Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Dual Layer Costco UQ?

Having done several DIY projects for myself I'm starting to get requests from friends. The most common request is for underquilts, specifically cooler weather UQs which leads me to a quandary, scratch made UQs are great but my skills are such that they require a fair bit of time and effort, conversely Costco mod UQs are quick and easy (especially when I make the friends rip their own seams) but aren't all that great in colder temps, even with extra fill.

I've been toying with different ways of making Costco quilts that are serviceable in colder temps. The faux baffle idea is intriguing but seems like almost as much work as making a UQ from scratch. Which leads me to the idea of a double layer Costco UQ. Does anyone have any thoughts, or better yet experience, with making a single UQ from two Costco quilts joined at the outside seams? I realize the extra two layers of shell will add a little weight but I'm wondering if there would be a substantial insulation gain from the airspace in between two quilts. To eliminate coldspots I was thinking of offsetting the layers such that the baffles from one layer overlapped the sewn through seam on the other layer, either by offsetting the baffles or by using a horizontal baffle on one layer and a vertical on the other.

My goal is here is to make a 30ish degree UQ without substantial investment of time or cost, but I'm willing to give a little is on weight.

Hammock
    Netless + Bottom Entry net
    Tarp
    Rectangle
    I made a double layer quilt. I used snaps to join the two layers together with thoughts of using only a single layer in the warmer temperatures, but have yet to use it that way and plan on removing the snaps and sewing them together. I have used mine with overnight lows in the 60s to mid 20s, but I would put the rating at 30*F.

I would suggest at least removing the horizontal stitching and narrowing the inner quilt. The outer layer or 2nd quilt needs to be wider than the inner one so they don't interfere with each others loft.

Hammock
    DIY 11.5' (Hexon Wide 1.6)
    Tarp
    Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY CDT Underquilt
    Suspension
    Web/Marlin Spike
    I did a dual layer Costco quilt as my first attempt at an underquilt.
    From my experiences, it has worked well - down to at least 35°F.
    I'm confident that it will go colder, just haven't tried it as of yet.
    Weight wise, I estimated it was ~26oz + suspension.... need to get it on a scale soon.

I did rip seams, and reduce the size from 70x60 to 60"(length) x 45" (width).
    The extra down was migrated to provide additonal loft.
    I did that to two different costco quilts, and then sewed them offset by 2.5" so that the cold spots were mitigated.

As this is a 3/4 length quilt, and my son asked about a full length one - I picked up some during the black friday sale and am going to make a pass at trying one with faux baffles.

Images
    Double layers is the way to go. I've had my Gemini set down to 35 and was just fine. Others have been down to 20. They make great loaner quilts for fresh recruits while i keep my super-custom rig to myself.

Starts to get heavy when doubling up. If you have the money, you can’t beat the warbonnet wooki style setup. No more adjusting and dealing with feet hanging over suspension lines. Set it and forget it.

Also, I did the faux baffles on the costco quilt and it seemed to work fine. For me I just don’t trust it enough if I were in a wet, cold situation. I just bit the bullet and bought a wooki. In warmer weather I’ll test the Costco homemade.

Hammock
    WB XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 30 UQ and 40 TQ
    Suspension
    Custom Whoopies

Dual Layer Costco UQ?

I did one for my daughter that I called a ‘hybrid’ two layer Costco quilt but with an apex layer in the middle. It was a one afternoon project that we have had comfortably down below freezing. (Yes it’s kind of heavy)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Just an out of shape middle aged guy who loves doing outdoor things with his great kids...

www.hikerspantry.weebly.com

Hammock
    Half-wit (3 season), Chameleon (win
    Tarp
    Superfly, Thunderf
    Insulation
    EE Revelation 20*,
    Suspension
    Whoopie!
    My very first DIY was the Costco Gemini. I’ve used it a couple of nights now as low as 22* in 2 layer mode and stayed very warm (with a base layer).

I’m a warm sleeper, so YMMV, but there are several in the Gemini thread reporting good results into the 30’s

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    Hinterland gear
    Insulation
    down bag
    Suspension
    strap & E.T.'s
    Images
    This is my dual layer costco/bbb UQ, if I ever get aroud to making another one (I have the quilts just not the time) I will make some slight changes in the way I layer them but this setup has me down to 40 and I'm a cold sleeper.

Good luck,
    RED

My Youtube Channel

Deep peace of the running wave to you.
    Deep peace of the flowing air to you.
    Deep peace of the quiet earth to you.
    Deep peace of the shining stars to you.
    Deep peace without end to you.
    adapted from - ancient gaelic runes

Thanks all for the feedback. I scooped up a few quilts at Costco's Black Friday sales so I think I'll try a sewn double layer. I'd also completely forgotten about the Gemini design, I may try a variation on the Gemini setup as well. I'm not quite sold on the Gemini's suspension though, I may try to come up with a Gemini sytle modular design with a more traditional side suspension.

Quote Originally Posted by jabraso View Post
    I made a double layer quilt. I used snaps to join the two layers together with thoughts of using only a single layer in the warmer temperatures, but have yet to use it that way and plan on removing the snaps and sewing them together. I have used mine with overnight lows in the 60s to mid 20s, but I would put the rating at 30*F.

I would suggest at least removing the horizontal stitching and narrowing the inner quilt. The outer layer or 2nd quilt needs to be wider than the inner one so they don't interfere with each others loft.
    Great thought! It hadn't yet occurred to me that the two quilts would interfere with each other. Horizontal baffling does seems like that would take care of the problem, except maybe at the very top and bottom of the quilts where it doesn't matter as much anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Geech08 View Post
    Starts to get heavy when doubling up. If you have the money, you can’t beat the warbonnet wooki style setup. No more adjusting and dealing with feet hanging over suspension lines. Set it and forget it.
    I'm totally with you on this for my own gear. However, I'm looking for cheap gear for friends that don't have the means for high end gear or don't backpack enough to make it worth the cost.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast