Hammock
    DH Raven
    Tarp
    HG CUBEN TARP
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix/Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopies / CRL
    I’m looking to try using a pad in my new blackbird since I’m still waiting for my UQ to be made, and my ridgerunner UQ isn’t compatible. I’ve seen all the videos on wrangling so I’m pretty confident on getting it in place. But I’m curious on how well it works compared to an UQ. I’m sure some pads work better than others, but would a simple closed cell foam pad keep me from freezing in 40 degree temps? I’d hate to get out there and regret not taking my ridgerunner instead.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by j-Fish View Post
    I’m looking to try using a pad in my new blackbird since I’m still waiting for my UQ to be made, and my ridgerunner UQ isn’t compatible. I’ve seen all the videos on wrangling so I’m pretty confident on getting it in place. But I’m curious on how well it works compared to an UQ. I’m sure some pads work better than others, but would a simple closed cell foam pad keep me from freezing in 40 degree temps? I’d hate to get out there and regret not taking my ridgerunner instead.

I would always go with a UQ over a pad. The closed cell pad may keep you totally warm at 40º but seems everybody differs a bit. Reckon only one way to find out.......
    Carry forth.
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Hammocktent 90*, Sparrow, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    light & waterproof
    Insulation
    Ongoing experiment
    Suspension
    Ongoing experiment
    Quote Originally Posted by j-Fish View Post

Pads vs UQ is a much debated topic. I will say up front I'm more of a hybrid solution individual. Largely this hybrids solution is driven my being a multi-activity, limited income, multi hammock, and pragmatic individual. Personally, I like to do a pros/cons list of UQ vs Pads before making a commitment. Although UQs have a range of temperature ranges they tend to be roughly the same, i.e. down or synthetic fill in a nylon based container. Pads on the other hand vary dramatically in materials, durability, R value, and especially price. I will start a list that others are welcome to add/subtract their thoughts and experiences.

UQ:
    1. All things considered UQs are warmer than pads. Since you specifically asked about a CCF pad, Shug is spot on, the UQ wins hands down. However, not all CCF pads are equal. Evazote pads seem to be the pick of the litter among CCF pads. I have one from Multimat, and it took me quite a while to locate a wide Evazote pad. Gossamer Gear, Exped, and Katabatic makes thinner ones in wide models, but i was looking for something more substantial. A CCF would be great, albeit uncomfortable, on the ground, but it is pretty iffy depending on personal physiology that it would be comfortable in a hammock even at 40*F. Individual experiences run the gamut on this.
    2. UQs tend to be substantially more expensive. There are less expensive "econ" models and synthetic models.
    3. UQs really are specialty items. They are for hammock camping, period. Plus, not all UQs fit what model of hammock you use, or plan on using in the future. Purchase a bridge hammock UQ and it will be useless in a GE and mostly vice versa if you change hammock designs or have multiple hammocks designs.
    4. If you get seriously spanked by the weather a soaked UQ can leave you in a serious, or life threatening situation. This is especially true of down UQs.
    5. The fiddle factor varies considerably among UQs and a particular hammock. Some are custom made and are less so, e.g. WB's wooki. However, from what I understand the wooki is dedicated to a particular lay left/right normal/reverse. That affects the resale potential and you better know what lay you are, unless you tend to be more 'ambidextrous' lay wise. I have wondered why the wooki isn't flippable so that it fits both r/l? Perhaps it is, or will be.
    6. Wonderful UQs can be DIYed if you have the skills. Even if you are a hack, like me, a suitable DIY UQ can be conjured up from a converted sleeping bag.
    7. Hitting the trail UL style? UQs tend to be lighter and more compactable. However, some inflatable pads can be a viable alternative choice too.

Pads:
    1. Pads vary greatly in price from inexpensive CCFs to expensive insulated inflatable pads. They also vary greatly in construction and durability. CCF are less warm, but bomber. Inflatable insulated pads are warm, but will leak if damaged (carry that small repair kit).
    2. Pads alone absolutely will not keep you warm at lower temperature extremes.
    3. Most everyone already owns a pad(s).
    4. Pads are vastly more multi-functional. They are used for hammocking, truck camping, ground camping, lounging at camp or for lunch, a dry spot to sit for lunch, a warm spot for lunch in the snow, a floating cushion, a make do raft.
    5. Pads take wrangling to work in GE hammocks. They work better in ninety degree hammocks or bridge hammocks. But even in GE hammocks they mostly are usable, and hence, cross platform. Even in GEs, some work better than others in my limited experience. In a DH Raven a pad works fine, but in a WBBB XLC, not so much. Success also depends on the width of the hammock.
    6. Most CCF or inflatable pads are bomber under inclement weather conditions and are water resistant. Open cell foam pads should be avoided, period.
    7. Forced to go to ground, better to have a pad.
    8. Own a variety of hammocks? Pads are more adaptable or cross platform.
    9. Pads provide a much flatter sleeping experience. They can help mitigate calf ridge, shoulder squeeze, knee hyper/hypo-extension, or ankle bump discomfort.
    10. Sweat discomfort using a pad is substantially a greater risk with a pad. This is highly dependent on individually physiology, humidity, and temperature. This can be offset to some degree by using a pad liner or placing your bag or quilt on top of the pad with the opening more sideways. If you are sweating being cold probably isn't a factor.

Hybrid Solutions:
    1. Consider realistically what hammock conditions you plan on experiencing. Hanging at home? Lounging in the back yard? A full-time hangers eschewing a mattress? Solely a summer camper? A dedicated three or four season camper? That less expensive pad may more than suffice, unless you have friends you need to impress with you custom Huffta UQ and UQP system.
    2. Will a weather tough, multi-platform, cost feasible, multi-purpose, pad work for you needs that can be supplemented by a UQ for those extremes you may occasionally venture into?
    3. What is your expendable income situation? Money is no object? Would you rather spend money on another hammock or outdoor activity gear? Or is hanging in a particular model hammock you devoted passion?
    4. Do you have growing kids or a scout troop to teach and mentor, e.g. do you get the UQ and they get the pad? UQs for everybody or pads for the gang?
    5. Is the only way you are going to coax that partner out and about to enjoy the outdoors with you is with absolute comfort and minimal fuss? ...a UQ for the queen or king...
    6. Will a pad work for your needs when used in hybrid or conjunction with less expensive econ, lower temperature rated. or 3/4 length UQ when called for by conditions that you may only hang infrequently?
    Well, my eyes are going cross wise and I'm loosing focus, so I'll give up partially finished.
    Last edited by OlTrailDog; 02-01-2018 at 14:13.

Hammock
    DIY 11',65W;V-Allen Bridge
    Tarp
    Super Fly
    Insulation
    Klymt Ins V AirMat
    Suspension
    Whoopi Slings
    Images
    Nicely done OTD...
    Failure is a good friend you will meet on the road to success. Just remember, he will give the best directions...

Hammock
    Hammocktent 90*, Sparrow, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    light & waterproof
    Insulation
    Ongoing experiment
    Suspension
    Ongoing experiment
    Thanks TX.

Funny, I fell prey to a used custom "Hufta" full UQ this weekend in the For Sale forum. Couldn't resist sniping that beauty. But I will continue mostly using a variety of combinations depending on the hammock and situation, e.g. night before last a Evazote in a DL WBBB XLC and last night a 3/4 in a SL DH Raven. Simply enjoy tinkering/tweaking. However, when I hit the trail during summer, most likely it will be with a pad. I really don't want to dissuade folks from getting out and about because they don't have, or can't afford, the bestest. Or stimulate thinking about exactly what decisions they are making. For example, is that UQ/UQP going to work with X hammock that I'm seriously considering. Or is there a way I can put off making that commitment until I have given X hammock a try and see if I really like it?

A huge factor in purchasing the "Hufta" was if it was able to connect to a variety of hammocks I own or intend on owning. HF to the rescue, and yes it will work wonderfully.
    Last edited by OlTrailDog; 02-05-2018 at 11:01.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12