Hammock
    Chameleon Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    KC Cat Tangle 12
    Insulation
    LLG CR, Wooki
    Suspension
    Whoopie & shackle

Moved from Hennessy to BBXLC 2.0... questions...

OK, I received my XLC today after spending the weekend in my Hennessy UL Explorer w/2Q2Z mod #4. The first thing I did was replace the noisy cast zipper pulls with Lawson cord, inside & out on both sides:

I have a few questions/comments that are likely just personal preference, but I'm interested in hearing others' opinions.

I replaced both side pullouts with a single loop of reflective shock cord. Is there any reason to put this contraption back on?

HH Snake Skins, or WB double-sided stuff sack? Pros/cons... I like being able to wrap up the hammock while suspended with the snake skins, but the double-ended stuff sack seems more compact.

The zippers on the WB aren't as high a quality as what ZQ uses on the Hennessy mods, but I expected that. I did find that reaching up to the peak of my HH to unzip was a pain, but that could have been fixed by pulling the two foot-end zippers closer... so that's just user error. I'm curious to see how the BBXLC zipper positioning will work out. Has anyone experienced issues from the small gaps left at the ends of the zippers?

Any other tips would be welcome!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    Wow, now I have to set up my XLC to listen for my zippers. I've never even thought about this before. If you replaced the "contraption" then there's no need for it as far as I know. I've never had an issue with the zippers and a gap and again I've never noticed this so again I need to set her up and have a look. I believe you are looking very closely at your new hammock where many of us have had one so long that we've forgotten these issues or they were never issues to us. I still have the original shock cord but rarely use it as well.

Hammock
    Chameleon Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    KC Cat Tangle 12
    Insulation
    LLG CR, Wooki
    Suspension
    Whoopie & shackle

Heh heh... If you put corded pulls on your stuff, I promise you'll never miss the jingle-jangle of metal-on-metal.

True, I haven't set it up yet, and I'm doing some close inspection to compare it to my Hennessy. I won't really have a useful opinion worked up until I sleep in it. I might try to spend a night in it over the weekend.

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Funny, I found that I greatly prefer the zipper pulls on the BBs over cord zipper pulls. My Dream Hammock came with cord pulls, and man - those pulls always get tangled and stuck... That never happened with the standard zipper pulls. I also never noticed any extra noise.

I would suggest that before making further mods, you go and use the XLC as it is to see if there are any problems. Over the years I have tried a one or two mods, but have switched back to the original set-up, because it was simply better.

Here is the only mod I kept:

I didn't like the huge, flat cord stoppers on the tie-outs. The double hole cordstoppers are smaller and easier to use. And I switched out the key rings for Dutch Hooks because I take off the tie-outs before washing my Blackbirds. I will exchange the white shock cord for black eventually.

I also exchanged the knotted ridgeline for a spliced one, but only because I'm anal. The spliced ridgeline doesn't make a difference in the day to day use.

Hammock
    Chameleon Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    KC Cat Tangle 12
    Insulation
    LLG CR, Wooki
    Suspension
    Whoopie & shackle
    For some of this, I'm just going off my experience with my HH. I replaced the zipper pulls on that one and liked it. I will likely change the CLs to colored amsteel as on my Explorer. I might add a detachable UCR ridgeline, only because I haven't tried one yet.

Hammock
    Chameleon Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    KC Cat Tangle 12
    Insulation
    LLG CR, Wooki
    Suspension
    Whoopie & shackle

I set up the XLC for a quick test hang on the balcony. It's SO comfortable. It feels wider than my HH Explorer. I have a 3-season Wooki and put some hand pressure into the base of the hammock and then into the Wooki before getting in to make sure I wasn't going to be held up by the UQ. It seems pretty tight. It works fine (and feels warm), but I think I'm going to add some length to the UQ suspension for piece of mind.

I can see the shelf coming in handy. I might put a peak bag in the for a little concealment.

It feels a little strange having the hammock tieouts above the zipper rather than below, so when getting in or out I have to go under the tieouts instead of over them.

I replaced the tieouts with a simple loop of reflective shock cord with one of these on it:

They're from Dutch's site, and they seem like they'll be pretty versatile. They hook to themselves or to a stake's pull cord, at any length along the shock cord. The small knotted loop serves as a stop and gives me an inch to tug on. The hook will snap into the loop, or the loop can go right around the stake.

What else... I wish I knew where I could get more of those mini biners that come on the XLC & Wooki. I think Dutch might have some, if in only one color.

Oh, and I couldn't seem to get the ridgeline very tight. Or, not as tight as with my Hennessy. On the HH, the RL was often guitar-string tight at its most comfortable. The XLC got more comfortable as the RL got tighter, but I was always able to bend the RL between my thumb and finger. Maybe it just doesn't need to be as tight. It's also a much bigger diameter than my HH RL.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Snaps; 01-08-2018 at 16:24.

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DeltaNu1142 View Post
    I have a 3-season Wooki and put some hand pressure into the base of the hammock and then into the Wooki before getting in to make sure I wasn't going to be held up by the UQ. It seems pretty tight. It works fine (and feels warm), but I think I'm going to add some length to the UQ suspension for piece of mind.
    Don't. You'll just lose warmth. As long as the rubber band (or something similar) is part of the quilt suspension, there's no need to worry. The rubber band will rip long before the Wooki does. Believe me, I have accidentally tested this a couple of times.

It feels a little strange having the hammock tieouts above the zipper rather than below, so when getting in or out I have to go under the tieouts instead of over them.
    For me, this is one of the best features of the Blackbird design. I have never tripped over the BB tie-outs. I have tangled myself in the tie-outs of other hammocks often.

What else... I wish I knew where I could get more of those mini biners that come on the XLC & Wooki. I think Dutch might have some, if in only one color.
    Lots of places sell them - e.g. Warbonnet, Dutch, Ripstopbytheroll, Jacks'R'Better or Arrowhead Equipment.

Oh, and I couldn't seem to get the ridgeline very tight. Or, not as tight as with my Hennessy. On the HH, the RL was often guitar-string tight at its most comfortable. The XLC got more comfortable as the RL got tighter, but I was always able to bend the RL between my thumb and finger. Maybe it just doesn't need to be as tight. It's also a much bigger diameter than my HH RL.
    If you want the ridgeline tighter, simply decrease the hang angle by shortening the suspension. I like the Blackbird ridgeline pretty tight myself, but I wouldn't go more shallow than 20° to avoid undue stress on the system.

Hammock
    Chameleon Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    KC Cat Tangle 12
    Insulation
    LLG CR, Wooki
    Suspension
    Whoopie & shackle
    Quote Originally Posted by hutzelbein View Post
    Don't. You'll just lose warmth. As long as the rubber band (or something similar) is part of the quilt suspension, there's no need to worry. The rubber band will rip long before the Wooki does. Believe me, I have accidentally tested this a couple of times.
    Cool. Thanks!

Hammock
    Chameleon Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    KC Cat Tangle 12
    Insulation
    LLG CR, Wooki
    Suspension
    Whoopie & shackle

I guess I should add that this was the first time using the Ultimate straps with carabiners, so I had fixed adjustment intervals. I'm sure I could have gone much tighter with my Beetle Buckle suspension setup. But this was quick & dirty, and gave me cause to try it out.

Hammock
    Chameleon Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    KC Cat Tangle 12
    Insulation
    LLG CR, Wooki
    Suspension
    Whoopie & shackle
    Quote Originally Posted by hutzelbein View Post
    Lots of places sell them - e.g. Warbonnet, Dutch, Ripstopbytheroll, Jacks'R'Better or Arrowhead Equipment.
    Thanks - got a set from Arrowhead.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast