Tarp
    Various WB
    Insulation
    CDT under/over
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles

Hi from NY!

Hi Everyone- brand new here.

I'd like to thank everyone on here for all the free advice on hanging. I used to hike and camp in the Adirondacks in my late teens and early 20s. I am just now getting back to it in a serious way. At +50, my new hiking buddy is my teenage son who wants to be a 46er. I will be joining him in this quest. I have slept on the ground many times in my "two person" Sierra Designs Clip Flashlight- it was light enough to carry on my back over many peaks, and kept me dry and bug free at night. I recently took my old reliable tent out of its bag for the first time in ~30 years... oh well- nothing lasts forever.

Bought a new tent, packed all my stuff for a two-niter (including the obligatory honk'n Garcia-type bear canister) in a 55 liter Osprey with a really cool suspension, thought I was not over-packing... holy molly- that was soooo much heavier and awkward than my daypack with 3 liters of water, some fleece and a sandwich. My older knees are not going to port luxury around the high peaks, so I started looking at ultra-light. Between trying to save weight, and the challenge of finding a place to pitch a tent on busy ADK weekends, hammocks started to look interesting.

My son and I tried out an Hennessy Ultralight Backpacker and found the hammock more comfortable than sleeping on a ground pad. The only issue we could feel right off the bat was the calf ridge. After doing a lot of research, I decided to go with two Blackbird XLCs, a mini-fly, super-fly, and beetle buckles with dyneema straps. I looked hard at the chameleon so we'd have two different types, but really love the idea of the shelf. Plus, we can interchange stuff on the hammocks as we need to. I am going to attempt to make Costco Under and Overquilt. I am not a sewer, but I am pretty handy with other stuff around the house. Worse case, I go back to Brandon for a couple of Wookies. We'll see.

Thanks again!

Hammock
    DIY 11.5' (Hexon Wide 1.6)
    Tarp
    Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY CDT Underquilt
    Suspension
    Web/Marlin Spike
    Welcome to the forums!

Hammock
    11' 1.6 Hexon
    Tarp
    D.I.Y. 12' winter
    Insulation
    cool weather
    Suspension
    Poly. S.S. Beckett
    Images
    Welcome from upstate CNY. Keep your eye on the northeast forum. Excellent choice in hammocks I think!

Hammock
    Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WinterDream
    Insulation
    HG & Loco Libre
    Suspension
    Dutch CRL w/ Tatos
    Welcome from a former Adirondack resident. Even when I lived in the High Peaks area, I never entertained the idea of being a 46er and did most of my camping traveling by bicycle or canoe. Having a cabin on a lake was wonderful for so many years but also was a big distraction from trail roaming. Only recently I've been hitting trails with my hammock and spent a week in October in the Moose River Plains. I try to get back home to the North Country as often as possible.

My aging knees are more than a decade older than yours and heavy luxury items won't make it into my pack either. (Except for the Ridgerunner... And maybe a bottle of wine.)

Wayne

Welcome. Love my wooki. Highly recommend over suspension lines that get in the way and require you to adjust and fiddle.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC/R.R 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    WB Superfly UGQ WD
    Insulation
    HG/LocoL/AHE/UGQ
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Welcome to the Forums from WNY. Seems like you've done your share of research.
    Hanging in the woods, paddlin and catching trout- My kind of living...

Hammock
    DIY TCF Sage Green
    Tarp
    Noah's Tarp 12x12
    Insulation
    MAMW TQ, UGQ UQ
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopies
    Images
    Hello and welcome from Marietta GA. Hope you enjoy your new hammocks and find success in trimming more weight from your pack. Happy hanging!

Hammock
    Grand trunk Double
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Suspension
    Mule Tape & 'biner
    Hello and welcome from Upstate Central NY! I too am a member of the 50+ club!

Hammock
    WalhallaCustom11'
    Tarp
    Walhalla Winter
    Insulation
    LL0°,CRO20°
    Suspension
    CL's/Buckles/Etc
    Welcome! My wife is from the Lake George area basically (everyone knows that). Spent a lot of time rafting and kayaking on the upper Hudson and started hunting while in college up there around Blue Mtn Lake area with my dad in law (girlfriends dad at the time of course). I really want to do the Cranberry 50!! It is perfect for hanging. If I were you, I would strongly consider just buying the Wooki XL's!! They are just so perfect and are so no fuss on the XLC it's silly. Mess around fabricating top quilts out of old down sleeping bags and stuff like that. I played around with pads and under quilt add ons I made and stuff and I finally got Wooki's for us all and it was instant perfection. Just so easy.

Welcome and enjoy!!
    www.wildcherrywoodworks.com (my business)
    www.mainechopstick.com (my other business)
    www.4alloutdoors.org (a friend's site I do reviews for)
    www.curlymaplechronicles.blogspot.com (my personal blog)

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    Various WB
    Insulation
    CDT under/over
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Thanks to all for the Welcomes! Like the idea of wine on the trail- next thing on my list is a lightweight flask for my favorite Zin.

I appreciate the feedback on going with a couple of wookies- I think I am going to make the overquilts from the throws and get the wookies. After reading about all the adjustments and just seeing the simple logic of the wookie, it makes sense to me. The goal is the finish off another 34 peaks, not have my son or I freeze or fiddle with an underquilt. Plus, seeing the quality of stuff from WB, I know it will be worth it.

If my synch-cord and snap overquil goes well, I will make a ~9ft long, 16 in diameter slug w synch cords -will post - if it looks OK

• + New Posts