just wanted to share my recent trip to Linville Gorge, completing the Is That All Ya Got Loop - 22 challenging miles but worth the effort
    Just for S&G, after the time changes back and it warms up a little, do you think a day hike of this loop would be do-able if someone were in decent hiking shape?

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB XLC
    Tarp
    WB minifly
    Insulation
    WBWooki/UGQ Bandit
    Suspension
    Standard
    Quote Originally Posted by johnspenn View Post
    Just for S&G, after the time changes back and it warms up a little, do you think a day hike of this loop would be do-able if someone were in decent hiking shape?
    I personally don’t think that would be possible. I think an average backpacker/hiker would say this is a challenging 2 night hike - would be even more challenging as an overnighter but probably still doable if you are in good shape and familiar with Linville Gorge. You would need to be a trail runner to have any chance at completing this in a day.

I have no trail running experience but there is a recent post on the Linville gorge forums about a group of seasoned trail runners who completed this loop in a day, and it took them around 13 hours (first time in the Gorge). The take away from the author is that they drastically underestimated the Gorge and were suffering through much of it. Gorge miles are tough, there are many sections of trail where it is impossible to get a good pace going, and it’s also easy to get turned around, especially down on the LGT.
    Last edited by prelohded; 12-12-2017 at 21:25.
    "Why didn’t Noah swat those two mosquitoes?"

My Backpacking YouTube Channel

Hammock
    DIY TCF Sage Green
    Tarp
    Noah's Tarp 12x12
    Insulation
    MAMW TQ, UGQ UQ
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopies
    Images
    Gotcha. Thanks for the info!

Hammock
    DH Sparrow/WB RR
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Msc
    Insulation
    Loco Libre
    Suspension
    Beetles
    I will do that, feel free to do the same with me, I’m always looking for hiking partners. Although, if you are doing things like hiking the ITAYG loop as an overnighter I don’t think I can keep up with you
    Ha! No worries on that front. I was with a friend of mine that lives in the mountains and is 10 years younger than me. He’s notorious for getting me in over my head. My regular pace is much more relaxed I just like spending time outside!

Hammock
    RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    Thunderfly
    Insulation
    AHE Ridgecreek XL
    Suspension
    Myers Tech
    Thank you for sharing! Well done!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Yes
    Tarp
    Doors for sure
    Insulation
    Love some down
    Suspension
    Usualy helps
    I think a January trip would only be a good idea if the river levels are low, crossing at Spence can be really tricky even with low levels, I wouldn’t want to take a tumble into the river in winter weather. I decided to complete this loop this time of year only because I had unusually warm weather and low water levels. I don’t consider myself a Gorge rat but I’d be happy to join you on a hike sometime.
    I think that you are right about January, but I'll let you know when I schedule it for the spring. I'll probably do it in 3 nights so that I have plenty of time to lulligag - nothing better to me than an afternoon siesta to cut the burn of gorge climbs.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12