Tarp
    11' HG Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    HG Down Quilts
    Suspension
    10' 1" Tree Straps

Question ***Need Advice on Winter Underquilt Purchase

Hello Everyone,

I am looking to a purchase a HG 20F UQ for winter backpacking in Alabama. I am used to using a 3/4 length 40F HG UQ with a Jaxx Drinkwater Barco lounger, down in the foot box, for my 3 season setup. I am trying to determine the pros and cons of a 3/4 vs full length UQ. I tend to be more of a ultralight backpacker. For winter backpacking (20F+), I would be interested to hear why you chose an 3/4 or full length UQ, as well as what you would recommend?

Thank you,
    Adam
    TheWeekendHiker 🐢

Hammock
    DIY Hexon 1.0, Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    HG UQ's, EE TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    I have both a 20f Phoenix & Incubator and prefer the Incubator when I know I'll be pushing the temp limits (Both have 2oz overstuff, but I think 1oz would be enough). The extra length reduces fiddle factor such as my foot pad sliding away from where I need it.

That said, I have been to the low 20's comfortably w/the Phoenix plus footpad and would not hesitate to do so at 20 just to save weight. It goes on more trips to save bulk as I, too, am a UL backpacker. The negatives are so minor to me that I have contemplated selling the Incubator. Just haven't pulled the trigger yet.

Long story short: given that you are a UL'er, go w/the Phoenix.

PS: Welcome to HF!!!

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    While I like 3/4 UQs (I have a 40* and 20* Phoenix 3/4 UQ), I don't like using pads in the footbox. They slip and slide and my feet sweat and get cold. Therefore, I don't take my 20* Phoenix 3/4 UQ down below 30* F. Anything below 30* F, and I use a 0* full length HG Incubator.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    I only do full-length because I simply sleep cold. If it's below 86° or windy, I need some insulation under my legs. A pad in the footbox of my sleeping bag / top quilt doesn't work, because I often open it to regulate my body temperature. Since my legs are far less sensitive than my torso, I always like the HG Incubator design with the leg shelf.

Hammock
    Raven, SLD Streamliner
    Tarp
    Hanger11WB,WntrHvn
    Insulation
    HG,UGQ,JrB
    Suspension
    UCR's
    Images
    Below zero full length, zero and above 3/4. Thermarest sit pad partially inflated works well for me.

If you want a simple turn key, no hassle option then just buy a warbonnet Blackbird XLC, winter topcover, underquilt protector and wooki underquilt and you are done.

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    Full length for me for all my quilts. I have cold feet and do not like messing with any alternative pad to supplement a partial length quilt. I never sleep cold and don't intend to start now

Hammock
    SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images
    I use a short 0-degree Incubator in truly cold temps. I'm 5'10" and it fits shoulders to heels. I also use down pillow to rest my feet (heels) on which adds a lot of warmth.

My opinion, though, on your purchase is that you really don't get all that much thermal efficiency from your extremities. You're better off keeping them as warm as you can locally (i.e. gloves, down booties or pillow in my case, calf warmers). In that regard, I'd recommend the Phoenix. For a true UL'r, you might actually want a full length and not take any other supporting stuff, unless going UL hardcore, then its the Phoenix and some sort of small pad.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Hammock
    DH Raven/Darien
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/HG/SLD
    Suspension
    Myerstech/Becket
    Since I already use a footpad anyway in my top quilt to keep the hammock from pushing in on my ankles, 3/4 is good for me.

Hammock
    DH Sparrow #2779
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ-HG/KAQ UQ
    Suspension
    Kevlar/Ti CinchBkl
    Images
    I have a full-length and a 3/4 length 20° quilt but I rarely use the 3/4. I use my 20° UQs for expected low temps from freezing to about 50° (which around here is basically late May-early July and September - mid-October). Unless I'm guaranteed to be on the high end (in the upper 40s) I don't even consider the 3/4. Apart from a small weight savings, I find a full length UQ to be easier to adjust and easier to keep in place than a pad under the feet. I do sleep on my side most of the time, so someone who stays exclusively on their back and doesn't toss & turn might have an easier time.

For the reasons discussed above, I wouldn't consider 3/4 for anything colder than freezing. Maybe for a 40° quilt, but at that point, the weight savings becomes much less significant.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Men hang out their signs indicative of their respective trades; shoe makers hang out a gigantic shoe; jewelers a monster watch, and the dentist hangs out a gold tooth; but up in the Mountains of New Hampshire, God Almighty has hung out a sign to show that there He makes men.
    - Daniel Webster

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast