Hammock
    11' Argon
    Tarp
    HG CF
    Insulation
    HG UQ - DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Kevlar Tree Straps
    I've got a good one for this. When my son was in high school he was on the shooting team and they had a competition at one of the large shooting ranges in Texas about 4 hours from our home. Imagine 4 different sporting clays courses and many trap and skeet fields at this place, so it covers hundreds of acres. They allow camping in RVs in the parking lots, but I had to work during most of the multi-day event so I could only run up for a day, stay the night and then head home the next day, so I didn't want to drag an RV for 4 hours each way, just for me on that one night (my son was staying with a friend and his family). Since I knew there was wooded areas on the grounds I thought: "I will just bring my hammock and throw back in the woods after dark and nobody will be harmed". I did not really want to ask for permission because we all know the default answer would be no, but I knew it would not hurt anything. So after my sons portion of the competion was done, and darkness fell, I found a spot back in a wooded area, set up the hammock (Camo Argon from Dutch, Camo underquilt, and camo DCF tarp) and crashed. Some of the shooting continued at a lighted portion of the course until around midnight, but it was far enough away that it didn't bother me. However, a while after the shooting stopped I noticed a vehicle coming through a field and heading directly towards my location, with the headlights shining directly at me. I layed still and knew that they couldn't run into me because there were trees on all sides, but I thought I was busted. When the lights got about 30 yards from me they turned 90 degrees and continued on without stopping. Two more vehicles did the same thing before everything settled down. I could tell these were tractor type vehicles as they went past. When I got up the next morning I went and looked and realized there was a heavy equipment trail that lead to the maintenance facility that these vehicles had traveled to store the equipment for the night. I slept great for the rest of the night!! Not illegal but I did not have permission.

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    Sooo familiar! during a PCT thru-hike in Oregon I was about mid-state and had a long trail day as I wanted to get near Sisters for a mail drop pickup the next day. It was already dark when I set up camp - which was just finding a 3 ft x 6 ft flat piece of ground for my bivi bag. Some time during the night I woke to big truck headlights bearings down on me. I thought, “This is it. Hike alone half way across Oregon only to be run over by a truck - and what’s that truck doing in the middle of the forest anyway. At the last minute the truck veered off. I was pretty exhausted and maybe my mind thought it was just a super realistic dream - what’s a truck doing in the middle of the forest.

The next morning I got up and looked around. Turns out, I was about six feet from Hwy 242 and near a curve. I’m so glad that the night before, I hadn’t continued on a few more feet and found this really flat but somewhat hard surface - hey, no roots, stones, or pine cones - to sleep on.

Not like it made an impression or anything. It was only 46 years ago.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

• + New Posts
  • Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789