Hammock
    Chameleon, Hammeck Envy-S, Amok,
    Tarp
    Super Fly
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    CBs or whoopies
    What a great idea. Too bad I am 3000 miles away. My longbow is a little dusty.
    Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is knowing not to use it in a fruit salad.

Hammock
    11' 1.2 Robic XL
    Tarp
    Misc DIY ones
    Insulation
    Downy Goodness
    Suspension
    UHMWPE Straps
    Images
    It's a little drive, but I'd be interested as well depending on when y'all do it.
    73 de W4BKR

Not all who wander are lost... - J.R.R. Tolkein
    ...Besides, if we get lost, we just pull in somewheres and ask directions - Captain Ron

The ever striving gram weenie...always updated with the next trip

Hammock
    Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Wookie
    Suspension
    buckles and straps
    Wow, that makes about ten interested people so far.

I had kinda dropped the idea but now it is taking shape.

I have attended many archery shoots but have never been to a hang. I don't know what is expected at a hang.

Give me some idea of what would make an event like this great.

The archery club is out, but I have another option or two depent upon attendance.

So the question is, what would be a good time of the year and what would you expect to have available?

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk

Hammock
    DIY Big Red Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY Tarp w/ Doors
    Insulation
    HG UQ/Sleeping Bag
    Suspension
    Cinch Bugs / Strap
    Animal,

Talking hammocks specifically, I'm not sure what makes a good group hang as I'm only about to do my first one, but I'd say you could go in a couple of different directions depending on what people want. The Grayson winter hang that Hickory and Slowhike are putting together is going to be car camping style at the state park group site. It sound like it will have the option of just relaxing in camp all day or doing some day hikes up to the AT. You could plan it around a common activity such as archery as you suggested, or around a common interest (local historical sites, community service, forest ecosystems, etc.). In the past, I've had events as diverse as teaching search and rescue skills, a bible study group camp-out, and to watch a meteor shower. If you're into something and can find others that like it to, it will work. If all else fails, there's nothing wrong with just a bonfire and good food.

As far as timing, the bigger and more elaborate you want to make it, the more time I would allow. This is both for planning and to allow more people to schedule. If you want to host a major event, go a least a couple of months out. If it's more of a "hey, you want to go camping this weekend?" level of planning, that can happen whenever.

Well, those are just my thoughts. I'm sure some others who have been around more have some other great ideas.

Here's the link to the Grayson Highlands hang if you want to check it out too:
    https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...nds-State-Park

Hammock
    Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Wookie
    Suspension
    buckles and straps
    Quote Originally Posted by WildMed View Post
    Animal,

Talking hammocks specifically, I'm not sure what makes a good group hang as I'm only about to do my first one, but I'd say you could go in a couple of different directions depending on what people want. The Grayson winter hang that Hickory and Slowhike are putting together is going to be car camping style at the state park group site. It sound like it will have the option of just relaxing in camp all day or doing some day hikes up to the AT. You could plan it around a common activity such as archery as you suggested, or around a common interest (local historical sites, community service, forest ecosystems, etc.). In the past, I've had events as diverse as teaching search and rescue skills, a bible study group camp-out, and to watch a meteor shower. If you're into something and can find others that like it to, it will work. If all else fails, there's nothing wrong with just a bonfire and good food.

As far as timing, the bigger and more elaborate you want to make it, the more time I would allow. This is both for planning and to allow more people to schedule. If you want to host a major event, go a least a couple of months out. If it's more of a "hey, you want to go camping this weekend?" level of planning, that can happen whenever.

Well, those are just my thoughts. I'm sure some others who have been around more have some other great ideas.

Here's the link to the Grayson Highlands hang if you want to check it out too:
    https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...nds-State-Park
    Thanks, good advice

Senior Member Tyroler Holzhacker's Avatar
    Hammock
    DH DL Sparrow/SL Darien
    Tarp
    MacCat/WBSuperfly
    Insulation
    LL/JRB/DIY down
    Suspension
    MSH/Whoopies/strps
    Images
    I live in So MD. REally interested in any hang less than 4 hours from my house; the closer the better. That being said I am jonesing to check out West VA and Seneca Falls or Spruce Knob. Any interest there? As for dates, I prefer temps not too cold, so sometime in the spring is good. Memorial day weekend is good as far as a date is concerned.

Hammock
    Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Wookie
    Suspension
    buckles and straps
    Tyroler,

I am currently inquiring with a private campground in Arcadia VA. Its near Buchanan.

If they are agreeable I am looking at mid March to Early April.

There will be a Traditional Archery Stump shoot.

There are three stocked creeks for trout (Va license required)

The AT is within easy walk of campground. Apple Orchard Falls, one of the premier attractions on the AT is a moderate 4 mile hike.

There is a moderate to difficult 11-14 mile section of AT that includes Cornelius Creek shelter, Apple Orchard Falls and Bryant's Ridge shelter.

If floating is your gig and you are proficient with cold weather floats, there is a good half day float from Buchanan to Arcadia bridge.

Plenty to do and see if I can make it happen.

Hammock
    DIY Big Red Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY Tarp w/ Doors
    Insulation
    HG UQ/Sleeping Bag
    Suspension
    Cinch Bugs / Strap
    Sounds perfect.

Senior Member Tyroler Holzhacker's Avatar
    Hammock
    DH DL Sparrow/SL Darien
    Tarp
    MacCat/WBSuperfly
    Insulation
    LL/JRB/DIY down
    Suspension
    MSH/Whoopies/strps
    Images
    Sounds intriguing. It is a bit of a hike to the Roanoke area, but perhaps doable. That area is still prone to freezing temps until May though. Thanks for the offer, but those dates are not available for me I could do Columbus day weekend Oct 5-7, 2018, arriving friday afternoon and departing Sun morning. Let me know if that works. AO Falls looks like a true hiking/camping gem, and not overly strenuous. Does it get crowded around Columbus day weekend? Are there commodes/showers/potable water here? I can filter stream water if necessary.
    Last edited by Tyroler Holzhacker; 01-12-2018 at 11:42.

Hammock
    Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Wookie
    Suspension
    buckles and straps
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyroler Holzhacker View Post
    Sounds intriguing. It is a bit of a hike to the Roanoke area, but perhaps doable. That area is still prone to freezing temps until May though. Thanks for the offer, but those dates are not available for me I could do Columbus day weekend Oct 5-7, 2018, arriving friday afternoon and departing Sun morning. Let me know if that works. AO Falls looks like a true hiking/camping gem, and not overly strenuous. Does it get crowded around Columbus day weekend? Are there commodes/showers/potable water here? I can filter stream water if necessary.
    Apple orchard falls is on the AT. Water is usually plentiful there if you have a filter.

No amenities.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast