WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG Burrow
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles

The Ultimate Hang 2

Review of “The Ultimate Hang 2”, Derek Hansen’s updated and expanded edition to the original “The Ultimate Hang.”

I recently purchased this book (from Amazon, $17.96, so I am an unpaid, independent reviewer although future bribes would not be out of the question!). Have to say, I am thoroughly impressed with the new edition. As promised, Derek has updated the content and added a ton of stuff not found in the original. All the essential topics—hammocks, tarps, insulation, bug protection, and suspension options are all there. In addition there are sections on campsite selection, through-hiking with a hammock, tips for using hammocks with children, comfort and sleeping, the origins of modern hammock, and packing and quick set up ideas, as well as many others. There’s even a short section on cottage vendors I think is a great addition as many “newbies” may not be familiar with what a cottage vendor is. (And he does have a fairly comprehensive list of cottage vendors, although there are no Web addresses listed for them.) Each topic is clearly explained in writing and of course there are lots of Derek’s trademark, often humorous, drawings to help illustrate what he’s talking about. (If you get the book try and find the Batman logo!)

There is also a “Making Your Own Hammock Gear” section that some might find helpful if they’re so inclined and have some basic sewing skills.

Each topic is explained in enough detail to provide a sound, fundamental understanding of it. In the introduction Derek explains it is not his intention to provide specific information on particular hammock gear, nor provide any endorsements, product reviews, or buying advice. People looking for more information on specific pieces of gear would best be served by going to the vendor’s website and looking at sites like “hammockforums.net” and Derek’s site “theultimatehang.com.” And I’d be remiss if I didn’t mention all the reviews and advice available on Youtube. (Looking at you Shug! Derek's got some good stuff there as well.)

The organization of TUH2 has been changed from TUH1. I like the change. It seems to “flow” better from one subject to the next. Each section also stands on its own quite well so one could skip around and focus on a particular topic without necessarily having to read the previous section to understand it.

The text is clearly written and easy to read. Some of the text is word-for-word from the first edition. A lot of it has been rewritten, and a lot of it is new. Each main topic is broken down into small sections which I find easier to read and process (as opposed to lengthy chapters). And there are lots and lots of numbered tips and pieces of advice throughout the book that are very useful. (I’m still trying to figure out the numbering system though.)

Couple of minor quibbles which have more to do with the layout than the content. Some of the tables and captions are hard to read as they are printed in a smaller font, and in some cases lighter color type. I understand why it’s laid out that way though—there’s a lot of information that has to be squeezed into each page. It’d be nice to darken it up a bit more though. (Update: I understand Derek has since gone back and made some changes to make the tables more readable.) I do like the font of the first edition slightly better, but again, that’s nitpicking.

So, the question a lot of people are asking is, “If I already have the first edition, is there enough new information to justify buying the second edition?” Let me put it this way, “Yes!” There is so much more in TUH2 that it justifies buying it. I consider The Ultimate Hang 2 the new, definitive guide to hammock camping, for both beginners and even the experienced hangers out there. (Until “The Ultimate Hang 3" comes out. You are working on that, right Derek? )

Side by side comparison. The new edition is definitely bigger and better.

The new edition (left side) is much thicker--344 pages vs the original's 129. So there's lots of new stuff packed in there.

Since we seem to be crazy about how much things weigh, the new edition runs 27.4 ounces. The original weighs in at 7.4 ounces. So the new edition contains 20 more ounces of information.
    Last edited by drsolarmolar; 12-03-2017 at 22:16.

Hammock
    ENO Double
    Tarp
    Free Soldier
    Suspension
    Atlas Straps
    Thanks for the comparison. My copy is on its way and out for delivery today!

Hammock
    WBXLC, WBBB, LiteOwl
    Tarp
    Superfly, MambaJam
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix, WL Sum
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images
    I liked the book weigh in
    Great review.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    I like the weighing in of the book. That's funny.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Eldorado (Dream-Tex)
    Tarp
    ThunderFly
    Insulation
    Wooki, Diamondback
    Suspension
    DW June Bug Buckle
    I have the eBook and the paperback now! I was pleasantly surprised with the paperback version because it has generously sized pages and the colors of the art on the cover is really unique and purdy! I have a hard time imagining anyone that wouldn’t learn a lot from it!

Hammock
    11' Dutchware 1.6 hexon
    Tarp
    12' UGQ WD marpat
    Insulation
    3S Yeti & 0+2 HG I
    Suspension
    Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by drsolarmolar View Post

Since we seem to be crazy about how much things weigh, the new edition runs 27.4 ounces. The original weighs in at 7.4 ounces. So the new edition contains 20 more ounces of information.
    What’s that in grams???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Most
    Tarp
    Sea to Summit
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch
    Images
    WOW! Thanks for the great review! I'm _really_ glad the format worked for you. That was something I sweated over for months and months. I'd love to hear any specific feedback on making the charts better. Should I remove the background striping?

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG Burrow
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by dejoha View Post
    WOW! Thanks for the great review! I'm _really_ glad the format worked for you. That was something I sweated over for months and months. I'd love to hear any specific feedback on making the charts better. Should I remove the background striping?
    It really is well done. It's visually appealing, easy to read, and informative. The cover colors are striking.

I think if you could darken the letters on the tables it would help. The background striping helps keep the information lined up across the chart. I don't think you could make it any bigger and keep the layout as it is.

You probably saw the typo on page 47 under the triple wide hammock picture. 244 cm has to be wider than 55 inches.

The drawing of the Ridgerunner on page 37 is almost right. The saddlebags are double curved though and the bugnet also has a foot-end tie out. That's my hammock so I'm picky, LOL!

On page 233, why do hammock snobs make fun of you if you use ridge tie outs?

Again, well done. You should be proud.

Hammock
    Most
    Tarp
    Sea to Summit
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch
    Images
    Oyi! What a great catch. I've fixed the measurement conversion AND the illustration (I'm not sure how I flubbed that!). The font in the table is 100% black, but it's a thin face. I'll change it to a normal face to thicken it up a bit.

Screen Shot 2017-12-02 at 7.00.35 PM.png

Screen Shot 2017-12-02 at 6.59.44 PM.png

Insulation
    Costco Quilts
    I was finding it hard to find a link to the book, here it is for others who need it:

https://www.amazon.com/Ultimate-Hang...sap_bc?ie=UTF8

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast