Hammock
    DIY ROBIC 1.2 double layer
    Tarp
    Kelty's Noah 12
    Insulation
    DIY bottom quilt
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies
    An easy test you can do to visualize the forces applied to the rig would be to measure the distance between the outer tips of the bars without weight. Then have someone measure their distance with you lying in the bottom hammock. Finally, measure the distance between them with you lying in the top hammock. I am willing to bet they will be pulled closer together when you lie in the top hammock as opposed to when you lie in the bottom hammock simply based on the change in pulling angle. A simple way to visualize it would also be to tie a taught ridgeline at the top, and see how much it sags when you get in the bottom hammock, and again when you get in the top.

Don't get me wrong.... I think it's a really nice setup. I'm just trying to make sure you're accounting for the increased forces your mod is applying.
    Just your average kayak-paddlin', fish-stalkin', gun-totin', hammock-hangin' Critical Care Paramedic

Hammock
    Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    Mamajamba
    Insulation
    Wookie
    Suspension
    Webbing w/buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by Kayak_Medic View Post
    My concern isn't the strength of the steel bars. My concern is the point where they connect to the base. That's where the increased pressure is going to be applied. That's what the thin gusset rod is bracing against in the stock configuration. By increasing the length, as well as changing the angle of pulling force, you are multiplying the pressure on that connection joint at the base. Think about what you do when you're trying to remove a rusted, stuck bolt when your standard socket wrench won't give you enough leverage. You either use a longer "breaker bar" or you makeshift one by slipping a length of pipe over your socket wrench. That extra length increases your leverage and the amount of torque you're able to exert on the bolt. You have essentially fashioned a breaker bar, which means you are placing a lot more torque and pressure on that joint at the base. At the very least, I would recommend you beef up the gusset brace at the bottom.
    The manufacturers of this stand apparently knew that had to make the bottom connecting steel tubing strong. The connecting rod at the bottom ("gusset rod") has the thickest steel tubing (in width not diameter) of the entire stand. It is 48" long x 1.50" in diameter x .180" thickness. Using the same website noted in my previous response, the amount of weight required to bend the steel rod at the bottom at low inertia would be approximately 1400 lbs. I think it will hold but appreciate the feedback.

I like this idea! We'll be finishing the installation of new tires, winch and bull bar on the current Jeep project and I'll look for some hammock stand design.

Hammock
    Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    Mamajamba
    Insulation
    Wookie
    Suspension
    Webbing w/buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by Drakey View Post
    I like this idea! We'll be finishing the installation of new tires, winch and bull bar on the current Jeep project and I'll look for some hammock stand design.
    Great Drakey! interestingly enough I am currently doing a renovation on my Jeep Cherokee XJ and adding a lift, new tires, new interior, new seats, and getting some minor transmission work completed as well. Having the handiness of an easily disassembled stand in the back of your Jeep while being able to 4 wheel in difficult terrain and then being able to hang anywhere with or without trees (since I live in the desert) is freakin' awesome. I also like to hang right at the edge of cliffs and overlooks where it is sometimes difficult to find trees around Mogollon Rim. Gonna do a front bumper/winch/bull bar later in 2018...

Quote Originally Posted by damalm View Post
    Great Drakey! interestingly enough I am currently doing a renovation on my Jeep Cherokee XJ and adding a lift, new tires, new interior, new seats, and getting some minor transmission work completed as well. Having the handiness of an easily disassembled stand in the back of your Jeep while being able to 4 wheel in difficult terrain and then being able to hang anywhere with or without trees (since I live in the desert) is freakin' awesome. I also like to hang right at the edge of cliffs and overlooks where it is sometimes difficult to find trees around Mogollon Rim. Gonna do a front bumper/winch/bull bar later in 2018...
    Sounds great mods ahead for you XJ! I would like to get some ideas as well. One buddy here even have crazy idea of the hammock stand on top of the Jeep.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12