Dream Hammock Raven D/L
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Haven
    Insulation
    0 and 30 Zeppelin
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles

Are Underquilt Hooks Necessary?

Please pardon the total noobie question but are underquilt hooks totally needed to use an underquilt effectively? I just ordered a Raven hammock and am hoping to pick up an underquilt for it soon as well. The Raven doesn't have underquilt hooks but from what I've read on here, people seem to say that they don't have any issues with their underquilt with the Raven. Do the hooks just help keep the quilt in place better?

Hammock
    WBBB XLC/R.R 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    WB Superfly UGQ WD
    Insulation
    HG/LocoL/AHE/UGQ
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Hi Steve. I'm not familiar with the Raven but I use the hooks on my BBXLC so the foot end or shoulder end don't snap off and wake up with cold feet or shoulder. Then I'd wake up and have to reach under and snap the quilt back in to place. The hooks keeps the quilt in place.
    Hanging in the woods, paddlin and catching trout- My kind of living...

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Just got a Chameleon with quilt hooks. I don't see that they are providing much, other than piece of mind. I used underquilts for five years without quilt hooks.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    I've never had them until I got my Chameleon . They aren't necessary but are nice to have.

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 20*
    Suspension
    June Bugs
    They're not necessary but are useful. If you find that your quilt moves around you can always attach shock cord to the quilt and have the cord run over your ridge line.

Hammock
    DH Sparrow
    Tarp
    13' Winter Haven
    Insulation
    quilts
    Suspension
    Tensa4
    I've tried out a couple of lengths of Paracord 550 from my HG UQ to the ridgeline of my DH Sparrow and I'm really liking it. I have a line from the right hand side foot end to the ridge line and another from the left hand side head end to the ridge line. I sleep head left, foot right so the 2 lines stop my feet pushing over the edge of the UQ or my head from doing the same. I haven't adjusted my UQ at all in the last week (I sleep every night in my hammock) and the UQ just stays in the right place.

I have no UQ hooks on my hammock, just the small D-Rings on the UQ. I don't think I need or want hooks on my hammock as what I have is working just fine for me.

Hammock
    DIY 1.1 yd/sq oz Basic Gathered End
    Tarp
    HG
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix
    Suspension
    UL Webbing
    I haven't had them for most of my trips, but when I have them, I use them and appreciate them. You may not miss them. See how it goes.

A bit of their usefulness depends on their placement and how you lay. On one of my hammocks I placed them perfectly (by total luck). On the next hammock I built, which was at a different length, they weren't as useful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    AT 2011, PCT 2012, LT 2013, WT 2013, JMT 2014, TRT 2014, WT 2014, AZT 2015, PCT 2016, CT 2017, MSR 2017, GET 2018, GDT 2018, TRT 2018, JMT 2018, MRT 2019, CDT 2020/2021
    My trail journals, tips, interviews - http://longdistancehiker.com (Trail Name 'Beardoh')

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Raven D/L
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Haven
    Insulation
    0 and 30 Zeppelin
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    Thanks for the replies guys...I'll have to play with it once I get it and see what works. Good tip on attaching it to the ridge line, thanks for that!

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair(s)
    Tarp
    SLD & Mtn. Fly
    Insulation
    HG 0,20,40 UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies & webbing
    Agree with others here. I have them but don’t use them. I have looped a piece shock cord over my ridge line but found overtime I just got the UQ set up better and didn’t need it. I’ve also found that using my UQ protector helps keep the UQ in place. It is not tight up against the UQ but just “there” enough to prevent the UQ from sliding around much.

Hammock
    Dutch 11 foot
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Diy uq phantom32
    Suspension
    Dutch speed hooks/
    Images
    I added hooks to my hammock and I've noticed they really come in handy when you change positions, I flop around a bit so I'll change positions at least once or twice a night and with the hooks I don't have to worry about reaching over and grabbing the quilt and yanking it back up over my shoulder. However I survived several years without them but did have quite a few nights where I woke up cold because my quilt popped off. I've tried several different kinds, the clip-on quilt hooks the triangle plastic ones that go over your Ridgeline and I tried the good old shock cord over the top of the Ridgeline too. The clip-on ones just don't work at all and the plastic triangle ones and the shock cord over the Ridgeline seem to add to shoulder squeeze for me. I ended up just sewing pack hooks about 20 in. In from the ends these have work the best and don't cause any shoulder squeeze.
    By all means, let's argue about whether or not a hammock will hurt a tree. All the while ignoring the fact that there is an island of garbage the size of Texas floating in the Pacific ocean. Or how about the fact that over 75% of the world's nuclear reactors are leaking...

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast